Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To anyone who finds themselves here...hey!

Today is the start of a 5 month course with Accutane (well Sotret). I actually just popped my first pill a short while ago.

A little bit of background on myself:

I just turned 20 and I've had acne since I was about 13 or 14. Its gotten to be severely moderate....not sure if that makes much sense....definitely moderate..not severe aka cystic. Its pretty widespread, covering my face, back, shoulders and chest. I've been considering taking Accutane for a couple years now but the side effects always scared me off. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I decided that I can't let acne run my life anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've sat at home avoiding friends because of how I felt about my skin. And the relationships I've let fall through the cracks. It sucks when girls are really into you..and you are

really into them..but you avoid seeing them because of how you feel about yourself. But enough of feeling sorry for myself......in some ways I'm happy things turned out this way...I've definitely become a better person because of it.

Getting back on topic....I'm going to track my experience/progress with Accutane here. Feel free to comment/say hi..I love making new friends! I'll update a few times a week. For all those who can relate....stay strong.

"There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

So this Sunday will be the two week mark. And things have already gotten worse-surprise, surprise. I've been breaking out in whiteheads all around my mouth and chin. Other than that my face is pretty red and my lips are starting to get crazy chapped.

And a note for any of those who have OCD and are taking tane-definite worsening of my ocd for about a week or so. It was a bit challenging as its been pretty dormant up until now. Luckily its calmed down and I really haven't had any problems so I'm hoping it was just an adjustment phase. I'm still worried about my anxiety worsening as I get further into my course but for now I'll just hope for the best.

On another note I was perusing through the emotional affects of acne board a little while ago reading through some posts. It got me thinking about how much having acne sucks. So I felt bad about myself for a little while then I remembered that I'm proud of the person I've become as a result of my acne...as well as other things I've dealt with. Life is a struggle. And I'm okay with that. I've learned that with the right attitude you can handle anything.

That's all for now.

"There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

the good thing is that you're taking care of it now, and that you will probably have very little scarring.

What kind of regimen are you on? Certain products can make acne worse while on accutane.

And don't forget to use aquaphor on your lips when they get dry : )

the good thing is that you're taking care of it now, and that you will probably have very little scarring.

What kind of regimen are you on? Certain products can make acne worse while on accutane.

And don't forget to use aquaphor on your lips when they get dry : )

So I've spent a good part of the morning researching the long term side effects of accutane. I don't know why I keep dwelling on this-I guess I'm just still really worried. There was one particular topic I wanted to comment on, however. I was looking through the ichthyosis board and I didn't realize until now that all the people on here, or at least the majority of them, have been taking accutane for years on end. We're talking 10 to 13 years for some of these people. Its no wonder that board is littered with people complaining about long term side effects. That was one of the sites I had looked at before making the decision to start and it had really put me off. But after learning what I have about it I feel a little better that I'll only be on it for five months. I mean I feel for the people who have that skin condition and have suffered long term side effects but I mean 13 continuous years on accutane! I just wanted to share that with anybody who might stop by my log.

All is going well-only two weeks in and my back and chest are looking pretty good. I know its early still so I'm totally expecting for things to get worse.

That's all for now. Wishing everyone the best!

Best of luck with your accutane. I am 3 weeks into my treatment and overall I feel fine. I have mild acne on my chin, and I have had it since I was 19/20. I am now 32 and I wish I had been brave enough to take accutane years ago.

Take Care :D

Haven't updated in a while. This Sunday will be 1 month down!

Well just got back from seeing the derm and doing the bloodwork. It was actually a rather funny experience. He asked me if I was feeling depressed but he came off as if he were forced to ask it and really couldn't give a shit. But I told him no and he increased my dosage from 40 to 50 mg, which I'm pleased with because my OCD has definitely gotten worse over the past month. I'm hoping that I'm just still adjusting the accutane and my anxiety will decrease soon. If not, I'll probably look into getting on an SSRI while I complete this course. Oh and the other funny part-I'm getting my blood drawn and the lady is trying to have a conversation with me while I'm staring at the wall. I felt bad, but if I watch as they draw my blood I'm passing out quick.

As far as results-for only one month in I have to say I'm very pleased. I mean my skin is dry and red but my face has cleared up really nice and my back is doing reasonably well. If I can just shake this anxiety everything would be pretty sweet.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer and fellow taners are doing well.

And to leave with a quote that I find the other day and really like:

"Take pride in how far you have come, have faith in how far you can go."

