Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acnye West

Everyone who is overly concerned with other's noticing their acne and what-not

The Spotlight Effect - Overestimating others' noticing and evaluating our appearance, performance, and blunders (as if we presume a spotlight shines on us).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10707330

I'm sure you can find more information and articles on it.

Posted this here because knowing about the spotlight effect can be empowering. Help public speakers to understand that their natural nervousness is not so apparent to their audience and their speaking performance improves. So hopefully it will work for you guys and raise your confidence.

It's weird. I'm a really good public speaker, and can wear clothes/etc that make me look like a fool. But it's only when I have breakout it makes me feel like I want to run and hide in a corner.

One project during my psychology class was come to school in clothes that weren't your usually style. I expected people to all turn and talk about me and laugh. I was a little disappointed when hardly anyone outside my tight group of friends noticed at all. But then again, that is high school, and everyone looks a little weird.

This is an interesting study. It's just like when someone gets a haircut or something and noone really notices until they say something. I shaved all my facial hair off a few times and it took a few hours before my closest friends even noticed. Another occasion was when i got my lip pierced, neither of my parents noticed for about a week, i had a Tattoo done yesterday aswell (A fairly prominent one across my stomach) so i was walking around the house with my shirt off and my Dad didn't notice until my brother pointed it out, pretty sure he only realised cos i told him that morning i was getting one done. It's amazing how little we pay attention to others when we're so caught up with ourselves.

Great article, Acyne West, thank you for posting that! I know that when I'm reeealllly nervous I just try to remember that most likely, they are just as nervous about other things as well!

Great article, Acyne West, thank you for posting that! I know that when I'm reeealllly nervous I just try to remember that most likely, they are just as nervous about other things as well!

It's weird. I'm a really good public speaker, and can wear clothes/etc that make me look like a fool. But it's only when I have breakout it makes me feel like I want to run and hide in a corner.

I would always worry people would stare at me or something, and my sister

would say "You're not that important" :lol:

i realize that and it makes me mad sometimes when my friend do.

they'll wear something a LITTLE different and will be all "BUT WHAT WILL PEOPLE SAAAAAAAAY (or think)???"

and i'm just like do what you want and they probably won't even notice and even if they do you don't know them so why do they matter?

ugh. people really don't care.

i also have a friend who points out everything that is "wrong" with her for attention. she'll be like "i'm having a HUUUGE breakout" and barely have a zit so that we can tell her that she looks great as usual. i hate people like that.