Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
musicisjason

alcohol and accutane

I just started accutane and in the next four months I graduate from high school and I am going to Europe. Obviously, there was some planned drinking going on. Now, my doctor said that if he notices in my blood tests that I have been drinking, he will take me off it, which I don't really want at this point in time. How long should I give my liver to recover before the blood tests so that they don't show up bad? Now, obviously I won't be drinking every night, probably not even every weekend, but maybe once a month I would like to go out and have a good night with my friends, not to mention after my graduation and in Europe. Any advice?

My gosh it seems like one of these threads pops up every single time i come in here. Then again im really one of the only people who are dead set agianst it, but i feel obligated to say it anyways.

Dont drink while on accutane.

Your liver is one of the most essential organs in your body. Accutane is going to make it work harder. Combining it with alcohol is only going to worsen the strain. The retort i always get is "well a bunch of my friends drank and they were fine". Are they really? Accutane has been used for how long? 20 maybe 30 years? I dont think we will really start to see it true long term effects yet. As an analogous example a night of Heavy Drinking has little long term consequences right? What if you did heavy drinking say 3 times a week and light drinking the other 4 days. The chances of long term damage go up. Depending on your dosage that is kind of the same strain your liver is experiencing on accutane.

Does drinking now trump your long term health? Is it really that bad to not drink for the 5 or 6 months that your taking accutane?

Well ive said my peace, i hope you take at least a little into account.

i was on accutane during my little party stage last year.

i made sure i didnt drink a week before the test and i was fineee

just as long as its not so often

and not a lot of alcohol consumed

even though its kind of not good to drink on tane.

When you plan to drink you should stop taking accutane at least one day prior and one day after drinking.Drinking and taking accutane at the same time not only reduces the absorbtion of the medicine but causes extra stress to the liver that could elevate liver enzymes and blood lipids.

Like Ranger said, don't risk your liver. If you need to have a drink, fill a glass and take a few sips here and there. Just tell your friends that you are taking some medication and that you're doctor strictly told you that you couldn't get hammered. I'm sure they'll understand.

yeah im also with ranger on this one - although im definately not 100 percent certain about the consciences - i know that it is really not good do drink while taking some form of medication

be the side effects in the long term or the short - i just wouldn't risk it dude

just tell your friends your on medication - theyll understand

I don't know about your live but my skin seems to only break out on weekends after I have been heavily drinking and im into my third month. If your main goal is having clear skin then I think the drinking can hold off for a couple of months. I know peer pressure is a bitch, I just moved back home after being gone for five years, but try to keep the end goal in mind.

My tolerance for alcohol has actually decreased, so yes, Accutane + alcohol = :sick: I figured a little alcohol here and there wouldn't hurt anything, and for a while the occasional glass of wine or bottle of beer didn't really hurt me. But then suddenly my tolerance went way down, to the point where just 1/2 a glass of wine will make me feel horribly sick. My body (my LIVER) just can't process it while on Accutane. I've not seen anyone else post an actual physical effect of drinking while on Accutane, but I can tell you for sure that my body can't handle even 1/2 a glass of wine.

My tolerance seems to be the same... drink until I pass or black out. Usually a 2/6 over 2 - 3 hours coupled with some beers and whatever other party favorites are being served. This is only like one night a week though. I guess everyone's bodies react differently?

I think it's hilarious that people think it's ok to drink just because your blood tests came back ok. You're fucking with your health ppl. Good job, you drank and pulled a fast one on your derms! He'll never know you had a few drinks on the weekend so all is fine right? That's just fucking retarded logic. I just started accutane recently and I will not be drinking at all during my course because it's stupid and not worth it. Before accutane I would get mangled every weekend at clubs and bars but fuck that for the next 4-6 months. I think a lot of us young ppl don't think far enough into the future and consider the consequences our actions will have on our lives. I agree with ranger on this one, we don't have enough info on the long term effects of drinking while on tane and just cuz you feel fine a day after drinking, that doesn't mean you aren't fucking yourself up permanently.

wow i feel like a little bitch after that lecture but seriously use ur heads ppl

I think it's hilarious that people think it's ok to drink just because your blood tests came back ok. You're fucking with your health ppl. Good job, you drank and pulled a fast one on your derms! He'll never know you had a few drinks on the weekend so all is fine right? That's just fucking retarded logic. I just started accutane recently and I will not be drinking at all during my course because it's stupid and not worth it. Before accutane I would get mangled every weekend at clubs and bars but fuck that for the next 4-6 months. I think a lot of us young ppl don't think far enough into the future and consider the consequences our actions will have on our lives. I agree with ranger on this one, we don't have enough info on the long term effects of drinking while on tane and just cuz you feel fine a day after drinking, that doesn't mean you aren't fucking yourself up permanently.

wow i feel like a little bitch after that lecture but seriously use ur heads ppl

I think it's hilarious that people think it's ok to drink just because your blood tests came back ok. You're fucking with your health ppl. Good job, you drank and pulled a fast one on your derms! He'll never know you had a few drinks on the weekend so all is fine right? That's just fucking retarded logic. I just started accutane recently and I will not be drinking at all during my course because it's stupid and not worth it. but fuck that for the next 4-6 months. I think a lot of us young ppl don't think far enough into the future and consider the consequences our actions will have on our lives. I agree with ranger on this one, we don't have enough info on the long term effects of drinking while on tane and just cuz you feel fine a day after drinking, that doesn't mean you aren't fucking yourself up permanently.

Personal choice is a beautiful thing.

Keeping it in moderation is OK. A few drinks once in a while won't kill you but don't get wasted. And depends on how much Accutane effects you. For me, worst effect was high fat levels and dryness. Not really other stuff. But if you're getting hit hard with the side effects, stay clear of drinking.