Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
what is a good moisturizer that doesnt make your face greasy looking or feeling and helps redness? cause my skin is drying out when i use BP now.

I use Healthy Defense 45 by Neutrogena in am and Dan's moisturizer in pm.

Okay, I think I'm going to try this. I have a few questions, though.

What brand baking soda did you use/are you using?

And can you explain in detail how exactly you use it to wash your face?

Like, are you using your fingers mostly, or are you using your palms, too?

Do you just glide your fingers over the problem areas?

How long do you leave it on after your finger has glided over the area?

Do you reglide over areas, or just once and then immediately rinse off?

Are you washing your face in the sink, or in the shower?

If you do it over the sink, is it right after a shower? Before a shower?

Are you using hot, warm, or cold water?

How long do you spend rinsing it off?

Do you rinse it off gently with your hands? Or is it a harsher motion to get the baking soda off?

And is there anything else that I might need to know?

Thanks in advance. Acne has really killed my self-esteem.

I've used the Walmart cheap brand in the blue box and I've used Arm N Hammer (sp?). My sister and I think the Arm N Hammer is finer, but they both work fine. I use my palms and fingers, but press lightly. I think each person has to experiment to find what's right for them. Push too hard or do it too long and I think it burns my face in the end - so be careful. I don't concentrate on problem areas (I don't even have problem areas anymore), I just wash my face like I normally would do with face wash. I would say that I re-glide over areas just b/c that happens naturally when I'm washing my face. I wash my face in the sink and in the shower. I wash twice a day - morning and night - once in the shower and once in the sink. I use warm water - not hot or cold. I rinse it off for about 20 to 30 seconds or more - until I don't feel any on my skin or taste it around my mouth. I rinse it off gently.

I know how you feel about your self-esteem being wounded by acne. I don't know how many days of school I missed or activities I avoided just because I couldn't stand to be seen in public. It always took me over and hour to cover up my acne and then I just felt gross and couldn't wait to get home to be able to wash all the makeup off and hide from the world. I can't count the tears I cried all those years. I REALLY hope this helps you.

could this work as a body wash? i need something for my back..

I think you could try it on your back. I started using a scrubby thing in college and that seemed to help clear up my shoulders and my back, so I think exfoliating with baking soda on your back could help too.

okay I feel extremely dumb, but do you add anything to the baking soda? Like what do you do? Put some baking soda and water into a bowl or something and wash your face like your normally would? I'm so confused, lol.

I wet my face with warm water. After that, I pour baking soda in my wet hands and then apply it to my face and just wash my face with it. I usually have to add more water as I go. Then I rinse it off. I don't let it sit on my face like a mask. I make sure I rinse it off immediately.

im a little bit confused too.

So you wet your face put about a tablespoon of baking soda in your hand and make into a paste right then massage it on your face for less than 30seconds or so then wash it off.

My question is, how many times do you do this, should i use any other topical cremes like BP or SA afterwards? Please answer asap im getting to the point where im going to lay down some heavy cash to go see a dermatologist im on the verge of giving up.

I do it twice a day. I don't use any BP or SA. I just moisturize with Rosehip Seed Oil afterwards which I only use a drop or so (of the oil) and rub it between my palms then I pat my face with it.

Alright, I just used it again. I've noticed that some parts of my face will get slightly itchy after washing it off and drying. I don't know if it's normal or not.

It's still too early to tell if I'm clearing up or not. I really hope this works!

I'm concerned that your face felt itchy in some areas. Try not to press too hard on those sensitive areas (you may even avoid them altogether). I have to be careful around my eyes. It took me a few times before I found the right amount of pressure and time to wash my face with the baking soda.

As a warning to everyone: even though the baking soda is so fine that it doesn't feel like you're doing much while washing, you really are exfoliating and cleaning a lot, so be careful to not press too hard or wash too long. This method is one that can easily be abused in our plight to get rid of our acne. Be gentle with your skin. Be patient and give it time.

Okay, here's what I do step by step. Try to follow it as strictly as possible.

1. Rinse face with warm water.

2. Work fingers around to wipe as much oil off your face as you can.

3. Pour about a spoon's worth (in the original, it says "teaspoon and a half," but I have no idea what that is; I don't have the right measuring tools) of baking soda into your palm.

