Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_bane_of_my_life

Excessive Oil Production - What am i doing wrong?

Hello,

Firstly, i use the following products:-

Dermalogica Special Clearing wash (face wash) which has 0.5% Salicylic Acid in it

Either 5 or 10% BP for the acne

------------------------------------------------

I try to keep my regimen as simple as possible. I moisturise with an oil control moisturiser that starts of ok in the morning but doesnt work throughout the day.

Using these two products i am experiencing very greasy skin during the afternoon and regularly have to blot it. I find this quite weird considering 10% BP is known to cause crazy drying which it did when i first started using it. Its so weird, i have gone from really dry skin when i first started this treatment to the other extreme of oily skin!! I want equilibrium!

In the morning when i wash my face it is quite dry and needs moisturising but like i said, later on it gets ridiculously oily.

Do you think the products i am using is over-drying the skin and causing my skin to increase sebum levels? That is all i can come up with at the moment.

Can you shed any light?

Cheers!

Here is my theory: BP kills germs. Salicylic Acid makes skin peel. So neither one is really supposed to control the oil. BP will make your face dry (a side effect) if you use a lot of it and when you first start using it. But once your skin gets used to it, it is going to become less and less drying.

It is hard. I have tried a lot of the "oil absorbing" products. Yeah right - none of those work! The only thing that works for me is blotting papers (Clean & Clear brand), which I go through a 50 pack in a week. Or if my face is really oily, I will wash my face during my lunch hour at work in the bathroom. I bet that is a sight when people walk in...me at the sink pulling products and a washcloth out of my purse and getting down to it. (And then I have to reapply my makeup!) But if I have an afternoon meeting or something, then it's worth it.

If anyone out there knows of something to control oil (other than as a side effect of BP) I'd love to hear about it.

You've probably heard it before, but Pantothenic Acid/Vitamin B5 can help decrease oil/sebum production.

You've probably heard it before, but Pantothenic Acid/Vitamin B5 can help decrease oil/sebum production.

dermalogica sells an oil control moisturizing lotion...ive been using it and it works really good.