Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Going to an esthetician?

So being a hetero-type male, I have only just recently discovered that there are people out there licensed in skin care treatment OTHER THAN DERMATOLOGISTS! *gasp* >_>

Has anyone gone to one of these individuals? What sort of success did you have? Oddly enough, I'm sort of wondering if seeing someone like that would actually prove more beneficial than going to my derm and being prescribed harsh topicals that just seem to do more harm than good.

For my acne, which is primarily non-inflamed, it helped a great deal.

The problem is I never followed up with after treatment.

They get all the stuff out (in my case it would take a few appts because I have hundreds of whiteheads) and then they gave a SA scrub so the whiteheads won't form again. Being the dolt I am, I didn't use it, and they eventually came back. But it REALLY helped my acne before. I am going to my derm soon and then an esthetician to clear up my noninflamed acne which turns into inflamed...

GET A GOOD ESTHETICIAN because if you land up with a bad one you will be screwed.

If you get a good aesthetician who really understands and specializes in acne .... they can be very helpful.

Be aware, though, the good ones are few and far between. Do your research. Otherwise it's possible to waste a lot of money in a hurry without helping your skin at all.

See if your dermatologist's office can recommend anyone in your area.

as of right now...im getting a lot of skin help from an esthetician! :dance:

i've tried two different dermatologists that have only made my skin a lot worse :(

but this lady ive been seeing put me on skin ceuticals and dermalogica brands...its only been about 2 weeks so im sure theres still a lot of improvement coming.

Also, i had a salicylic peel done in their salon...you might want to ask what he/she reccomends :D

I did it backwards. Meaning, that first I saw three different estheticians and it did not clear my skin up, so now I am finally seeing an actual dermatologist.

I had four chemical peels that really improved my skin's texture, but didn't help prevent the breakouts. All of the facials, extractions, blue light therapy, microdermabrasions were nice and everything...who doesn't like getting a facial every two weeks? The treatments helped heal over existing spots, but did nothing to stop the new breakouts. The bottom line is that it did not make my skin clear. 'cause as we all know, once you have the pimple you're going to have a red scar for the next two months. So if you're not preventing breakouts, then what are you really accomplishing?

Each place had a different line of skin care products they would put me on; they were all super expensive and in my opinion, not any better than what you can buy at Walgreens. i.e. Obagi, Cosmedix, Murad, Skinceuticals, etc. - I used them all and they were a waste of $$. I mean $85 for a face wash? Spending $350 and walking out with 4 one oz. bottles!

The clinics are very nice, the doctors were highly recommended and very nice and professional. I got great service. But three years and thousands of dollars later...I'm thinking I should have just found a good dermatologist in the first place.

And realize that I only have mild acne! So, in my opinion, those places will help you manage bad skin to a point, but it is not going to solve the problem.

It really does depend on the skill of the esthetician. If they are experienced at treating acne they can be very helpful in getting your skin clear. I go to an esthetician in the San Francisco bay area who owns and operates an acne clinic. She specializes in treating acne, and gets better than 90% of her clients clear (even people who have failed accutane courses). I think that sometimes the individualized attention that you can get from these kinds of non-medical professionals can really make the difference. Most derms only see you every few months, if that. My esthetician has clients come in every 2-4 wks until their skin clears up. The facials I get have really helped my skin a lot - peels and extractions have made a huge difference for me.

But I do agree that estheticians with this kind of experience are few and far between!

For non-inflamed acne I found it to be relaly good. Its just that since last appt, I haven't been using the scrub to prevent the whteheads from coming back.