4. Lightly add a little water to make the baking soda "pasty."

5. Massage it a little in your hands - get it on your fingers and palms.

6. Gently rub mixture onto your face/problem areas.

7. Work your way around your face/problem areas, and reglide your fingers over the same spots if you feel it necessary.

Do not spend more than thirty (30) seconds max rubbing your face with the stuff.

8. Gently rinse off and pat your face dry.

You've done it correctly if:

- your skin doesn't burn at any time during any of the steps

- your skin feels remarkably smooth

Note that this is what I personally do/plan to do from now on. Everybody's skin is different and the steps may have to be altered accordingly.

That is a good step-by-step plan. It should help a lot of people. I honestly was just guessing when I said "a teaspoon and a half". I really just pour some into my palm - I don't think it's exactly the same amount each time.

Keep me updated on how this works for you.

So did anyone have any success with this?

And do you have to follow any diet?

I am pretty much a vegetarian, but I do eat a little meat occasionally. All I drink it water (and sometimes apple juice in the morning with breakfast). Oh, I drink white tea sometimes, but not very often.

This was how I ate and drank even before I started baking soda, so I don't think it improved my acne condition, but it keeps me healthy. :)

My sister is a strict vegetarian and she didn't clear up until the baking soda thing either.

So you use this only once or twice a day?

I usually use this twice a day. Occasionally I will do it 3 times a day (like when I've been out at the stable with my horse or been working outside on my yard, sweating - I will wash my face when I get back in).

I'm interested to know how this is helping anyone. Let me know how long you've been using it and what your results have been.

I'm really hoping this method will help many people the way it has helped me. I was beyond hopeless when I stumbled across this. It has been an answer to many prayers.

I came across this thread today, and I'm concerned about the usage of baking soda with no regard to how it affects the ph of your skin.

May I suggest that anyone following this routine seriously considering incorporating an ACV toner following the wash, as something acidic is needed to balance the ph of your skin after the baking soda.

I came across this thread today, and I'm concerned about the usage of baking soda with no regard to how it affects the ph of your skin.

May I suggest that anyone following this routine seriously considering incorporating an ACV toner following the wash, as something acidic is needed to balance the ph of your skin after the baking soda.

We sort of started to discuss this a page or so ago, but I don't think anyone followed up on it. I am wondering about this too. Someone said our skin is acidic - so does that perhaps automatically bring things into a ph balance when using baking soda (which is a base, right?)? In all these months, I haven't had any adverse reactions to this method, but what if I do in the long run? Anyway, do you think it affects the ph of your skin even when you rinse it right off immediately? Or does it have to stay on your skin for an extended period of time? Paula Begoun (wrote Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me) is well-researched in ph balance and skin-care. I noticed that many times in her books she'll warn that products that have ingredients known to affect skin in a good way don't work b/c they are not left on the skin long enough to penetrate. For example, if a cleanser has an ingredient known to help fight wrinkles, it probably won't do any good in that regard b/c you just rinse it off in a matter of seconds - so all that wrinkle-fighting stuff goes down the drain (literally). With this line of thinking, perhaps the baking soda doesn't affect the ph balance of your skin in any real way b/c we're not leaving it on our faces, we're rinsing it right off. (?) But I don't know b/c I'm not an expert so I am open to an expert's opinion with references to their research where I can check it out myself. Keeping in mind that Paula Begoun is researched in ph balance, I now want to quote her on page 26 of her book regarding the use of baking soda on skin:

"One of my favorite scrubs is baking soda mixed with a gentle, water-soluable cleanser. While your face is still wet, pour a scant handful of baking soda into the palm of your hand. For a simple scrub, add a small amount of water to create a paste, gently massage your entire face with this paste, and then rinse generously with tepid water. You can also mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of baking soda with 1 or 2 tablespoons of a good, water-soluable cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, an alternative that is good for any skin type. How often you exfoliate depends on your skin type."

I highly recommend her book (and books) if you want to glean from someone who has really done her homework in skin-care and product research. The opening chapters of the book I just quoted are very informative and she also has a website. I think it's thecosmeticscop.com or something like that.

