Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dj23

can vegetarianism affect acne?

I noticed about a year or half year after I became vegetarian my skin started breaking out. before, I had completely clear skin. I've been vegetarian for 4 years maybe now, and my skin has been acne prone the whole time.

maybe its just a coincidence or maybe not? am I lacking in protein or something? I usually avoid eggs and dairy and eat very small amounts of it. Maybe I should start eating more of it? Any other vegetarians have some advice.

I noticed about a year or half year after I became vegetarian my skin started breaking out. before, I had completely clear skin. I've been vegetarian for 4 years maybe now, and my skin has been acne prone the whole time.

maybe its just a coincidence or maybe not? am I lacking in protein or something? I usually avoid eggs and dairy and eat very small amounts of it. Maybe I should start eating more of it? Any other vegetarians have some advice.

Ive been there so I know where your coming from. The problem with vegetarianism and especially veganism is that when your not getting your protein, fat, and calories from animal products your forced to resort to eating excessive amounts of grains, beans, and legumes. Many people have noticed a direct correlation between grain consumption and acne. Beans and legumes may or not be directly related to acne but for me personally they totally messed up my digestive system when I was a vegan, which I'm sure indirectly played a role in my acne. Two legumes to be careful with are soy and peanuts. It amazes me sometimes how much soy I consumed as a vegan. Its in practically every vegetarian and vegan product. Not only is it it a common allergen but it contains estrogen like compounds that can mess with your hormones, which in turn influence your skin as well as many other physiological systems.

I've read that in certain acne conditions, acne progressively becomes worse. The body creates more and more androgens until we reach our peak---around the age of 25. Then it progressively dwindles.

My acne was manageable at 15... At 17, my acne had become bad enough that my mom took me to a clinic where I got medication. At twenty 23, it had become so bad that my mom thought I had a disease.

They say that 80% of acne cases go away by 25, but if you still have it after 25, then you most likely have it for life --- until you are 55 and hit menopause.

I've read that one way to clear acne by 50% is gettting one of your ovaries pierced about 12 times (they produce androgens). However, insulin-sensitizing diets look promising. Keep your eyes peeled for them on this forum. And they are perfect for a vegetarian diet.

I have been vegetarian for about 5 years and I had NO acne during that time period until just recently. I dont drink milk and rarely have eggs. So I really dont think that could be the cause of it. I only started breaking out recently but everyone is different. Good luck

I've read that in certain acne conditions, acne progressively becomes worse. The body creates more and more androgens until we reach our peak---around the age of 25. Then it progressively dwindles.

My acne was manageable at 15... At 17, my acne had become bad enough that my mom took me to a clinic where I got medication. At twenty 23, it had become so bad that my mom thought I had a disease.

They say that 80% of acne cases go away by 25, but if you still have it after 25, then you most likely have it for life --- until you are 55 and hit menopause.

I've read that one way to clear acne by 50% is gettting one of your ovaries pierced about 12 times (they produce androgens). However, insulin-sensitizing diets look promising. Keep your eyes peeled for them on this forum. And they are perfect for a vegetarian diet.

I was a vegetarian for 8 years and got acne after starting to eat meat again. I had no idea that meat was the reason. You can see my progress pics in my gallery.

Took me 2 years to figure it out! I'm clear now and back to being a vegetarian. :dance:

You should start to eat more dairy and fat! If that doesn't change anything, try to eat meat again. Maybe a vegetarian diet isn't doing your body any good.

Well I'm not gonna quit being a vegetarian, just to see if it makes any difference. I doubt it would because apparently a lot of meat eaters have acne too; prolly worse then mine. I would love to become a full vegan. I'm not entirely sure if the vegetarianism has anything to do with it, but was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with the subject. Because the time I became vegetarian I was about 13 - just when the hormones start messing up and stuff. So maybe that's why.

I'm just so tired of eating. I want to stop eating altogether and replace my intestines with a big AA battery; that'll be my source of energy :D Wouldn't that be great?

I'm just so tired of eating. I want to stop eating altogether and replace my intestines with a big AA battery; that'll be my source of energy :D Wouldn't that be great?

I wasn't being serious; it's just annoying when anything you eat will break you out

I wasn't being serious; it's just annoying when anything you eat will break you out

I've posted my story here many times.

I never had acne as a teenager, but got it in my mid-20s after 10 years of vegetarian/veganism. When I first got acne, I thought it must be because I hadn't been adhering to a vegan diet! and went back to being a strict vegan....quite a mistake in hindsight. Like Thunder-cloud, I seriously messed up my digestion by eating too many grains and beans. I also developed severe anemia.

I've been clear now for 2 years by following a grain-free diet that includes meat, eggs and dairy. Digestive problems and anemia have been eliminated as well.

it could be a soy allergy, pea allergy, or from eating too much grains...

for me i had to quit eating soy, dairy, sugar, and wheat

i get my protein from sushi... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I had acne before I was vegetarian, after, when I was a near-vegan, when I completely changed my diet because I lived in a different country. None of it changed my acne.

I had acne before I was vegetarian, after, when I was a near-vegan, when I completely changed my diet because I lived in a different country. None of it changed my acne.

Being a vegetarian and not finding success is no basis on which to judge the relationship of acne and diet. You can be a vegetarian and eat all the hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, milk, cheese, gluten, soy, and flour that your heart desires.