Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have suffered from cystic acne for about 9 years. I have used every single quick fix, harsh cleaning agent, and many different time-consuming regimes.

Acne has caused me incredible grief over the years, contributing strongly to my depression, low self-esteem, and self-image issues and I want to take it out of the equation.

Acne has been a huge part of my life for too long.

I started on Roaccutane 40mg the night before last and now, after two doses, haven't experienced anything as yet.

A little bit of information about me...

Male

24 y o

Graduate student

hypochondriac

mild depressive - personal issues you would not believe

Guest Bubbly

Welcome :). Accutane will likely make a huge difference for you!!! Oh and don't worry... usually (or at least for me) you won't feel any different until at least a week into it (and by feeling different I don't mean you start to see results... I mean your skin/lips get dry). GOOD LUCK!

Day 6

I have not experienced any side effects. Not dreading them, but I know they're not going to pleasant

My lips are ever so slightly drier.

I hope I don't get big cysts on my face as a side effect. I can't handle those. I'm really not sure what I will do if that happens.

Does anybody drink alcohol while on this drug?

Do the dry lips/skin last the entire duration of the treatment?

Day 7

I have taken my seventh dose.

Side effects -

• Back pain? I've been sitting in hammocks all week though so not sure about this one
  • Lips noticeably drier, but not uncomfortable at all. No change in skin My skin is good at the moment. My skin can sometimes be relatively clear and sometimes is terrible.
  • Mood swings - very prone to anger, nothing I can't control

I have had several unpleasant nightmares. One of them happened where I was killing somebody, which I'm not sure I think it was self-defence, but it was especially gross because there was a confrontation and I stuck a blade into his neck. He withdrew and groaned in pain with his hand to the wound. I was kind of shocked for a second but realised it wasn't going to kill him because I hadn't cut his carotid artery, so I cut him again, this time much deeper.

The weird thing was I felt that this man deserved to die, but that it was still sad that his life had come to an end, that he was killed.

I've had other nightmares, but can't remember any of them.

I also have diarrhoea, but don't think this is related to the drug. I'm a bit worried about developing inflammatory bowel disease but I'm pretty sure this is not it.

I am really not sure whether I chose the right time to start roaccutane, especially since I am about to enter an important few months which will be highly stressful, labour intensive and present some provocative situations. I asked my dermatologist back in November to put me on roaccutane and he discouraged it, and now I see that that would have suited me a lot better. But no point crying over spilt milk

Day 8

It's been a week now. Skin not noticeably different.

No side effects as such apart from the nightmares. This time it was that I called my boyfriend to say that I couldn't make it, and he told me he was going to sleep with the girl that was there with him. I begged him not to, but he did anyway. It was strange.

I also had constipation today.

Day 10

I've had:

• Some peeling.
  • Noticeably drier lips
  • Nose bleed today.
  • Itchy head
  • Tiredness
  • Weird feeling of disorientation
  • Sore arm
  • Slightly depressed mood
  • Chest pain/tightness - not heart attach like, but I can't figure out what it is
  • Inability to do any work
  • More disturbed sleep - in terms of unpleasant dreams
  • Noticed my urine looks a little bit more bubbly than usual - although this could be my imagination I am on the look out for this...

Overall I am really feeling fine. Skin looks okay too. If it stays like this, I will be okay

Bubbly urine? That made me grin.

As for the alcohol bit, it's not recommended because your liver is already under stress while breaking down this medicine, so adding alcohol ...you get the picture. Still, some people do still drink while taking the drug. I've read on here people that condone it and others that don't. It's really up to you.

And hey! I'm only a day ahead of you on the same dosage so I'll be checking your progress. Best wishes to you on your course.

Bubbly urine? That made me grin.

As for the alcohol bit, it's not recommended because your liver is already under stress while breaking down this medicine, so adding alcohol ...you get the picture. Still, some people do still drink while taking the drug. I've read on here people that condone it and others that don't. It's really up to you.

And hey! I'm only a day ahead of you on the same dosage so I'll be checking your progress. Best wishes to you on your course.

I'm so sorry you're having some non-kosher side effects. The nightmares would freak me out. I wonder if you're having those because you're subconsciously (and consciously) harboring anxiety about the potential side effects of this medication. I was definitely weirded out the first week (almost had a panic attack!), but decided to quit worrying so much and it's been much better. How soon are you getting blood done again? Couple of weeks? Maybe your doctor can do it again sooner to ease your mind.

Day 14

Side Effects

Dandruff - itching scalp

Dry lips (not really uncomfortable though)

Slight peeling of skin

I have decided not to worry about the hair loss until I'm sure it's happening - that's my committment to getting rid of my hideous disfiguring cystic acne.

I will get the bloods done some time this week. Not totally sure when. But I'm not sure how relevant they would be in terms of hair loss.