Anyway, the condition and treatment of our skin is obviously an important issue and I welcome any insight you may have to share on this topic.

I use a good amount of makeup. Would the BS alone remove all my makeup and properly clean my face or should I use a light makeup removal wipe before using the BS?

I use a good amount of makeup. Would the BS alone remove all my makeup and properly clean my face or should I use a light makeup removal wipe before using the BS?

If you wear a lot of makeup, I'd probably use the makeup removal wipe or a gentle cleanser first. My sister says baking soda works well to remove her makeup though. I don't wear a lot of makeup. If you have time where you can go a few weeks without wearing makeup while you're trying to clear up with baking soda, it might be beneficial. However, my sister wears a lot of makeup and she never stopped wearing it on this method.

Okay, so I started this on the 24th of June. So today, that makes it a little over two weeks.

At first, I was really happy because it seemed like at the pace it was going, I thought I'd be clear in only a few more weeks.

However, as of now, it's slowed down and sometimes I wonder if it has even improved significantly from before I started using the baking soda.

Anyway, my skin is better from before, but I hope the pace picks up again.

that's so exciting that you found a way to get and stay clear!

I'd love to try this, but I'm afraid of lightening the skin on my face further (see my posts about BP, SA, and/or Retin-A Micro bleaching/lightening my skin...check my profile for links). Have you experienced this at all?

Thanks for sharing!

that's so exciting that you found a way to get and stay clear!

I'd love to try this, but I'm afraid of lightening the skin on my face further (see my posts about BP, SA, and/or Retin-A Micro bleaching/lightening my skin...check my profile for links). Have you experienced this at all?

Thanks for sharing!

Does baking soda lighten skin? I don't know if it does or not. I haven't experienced any skin lightening, though, and I've been doing this for many months now.

Has anyone with dry/sensitive skin tried this? Did your skin react okay to it?

My skin is sensitive, but it only gets dry around my mouth and chin sometimes. My skin is VERY sensitive. It did not used to be, but ever since I was on Retin-A and other drugs, it seems like I've had tons of allergic reactions and rashes. Obviously my skin reacted fine with baking soda, but I can't speak for everyone, since everyone's skin is different. One of the reasons I actually switched to baking soda was b/c I was sick of allergic reactions to everything I used and wanted to use something very simple (without tons of ingredients). I will say that if you try this method, be careful not to overdo it by pressing too hard or washing too long. A little goes a long way and it's easy to exfoliate too much if you're not careful.

Speaking of sensitive skin, I had this bright idea to try diluted grapefruit seed extract as a face wash one day this week. I thought that since my skin was clear, maybe I could just wash with baking soda once a day and use something non-grainy the other time I wash. Boy, was I in for it! My eyelids must have gotten exposed to the extract while I was rinsing b/c they flared up and are still red and itchy 3 days later! Plus the area around my nose and below my eyes suffered as well. Back to baking soda both times a day for me. :)

Okay, so I started this on the 24th of June. So today, that makes it a little over two weeks.

At first, I was really happy because it seemed like at the pace it was going, I thought I'd be clear in only a few more weeks.

However, as of now, it's slowed down and sometimes I wonder if it has even improved significantly from before I started using the baking soda.

Anyway, my skin is better from before, but I hope the pace picks up again.

It's been so long since I started that I don't remember the details of the beginning. All I know for sure is that my skin just seemed to get better each month. I think it was 2 months before there was significant improvement even though I saw results right away. I really hope this helps you, but if not, I hope you find something that works for you. I know that dealing with acne is very difficult in many different ways.

