Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxy

for spiro users

because checking everything for potassium levels is a pain, lets make a list of everthing we know of that's high in K+

and how much of these is too much to consume?

banannas

orange juice

prunes

coconuts

because checking everything for potassium levels is a pain, lets make a list of everthing we know of that's high in K+

banannas

orange juice

prunes

coconuts

banannas

orange juice

prunes

coconuts

ALSO:

dried fruits

tomatoes (and tomato sauces)

peanuts

cooked spinach

BUT....I have to admit that I regularly eat lots of foods rich in potassium (a banana every AM, peanuts & raisins for snacks, and lots and lots of tomato based sauces and fresh tomatoes) but my bloodwork while I've been on spiro has remained perfectly normal. I have not changed my diet at all since starting spiro (almost 9 months ago). But I'm only taking 75 mg/day though.

Have you had your potassium checked since you've been on spiro?

You don't have to give up those foods completely, just eat them considerably less often. I'm glad a banana a day has been ok for you, I'd have suggested eating them even less often!

In my experience, you really don't have to avoid these foods at all. I've been taking 200mg for about a year and a half, eat A LOT of foods high in potassium, and have NEVER had elevated K in my bloodwork.

In my experience, you really don't have to avoid these foods at all. I've been taking 200mg for about a year and a half, eat A LOT of foods high in potassium, and have NEVER had elevated K in my bloodwork.

Every month my doc says the same exact words: "I wouldn't eat more than one banana a day." He never mentions any foods to avoid or says to amend my diet. So far my Potassium levels have been in range--I started spiro in Feb but started getting blood work in Dec and it hasn't changed. I don't even pay attention to what I eat and I have some idea which foods are highest in Potassium but I don't care for most of them anyway. I tend to eat more salt than sugar, and I told my doc this but he didn't say to stop. I do drink a Gatorade daily along with my water and juice and tea--Gatorade has electrolytes (including potassium), but if I don't drink it I feel very dizzy and dehydrated.

My doctor told me to try and avoid salt and salt substitutes as well. I have found that cutting back on my salt intake has helped the severe cramping I was experiencing in my legs when I began spiro(but it is still not totally gone---I think it may have to do with dehydration as well).

Add peaches, grapefruit juice and tomato juice to the list.

I feel like this spiro diet is cutting all nutritious things out of my diet! eek.

This is a concern for me because I take Lisinopril for moderate high blood pressure, and both spiro and lisinopril are potassium sparing, so an excess is a risk for me. This is my 3rd day on spiro and I've been drinking between 64-100 oz of water per day. My husband thinks I don't need to worry so much, but I have been looking at ingredients on packages - not everything lists the potassium levels, but if you google "low potassium diet" (which is used for people with kidney disease, like my husband), you'll get an idea of what has high, medium and low levels of potassium.

I saw corn is safe, but I'd rather eat things like artichokes, squash or asparagus, which are high in potassium. I don't like bananas, but I love tomatoes, nuts and chocolate! I believe Wynne had replied to my post on "spiro and hypertension meds" and commented that I'll need to watch my diet a lot more. I think this is why my derm only gave me a 30 day script too, so I'd come back for another appt and test, which is fine with me - I don't mind some extra work if it means clear skin and good health.