The nightmares aren't bothering me really. They're just a bit weird that's all. After tonights dose I think I'll have been on 'tane' for two weeks. Wow

Day 17

My scalp is still itchy, it has become much worse. very dry, and I saw another hair fall out today

My skin is mildly peeling.

Urine looks a little bit unusual, but not really.

No joint pain to speak of

Nothing is really bothering me .

I hope the IB doesn't happen

Day 17

My scalp is still itchy, it has become much worse. very dry, and I saw another hair fall out today

My skin is mildly peeling.

Urine looks a little bit unusual, but not really.

No joint pain to speak of

Nothing is really bothering me .

I hope the IB doesn't happen

Day 34

My hair has not changed noticeably at all. I haven't noticed as many hairs falling out. I'd say 5 in the last 5 days that I've noticed.

I had another nightmare last night, which made me sweat in bed.

My skin is mostly clear apart from one potential deep cyst - the kind that seems relatively minor until you disturb it by squeezing it or scratching it and then becomes HUGE!!!!! Well that has not happened, but it hasn't gone away - but I'm not going to upset it even more. Hopefully it goes.

Lips are dry, but ok. Back hurts a little, but VERY manageable.

Day 37

Ok for some reason my skin is oily again - how has that happened? hmmmm. not good

That potential deep cyst has not grown, but not gone away and it's beginning to piss me off, especially the othr one which I thought was a scab turns out to have grown up.

It's like the bad old days. I know I'm relatively early on but things seemed to be improving there for a minute.

My lips are dying a slow and painful death too. And I have some peculiar rash on my hands that is itchy. Could it be eczema? I have never had eczema.

My feeling is going more and more in favour of raising my dose. This was not the plan....

I also feel depressed, to the degree where getting out of bed seems an achievement. Plenty of little bad things keep happening and I'm not sure I can handle them. I just need to be alone, need some space, need my feet to stop itching, need work to stop piling up, need to sort my money problems out god damn.

Hey you're doing great! We're in this together because we started one day apart!

Try and maintain a positive attitude. If looking in the mirror makes you sad then avoid it! That's what I did! Just smile all the time, it lets people know that acne isn't defeating you. YOU'RE defeating your acne because you're doing something about it!

Get out of bed and think about the things that you have in your life that make you happy. I know that sounds cheesy but just do it! Trust me! It works. Be happy! It's a hell of a lot better than being sad.

If you need someone to talk to you can message me! and if you feel yourself becoming more sad then please let your dermatologist know!

Day 70 (I think)

Update on everything:

Skin clearer and clearer - not 100% though

No side effects.. other than lips.

Does my hair on top feel slightly thinner? I don't know. Hard to tell. But you can't feel a difference

I think I am emotionally a lot more labile. I've been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for the past few weeks. I don't know whether it has beene extraordinary events or what but sheesh!!!!

I witnessed something very sad indeed. So sad.

I have also fallen in love where there is no chance of anything happening. Oh well.

So maybe that explains why my mood has been all over the place but who knows.

Day 70 (I think)

Update on everything:

Skin clearer and clearer - not 100% though

No side effects.. other than lips.

Does my hair on top feel slightly thinner? I don't know. Hard to tell. But you can't feel a difference

I think I am emotionally a lot more labile. I've been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for the past few weeks. I don't know whether it has beene extraordinary events or what but sheesh!!!!

I witnessed something very sad indeed. So sad.

I have also fallen in love where there is no chance of anything happening. Oh well.

So maybe that explains why my mood has been all over the place but who knows.

Hi!

Glad to hear your skin is getting clearer.

Have you been drinking? I have been thinking about this for a long time now.. I had 1 drink last night in 2 weeks. My doctor said an occasional drink is okay..

Let me know, thanks!

OverTheHorizon: You're doing great! I'm glad you're not showing any side effects (knock on wood)! Can you believe we're half way done?? Woah, I can't!

elibellie, I was just thinking the same thing. Yay! :boogie:

OtH, I'm very happy for you. Only dry lips...that's fantastic! Glad that you're clearing up, too. :)

Day 79 I think, pretty sure.

Well thanks for your reponses everyone.

I have just got a huge cyst broken today. It's terrible. In a really obvious place. and I had just been admiring my skin. I just that I had read earlier that Day 80 was the day after which your skin is supposed to have settled. Well I suppose that isn't true for me.

Lips seem to have some kind of fungal infection according to the dentist I went to. which is gross.

Life is rather stressful at the moment. I have just started a new job and I am in way over my head. I am relying on some senior academics to teach me, and I think they're shocked at how little I know my way around. I'm a nuisance to them.

Plus I'm in debt.

.drowning in responsibilities, loneliness, and increasing apathy.

But let this not be a rant, I actually feel pretty okay when I don't think about it all.

I've been thinking that maybe anti-depressants might be an idea when I'm finished this drug.