My how time does fly. It's been a while since I've posted here-although I have posted a few times in other topics over the past month. So I'm currently on my fourth month of Sortet at 40 mg. I was supposed to jump up to 60 but after experiencing some joint pain my derm decided it would be best to go back down. So my dosage schedule has been 40, 50, 50 and now 40 again for the fourth month. I'm happy though I like playing it safe. Things are going pretty well. Skin is continuing to clear up-shoulders are getting there. I ended up taking a one and a half week break before starting month 4 and I realized how crappy the tane has been making me feel. At the end of that week and a half I felt great-especially mentally. I'm hoping this course really knocks my acne out because I've deicided that I will never take this drug again. While I'm thankful for clearing up, I'm scared for what its doing to my body. A second course is out of the question-just won't risk it. But that's just me.

Best of luck to everyone!

Just to give an update-

I've completed 3 and a 1/2 months of tane (40, 50, 50, 40) but I'll be stopping as of today until my next derm appointment next week. I've been experiencing some creaking/cracking in my joints with mild pain and while I have read about other people who have experienced this during their tane course I don't want to continue until I check with my derm. I've been seeing his PA's but this time I'm going to ask to actually speak with him as he has more experience with the drug. If he says it isn't uncommon then I'll continue on a low dose, most likely 40 mg. If, however, he pulls the ol' its not the accutane then I'm quitting. It's not worth the risk of permanently fucking my joints up. I've made pretty good progress thus far-not totally clear but a definite improvement. If I do have to quit accutane then I'll probably try out mino and taz.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Well I hope everything turns out okay, whether you continue Accutane or look elsewhere, you still have my support. Kudos to you! : )

So I guess I haven't been as diligent as I would have liked in updating this log on a regular basis. Well what can ya do.... So I'm about to finish up month 4 at 40 mg (So far 40, 50, 50, 40). Besides the joint issues everything seems to be going well. At the current moment I'm not sure if I'll be heading into the final month or if I'll be doing a six month. I feel its really my call as my dermatologist....well PA...probably couldn't give a damn. What was it she said last time - "It's your acne so you can control what kind of dosage you want." Oh Doctors.

Hmm what else.....I find myself in one of my depressed, reflective moods tonight. I won't bore anybody with te details. Hope all fellow taners are doing well. Trudge on.

Sheesh, your doctor sounds ridiculous. I feel bad for the people who have a hard time with their derms because mine has been so encouraging and helpful. But you don't really need your doc, you need your tane, so touche. I'm a fellow taner doin' well, thanks for the hope. Glad it's goin' well with you too. You said earlier that the side effects have scared you off for years. Do you still think they are a threat or do you wonder why you had anything to fear?

Sheesh, your doctor sounds ridiculous. I feel bad for the people who have a hard time with their derms because mine has been so encouraging and helpful. But you don't really need your doc, you need your tane, so touche. I'm a fellow taner doin' well, thanks for the hope. Glad it's goin' well with you too. You said earlier that the side effects have scared you off for years. Do you still think they are a threat or do you wonder why you had anything to fear?

Hey there Iliad-

Glad to hear everything is going well. As far as your question, I'm really not sure yet - I think only tme will tell. The joint issues I started experiencing scared me-but I've heard of a good amount of people who had the same thing and it went away after they finished their course. So as long as my joints return to semi-normal upon finishing I think accutane will have been a good decision. I mean acne ran my life - I wouldn't look in the mirror, wouldn't look people in the eye. I'm generally much happier and more productive. I mean lifes short and these are supposed to be the good years-I want to enjoy them.

Have a good one champ.

Just thought I would drop by and give an update. I'm currently finishing up the first week of month 5 at 40 mg/day. Thus far, my dosage schedule has been 40, 50, 50, 40 and 40 as already mentioned. I haven't been going as aggressive on the dosing. Once I started experiencing joint issues my derm didn't want me to go any higher and said I could go lower if I wanted to, which I did obviously. As for the joint issues, which are currently my only side effect, well with the exception of chapped lips and mild dry eyes, everything has been pretty good-knock on wood. There's really no pain-maybe a little stiffness here and there-and the popping and cracking has started to subside. As far as mentally, I've been a bit depressed lately but it isn't from the tane. Classes are stressful and I have a few other things on my mind but its all good. With respect to my skin, I think I'm pretty much completely clear, which is AWESOME! Even my back and shoulders have cleared up pretty nicely. I just have some red marks but I'm fine with that. These past few months have been so great-I haven't thought about my skin once. I'm generally happier and more productive.

Hmmmmmm what else......oh yeah starting a few weeks ago I stopped checking the boards here. Reading the stories about permanent, debilitating side effects was really scaring me. I mean it was of course valuable information. But I decided that I have enough to worry about without worrying about all the bad things that might happen to me.

