Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leslie788

treating acne and red marks at the same time

Hi. I am almost completely clear of acne, but I have a few pimples and a LOT of red marks. I was wondering if there was any product that I could use to treat acne and red marks at the same time. I've been using benzamycin to treat acne, which works great. The only thing is that it makes my red marks worse. Any ideas? Thanks!

FINACEA!!!!!!!!!! I just started using it two days ago, and I've already seen a huge improvement.

I was using 10% glycolic acid every night for a month and a half, and it did help slowly but surely, enough that people have been like "wow, what are you doing?"

But just in the last two days my scars look WAY better.

you could try the 10% glycolic acid every night if your doctor won't give you a prescription for finacea. Not as effective as the finacea, but it does help.

What's Finacea? How does that work? Does the glycolic acid treat both acne and red marks as well?

it's azelaic acid cream, HOOC-CH7-COOH. It works like retinoids do, except not as harsh. she gave it to be because I asked about products that help with scars and acne and she asked how retin-a worked from me and i told her about how it made my life hell. I haven't had any peeling either, only the areas with acne get a little bit dry. I have really sensitive skin, but it can handle this. it works for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by brightening it like hydroquinone does.

glycolic acid helps with acne too, just not as quickly. it's available over-the-counter, though, so if your doctor won't give you a prescription for finacea you could try working that into your routine. i'd advise getting the patricia wexler glycolic pads from bath & body works, $60, easy to use, lasts a month.

it's azelaic acid cream, HOOC-CH7-COOH. It works like retinoids do, except not as harsh. she gave it to be because I asked about products that help with scars and acne and she asked how retin-a worked from me and i told her about how it made my life hell. I haven't had any peeling either, only the areas with acne get a little bit dry. I have really sensitive skin, but it can handle this. it works for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by brightening it like hydroquinone does.

glycolic acid helps with acne too, just not as quickly. it's available over-the-counter, though, so if your doctor won't give you a prescription for finacea you could try working that into your routine. i'd advise getting the patricia wexler glycolic pads from bath & body works, $60, easy to use, lasts a month.

What do you mean by it didn't work for you? It didn't work for me either, but I still had huge pieces of skin hanging off of my face all the time. Do you mean that it had absolutely no effect, no redness or itching or anything?

I use Azelex which is like finacea except its 20% and i love it been using it for about a month now.

What do you mean by it didn't work for you? It didn't work for me either, but I still had huge pieces of skin hanging off of my face all the time. Do you mean that it had absolutely no effect, no redness or itching or anything?

Yeah, there may have been a TINY bit of redness and peeling for a week but no, it didn't really even peel or do anything to my skin at all.

Yeah, there may have been a TINY bit of redness and peeling for a week but no, it didn't really even peel or do anything to my skin at all.

You're lucky. It can take like six months for skin to look better on retinoids. Do you want to try it again? It's one of those things that you have to stick with for quite some time, but for people who do (I have sensitive skin and I couldn't stand it anymore), it pays off.

As for if that means that azelaic acid won't help, I really can't say. It's a completely different chemical. It's not harsh like retin-a, but personally it's been more effective for me. Your dermatologist would know more about whether or not it would work for your skin type.

What's the difference between Azelex and Finacea?

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to be how a lot of derms are. My derm will look at my face for a total of less than a minute just to count how many active pimples I have and will then prescribe my medication. That's it.

However, If you want to treat redmarks and acne at the same time, glycolic acid is a safe bet. It opens the pores and sheds skin so that pores won't become clogged to create acne and at the same time speeds up healing of redmarks to its chemical exfoliation effect. Seems to be pretty effective for me in combination with benzoly peroxide. Check it out.

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to be how a lot of derms are. My derm will look at my face for a total of less than a minute just to count how many active pimples I have and will then prescribe my medication. That's it.

However, If you want to treat redmarks and acne at the same time, glycolic acid is a safe bet. It opens the pores and sheds skin so that pores won't become clogged to create acne and at the same time speeds up healing of redmarks to its chemical exfoliation effect. Seems to be pretty effective for me in combination with benzoly peroxide. Check it out.

Hey leslie sorry if you already mentioned it but I kind of browsed the thread but have you tried Retin A? I am thinking of trying it to control my mild breakouts as well as help get rid of my brown marks. Hopefully I can convince my doc to prescribe me some! I also plan on using BP in the morning to try and minimise the so called 'initial purging'. I have heard retinoids are the way to go. Sometimes I wonder all those people you see on a daily basis with near perfect skin are maybe using retinoids as they have literally no flaws. From what I have read about retinoids you either love it or hate it. By that I mean the people who use it either get extremely good results or worse than what they already had!

I was thinking about the same thing recently...treating red marks with some pimples here and there. I dont go to a dermatologist though

:/

So it seems I wouldnt be able to get Finacea. Though some of you are getting great results.

What about for people who dont go to a dermatologist?

BP can cause red marks to "redden" because it photosenitizes your skin. However, I just use a pea sized amt. of bp at night and I apply an spf of 15 in the morning. I think an spf is one of the secetes to fading redmarks. If using a glycolic acid make sure to apply spf.

Hey leslie sorry if you already mentioned it but I kind of browsed the thread but have you tried Retin A? I am thinking of trying it to control my mild breakouts as well as help get rid of my brown marks. Hopefully I can convince my doc to prescribe me some! I also plan on using BP in the morning to try and minimise the so called 'initial purging'. I have heard retinoids are the way to go. Sometimes I wonder all those people you see on a daily basis with near perfect skin are maybe using retinoids as they have literally no flaws. From what I have read about retinoids you either love it or hate it. By that I mean the people who use it either get extremely good results or worse than what they already had!

How about the SkinCeuticals Mask Im using :) I use it has a spot treatment but you can use it all over too

I was thinking about the same thing recently...treating red marks with some pimples here and there. I dont go to a dermatologist though

So it seems I wouldnt be able to get Finacea. Though some of you are getting great results.

It sounds like the people here are saying glycolic acid and azelaic acid are good alternatives to Finacea.

How about the SkinCeuticals Mask Im using :)