Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helen_T

My Accutane Log

:) Hi All,

I thought I'd give this a go as I've found the site really helpful so far - so thought I may be able to help others in a similar situation to my own if I chart my progress over the coming months.

I am a 32 year old female from the UK, and have suffered with moderate acne for the last 5 or 6 years, which has progressively got worse until finally (after my skin started to show real signs of scarring, but before the scarring got TOO bad) my GP FINALLY agreed to send me to a dematologist :dance::dance: , instead of continuing to prescribe me with the same old Lymecycline AGAIN!

Anyway....I went to see my dermatologist and after the blood tests and stuff I was given my first prescription of Accutane which I started 5 days ago.

Day one:

No side effects, and no change in my skin for the Good or the worse.

Day two:

Slight peeling of the skin on my lips - could be the medication, could be the cold weather!

Day three:

My skin felt kinda tight and a little sore after washing and moisturising it. Think I may need to look at the products I'm using in case they are a little harsh. I also noticed some really mild peeling around my nose and I've had a slight headache for most of the afternoon. Coincidence? I dont know! Lips still a little dry. Eyes felt kinda tired and dry tonight too.

Day four:

Definately seeing a slight red tinge to my skin now, like very mild sunburn (I'm using factor 30, so it cant be - and the weather certainly aint hot enough yet!!) Lips are a little dry, but eased by vaseline. Skin around my nose a little flaky. Headache AGAIN.

Day 5 (Today)

I'm definately feeling my skin kinda "tighten" (after washing)- you know like just after you've used one of those really harsh facial washes for acne? - I havent used anything like that, I'm using Simple facial wash. Its had a kind of pinky/red tinge to it today - kinda like my whole face is blushing - and my make up doesnt seem to want to cover it up! Had a few spots start to erupt on my chin :boohoo: I've also had a bit of a headache today again.

So thats me for the first 5 days of treatment. I'd be really grateful if anyone can recommend any particular products that have helped them (face washes, moisturisers etc.)

Take Care

H

Oh I forgot to add - i'm on 40 MG a day :doh:

I admire u for being such brave on going in acuttane :) I'm on second month and starting to see really results on my acne! Like u i also have scars, but on my case is from 11 years of acne...

I hope the best wishes and welcome to the forum :) Don't worry about a thing! Everything is gonna be alright :)

I admire u for being such brave on going in acuttane :) I'm on second month and starting to see really results on my acne! Like u i also have scars, but on my case is from 11 years of acne...

I hope the best wishes and welcome to the forum :) Don't worry about a thing! Everything is gonna be alright :)

Hey, thanks for your message! I'm glad to hear that you're starting to see some results. Have you had many side effects so far? :)

Day 6

Headaches have got really bad now. Sore throat too. Not sure if this is accutane related. No more spots have popped up, which is good. My appetite has definately decreased and my lips have started to crack quite badly. I'm so so tired too. I've started using Aqueous cream as face wash (rubbing it onto wet skin, then rinsing off) which is leaving it less red and sore than the Simple face wash. Although I'm hoping its not too greasy and doesnt give me break outs.

Day 7

Made the mistake of taking my tablet quite late at night and woke up at about 4am with the worst splitting headache ever. Work was a complete nightmare. Really bad sore throat, dry eyes, knackered, cracked lips and for the first time this morning I have noticed all the skin is starting to flake off my face and hairline. That doesnt bother me too much at this stage as the people I work with are really supportive. I'm more concerned about the tiredness and the headaches right now. On the plus side, apart from the flaking, my skin has definately improved so its not all bad news!! I'm really hoping that the headaches start to subside too.

Oh and aside from being less hungry, I have developed a MASSIVE thirst!!

Really, aside from the lethargy and headaches, all the other side effects arent too bad. I'm going to bear with it and keep going as I just know it'll be worth it in the end!! :cool:

sounds like youre doing alright so far! make sure you drink A LOT of water (that could be contributing to your headaches).

Also, stop using harsh washes (I'm using cetaphil face wash).

Here are some products that i have heard are good.

Cetaphil face wash - i have it, it is great

Cetaphil moisturizing CREAM - i have the cream. make sure you get the cream, not the lotion!

Aquaphor - no more dry lips!

Emu oil - i've heard this gets rid of scarring, i have yet to use it though.