We sort of started to discuss this a page or so ago, but I don't think anyone followed up on it. I am wondering about this too. Someone said our skin is acidic - so does that perhaps automatically bring things into a ph balance when using baking soda (which is a base, right?)? In all these months, I haven't had any adverse reactions to this method, but what if I do in the long run? Anyway, do you think it affects the ph of your skin even when you rinse it right off immediately? Or does it have to stay on your skin for an extended period of time? Paula Begoun (wrote Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me) is well-researched in ph balance and skin-care. I noticed that many times in her books she'll warn that products that have ingredients known to affect skin in a good way don't work b/c they are not left on the skin long enough to penetrate. For example, if a cleanser has an ingredient known to help fight wrinkles, it probably won't do any good in that regard b/c you just rinse it off in a matter of seconds - so all that wrinkle-fighting stuff goes down the drain (literally). With this line of thinking, perhaps the baking soda doesn't affect the ph balance of your skin in any real way b/c we're not leaving it on our faces, we're rinsing it right off. (?) But I don't know b/c I'm not an expert so I am open to an expert's opinion with references to their research where I can check it out myself.

I may be wrong, but what I see here is: washing face with baking soda is alkali but Roomey is using Rose hip oil as a moisturizer which may has Linolenic Acids inside. In this way, she has a balance PH, alkali wash + mild acid moisturizer.

For those who see slow results or no result using this method or adverse result, you may want to check your moisturizer ingredients. If it is alkali base, alkali + alkali without balancing your PH may not work very well on your skin, try to switch to mild acidic moisturizer, otherwise, add Apple Cide Vinegar (mix 1 part ACV with 10 or more parts of water) as your toner since ACV is acidic. But be careful not to use it neat as it may cause more demage and help.

That's my thought. Different people has different results. I actually found ACV does more harm to my skin (flaky skin), so I use without it. You have to trial and error to see the different effects on your skin. May be my skin suits alkali more than acids. :think: Anyway, I will be switching my moisturizer soon to Rose hip oil and see if I can get better result. Also I try to cut down BP use. I think baking soda wash is good enough to fight with my acne. I have been using this method for the past 3-4 days only (not counting, before this I tried Baking Soda with ACV for 2 days) and I am seeing fast results. I hope I can have clear skin just like Roomey soon.

Does baking soda lighten skin? I don't know if it does or not. I haven't experienced any skin lightening, though, and I've been doing this for many months now.

That's because you did not put on sunblock. If you have sunblock on, the situation will be different. You will get fairer. Here you scrub (with baking soda) there you tan it under the sun. That's why you don't see yourself getting fairer. I understand you are allergic to sunblock. Most sunblock is using Titanium Dioxide, but Cetaphil Facial Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 is not, you may want to try it?

I was going to try out your regimen just not wash with it very long because my skin is sensitive but I wanted to ask a question about the rosehip oil. Did you use it right when you started the baking soda or start it later? I've read a few things that say you should use the oil if you have active acne, but its good for scars. Would you recommend using the baking soda until there is no active acne and then starting the rosehip oil or starting the oil for moisturizer right away?

Hi. I realize I haven't been on here in ages so I thought I would update. It's been over a year now since I started and it's still working amazingly. I'm just washing with baking soda and following with the rose-hip seed oil as a moisturizer (I wonder if that other person was right about the rose-hip seed oil balancing the ph? Maybe so. All I know is that my skin is clear AND looks calm and pretty). I have stuck with this simple routine for a year and it's changed my life after 14-15 years of acne.

I was reminded to update recently when my other sister (without acne) went to the dermatologist this week for her prescription scalp ointment. She started doing the baking soda and rose-hip seed oil thing because she thought my skin and my other sister's skin looked so pretty. She (the sister without acne problems) just uses the baking soda wash every other day or every 2-3 days. Anyway, she said when she was getting ready to leave, her dermatologist remarked that her skin looked beautiful (keep in mind that she wasn't even there for her skin) and he made such a big deal about how smooth and great her skin looked that she said, "Well, thanks. I just wash with baking soda..." and he interrupted her with a laugh and jokingly said, "No, no.....don't tell me that! Don't tell me that!" She laughed too and told him, "Well, it works." and he agreed.

I would hate to think that me and my sisters are the only ones who are benefiting from this routine. It's so freeing not to ever even think about my acne anymore and I would love if this routine helped others in the same way, but I haven't seen a lot of updates, so I am guessing that maybe it hasn't helped anyone. I know that everyone's skin is different and responds to things differently. I guess I am still updating b/c maybe someone with skin like mine will find it to be helpful and even if it helps just one other person, it would be a good thing.