Other than that not much really going on here besides school. I'm at Northeastern in Boston if anybody in the vicinity happens to end up reading all this mumbo jumbo. I'll be going on my second co-op in January and I'm trying to decide if I want to head out west (Cali) or a little south of here (Jersey).

That is all for now-to my fellow taners stay strong champs.

How's it going MC? I just started on Sotret, I'm on day 9 now and it sounds like you had a similar initial experience to what I have going on - tons of whiteheads around the mouth and chin. How long did that last for you? I'm wondering what to expect in the next few weeks as I get this going. Other than that, I pretty much just have chapped lips - nothing else to really speak of

How's it going MC? I just started on Sotret, I'm on day 9 now and it sounds like you had a similar initial experience to what I have going on - tons of whiteheads around the mouth and chin. How long did that last for you? I'm wondering what to expect in the next few weeks as I get this going. Other than that, I pretty much just have chapped lips - nothing else to really speak of

Hey there champ-

To answer your question, I want to say the explosion of whiteheads lasted only a couple of weeks. And that was really the extent of my initial breakout. My mouth/chin area was the first area to clear up.....I think around the end of month 1 maybe. And I haven't broken out in that area since then. Other than that the rest of my face/back/shoulders gradually cleared over time. Overall if you do happen to have the same experience as me you are in for a pretty easy ride breakout wise. I've heard of nasty IBs on this board.

Best of luck to you on your course and if you have any more questions feel free to ask/PM me.

I just thought I'd drop in and give an update. I saw my derm...well PA on Thursday and she gave the option of stopping now or doing a six month at 40 mg. My face is clear, with the exception of red marks, but my back still needs a little work. It's mostly red marks but I just noticed a new breakout today :mad:. So I decided to go ahead and do one more month for a total of six months on tane (Sortet) with a dosing schedule of 40, 50, 50, 40, 40, 40. So my cumulative will be about 104 mg/kg, which is on the lower side but from what I've been told by my PA and read online lower cumulatives can be just as effective. Everybody is different. And it also turns out my liver enzymes were high...like 7 points above my baseline. Once I told her I was back at school and drinking here and there the light bulb came on and she was like yeah that would do it. Oops.

So another month and a half and that is it for me. I mean I'm really happy to come off...I can't wait to be able to go back to the gym...but at the same time I'm scared that within three weeks I'll be oily and breaking out again, which would really suck. So hopefully I stay clear at least for a while. I really doubt that I'll ever take it again. I mean I'm grateful for the chance to have clear skin but frankly this drug scares me. Although it was interesting I have this really good looking friend and somehow it came up that I was on tane and she told me how her brother had taken it. I didn't really know anybody who had taken it before. I just thought it was interesting.

Well that is all for now. I went up to UNH last night to see my best friend and I drank a little more than I should have...threw up for the first time ever...not a champ anymore :doh:. I hope my liver forgives me. So yeah after I get out of work I'm gonna head back to the dorm and watch Iron Man and then turn it in. No class tomorrow tho!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Your log was a good read.

Seems like you've had a reasonably normal experience on the tane, a few side effects, but a clearing of your acne.

That's all I wanted to say. Just wanted to encourage you to keep posting updates, I'm interested to see how your skin goes, especially post tane.

Best of luck!

Taking a break from all my hw, which I'll probably be up until 2 or 3 A.M. doing, and figured I'd post an update.....

First Course: May something or other 2008 - 12/1/2008 DONE

So finished my first course on Monday and I am currently clear - and have been for about a month, maybe more - with some noticeable redmarks on my face/back. I'm praying to god that my acne doesn't return so that I don't even have to think about doing a second course....I probably won't even if it does. With respect to side effects, chapped lips and slightly creaky joints (mostly my right wrist, knees and ankles). I'm hoping they'll subside over the next few weeks. I've also been experiencing some minor tinnitus but I also have a cold so I'm hoping that goes soon too. I'm also waiting to see if I get sharper mentally. That probably sounds stupid but I had to take a one week break from the tane during month 3 and god I felt so much clearer and sharper at the end of that week. At some points this semester of school has been hell because things have been so fuzzy. Although that could just be because I'm stupid...but I'm blaming the tane for now!

Things I'm looking forward to doing again: GYM GYM GYM GYM GYM I stopped going somewhere around month 3 and haven't been since. I'm going to give it a few weeks....alright maybe 2 if I have the willpower....before I head back.

Well that is all I got. I'll post either every month or two or when my acne returns...however it pans out..and, like I said, hopefully it isn't the latter.

As usual, best of luck to fellow taners.