Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, few months ago, I've decided to fight acne with better diet and supplements after failing every external treatments. Now I'm about 80% clear! (excluding PIH :doh: ) But, I think I'm taking too many supplements, about 10-12, so I need some advices. I've made few changes with my supplements and this is what I'm planning to take, ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Vitamin A (Cod Liver Oil): 1-2 teaspoons a day

Vitamin E: 400 I.U.

Borage Oil: 1000 mg

Zinc: 50 mg

Calcium/Magnesium: 333 mg / 167 mg

B-Complex and Taurine: Normal dosage for B-Complex and 1000 mg twice a day for Taurine

Probiotic: 8 strains - 1000 mg

Liv-A-New: A pill that has dandelion/milk thistle/NAC/ALA all of them range from 50mg to 100mg

I also take Psyllium Husk (a teaspoon) before every meal. I'm considering to take a Pycnogenol pill that also has Coenzyme Q10 and Selenium. I'm just wondering, what exactly does Selenium do? All I know is that it's a powerful antioxidant.

As for diet, I used to eat white rice morning/day/night because it's a big part of my diet (I'm Asian), but now, I changed white rice to brown rice. I also cut off refined sugar and reduced processed food drastically. I drink about 3-5 cups of tomato juice everyday and eat green vegetables often. I don't know too much about diets and what to eat but I think what I'm doing now is overall healthy. Any help for my diet is welcome. Thanks!

I also take Psyllium Husk (a teaspoon) before every meal. I'm considering to take a Pycnogenol pill that also has Coenzyme Q10 and Selenium. I'm just wondering, what exactly does Selenium do?

You don't have to switch to brown rice if you don't want to; there is very very little benefit of brown rice over white rice.

Your supplements look good. Make sure to include meat in your diet; there is simply no better source of essential amino acids (not to mention non-essential amino acids). Be sure to avoid all soybean oil, sunflower oil, and other oils with a high polyunsaturated fatty acid content. Any hydrogenated oil (whether its soy or coconut) should also be avoided. If you cook, cook with coconut oil or butter.

And avoid ALL forms of added sugar. You might want to avoid starchy fruits for a while. And tomatoes are a common allergen, so make sure you can tolerate the tomato juice.

Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely avoid sugar and eat lots of meat. One quick question though, I've been reading that you shouldn't supplement Vitamin A, can someone explain this to me? Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely avoid sugar and eat lots of meat. One quick question though, I've been reading that you shouldn't supplement Vitamin A, can someone explain this to me? Thanks again.

Thanks for you replies. I'm just going to take one to two teaspoons a day of Cod Liver Oil. I think it has 5000 I.U. per teaspoon. 10,000 I.U. a day of Vitamin A should be okay right? Also, what about beta carotene pills? Would you be able to absorb that better than just eating raw carrots?