Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whyme133

should i request the highest settings for affirm laser?

as above,should i request the highest settings for affirm laser like fraxel?

i 'll have an appointment to my doctor for my 9th times with affirm(!) in 1 week.so i would be much obliged for any opinions.thanks.

So you've already been treated nine times? Have there been any improvements at this point? Why do you feel it may be necessary to highten the settings?

Idnha

it's a risk with hyperpigmentation, but it is a personal decision, because of the likely hood of hyperpigmentation. You should talk it through with your doctor ask her what does she think in terms of high levels and hyperpigmentation.

as i said above, i learned that some people in this forum had said that 'hightening the settings with fraxel is likely to make a good improvement'.i wonder if it's true for affirm?

Secondly,the first 7 times i 've been treated with laser(5 times with pixel,2 times with affirm),i just saw very subtle improvement.Recently,i ask the doctor to 'increase the settings' because of the opinions i heard about fraxel;she mentioned nothing about hyperpigmentation and said that she will do according to my will.At this time,the differences are very clear and at a positive way(which i don't know stem from 'the increase of the settings'(1) or because the 1440nm wavelength is now combined in multiplex mode with the 1320 nm-wavelength in the system-the newest upgrade of affirm that recently being used in this beauty salon).if it's because (1),i will ask the highest settings as i see no danger(is it true? :whistle: ) or discomfort when undergoing the treatment.That's my point.

i would love to hear any opinions from you guys.

thanks for reading idnha,so you don't have acne ,what's your type of scar?

as i have said,she mentioned nothing about whether i 'm right or wrong;maybe because laser is pretty new.anyone who had affirm treatment,please ask your doctor about the settings of affirm?thanks.

It's an atrophic, red scar, due to an accident a long time ago. It's not really big, but it is, however, really annoying. :confused:

Good luck with your treatments, whyme133. :)

Idnha

higher settings usually means the laser penetrates deeper into the skin. deeper is better for scars. u want to go as deep as possible without causing side effects like hyperpigmentation.

ideally u should try the higher settings on a small area off the face before risking it. its ur choice and money is a factor. but how much is long term redness on ur face worth?

as i said above, i learned that some people in this forum had said that 'hightening the settings with fraxel is likely to make a good improvement'.i wonder if it's true for affirm?

Secondly,the first 7 times i 've been treated with laser(5 times with pixel,2 times with affirm),i just saw very subtle improvement.Recently,i ask the doctor to 'increase the settings' because of the opinions i heard about fraxel;she mentioned nothing about hyperpigmentation and said that she will do according to my will.At this time,the differences are very clear and at a positive way(which i don't know stem from 'the increase of the settings'(1) or because the 1440nm wavelength is now combined in multiplex mode with the 1320 nm-wavelength in the system-the newest upgrade of affirm that recently being used in this beauty salon).if it's because (1),i will ask the highest settings as i see no danger(is it true? :whistle: ) or discomfort when undergoing the treatment.That's my point.

i would love to hear any opinions from you guys.

And she didn't mention anything about hyperpigmentation? Weird...

lately,she said that she increased the settings of affirm for me,it was very normal,no side effect appeared.

@fraxelwaxel:before and after affirm treatment,i was also treated with Ion Vitamin C&E treatment(which one of its targets is to improve discoloration of the face).i think that's why i notice no redness as in the past(the redness was very slight this time,lasting for 2 days only) although i'm treated with the higher settings(maybe affirm is different to fraxel)

the bottom line as well as the question i want to ask is:had your doctor said something about the effect of higher settings for scar treatment with fraxel,fraxelwaxel?is it important?or directly,higher settings for affirm?

:D

@fraxelwaxel:i remember that you said you're successful with your fraxel treatment,am i right?do you request the higher settings for fraxel?

when we talk about hyperpigmentation it is not the normal bronzing or redness that lasts for a few weeks. its a prolonged inflammation from going to high for your skin type.

i recommend the highest setting for the best result. i havent had fraxel at all.

@fraxelwaxel:so i remember wrongly :redface: ,have your doctor mentioned abt the importance of highest settings or this's just an experience from some people who had been treated with laser before?

you haven't had fraxel,but you had talked with your doctor about side effect of fraxel?why didn't you fulfilled this procedure(why fraxel isn't your best bet?).thanks :D .

im waiting to get fraxel when my skin goes back to normal after accutane. im still really dry and getting eczema.

doctor did say higher settings are required for acne scars. but u can only go as high as your skin type allows. the lighter the skin the higher, the darker the lower.

if i wasnt waiting for other reasons id have had the procedure. but the nice thing is that it forces me to do A LOT of research first. and maybe the price will also drop.

try testing the high setting on a small area under your jaw. where you won't have to worry so much if it causes side effects. that area is also not as exposed to the sun so you can see how it reacts and not worry so much if it does hyperpigment.

preferably your doctor should be treating a small patch there every time you get a treatment except your last one. he should be doing the higher setting there which he plans for the next treatment. that way your not just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best with a high setting. you'll actually know how your skin will react.

i see posts from people who say their doctor "cranked it up" full blast on the 2nd or third treatment. im horrified. im sorry but that is bad practice. why wouldn't you have tested it first? its not that big a deal to do a few extra passes in an inconspicuous area.

honestly most doctors just don't care enough about their patients. and patients are complacent and think the doctor knows everything. fact is they are busy and have a business to run. you have to advocate for yourself and direct your treatment in a way that maximizes your comfort, safety, and results. after all your shelling out THOUSANDS of dollars for this.

i see posts from people who say their doctor "cranked it up" full blast on the 2nd or third treatment. im horrified. im sorry but that is bad practice. why wouldn't you have tested it first? its not that big a deal to do a few extra passes in an inconspicuous area.

@fraxelwaxel:that means you recommend not to be hasty,the doctor should increase the settings gradually ?

thank for your long post :D .

i just underwent the affirm treatment yesterday .i asked for the higher settings as i thought affirm was safe for me.however,the nurse only fulfilled 1 pass and that make me worry(this time 'it stung like hell' because of the increase of the settings :shock: ),i almost felt that my skin was thinner(!) and if going for the second passes,i couldn't withstand the treatment(!)).i will question the doctor again abt this matter.