Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blank4200

Benzaclin question

Last week my doctor prescribed Benzaclin for me to use every other night and every other night use Differin. First 2 times I didn't notice anything, yes, a little irritating, but meh, didn't seem horrible. Then I used Benzaclin friday night, and I have to say it burned more than it did the previous night.

I was sitting in the hotel room with my roommate and apparently he also uses Benzaclin. He said put it on your face and then wash it off in hte shower and it works. I went and washed my face real quick and the burning stopped after a few minutes. But my question is will it still work? He said it does but I wanted a second opinion. and the directions aren't really directions.

I think it worked.

Studies have shown that Short Contact therapy (which is basically washing it off within minutes of application) can help when your skin is very irritated or not able to handle the product as a "Leave on".

I've been known to use short contact therapy with retinoids before because of my sensitive skin. You will not get the full effect as if you left it on, but it will get absorbed by about 50-60% giving you the benefits without the irritation. I've only seen this done with Retinoids like Differin, Tazorac and Tretinoin but not with benzaclin or duac. I suppose it would work the same way.

How much are you applying to your face? Benzaclin packs a punch. A little bit really goes a long way. Perhaps you're applying too much?

How much are you applying to your face? Benzaclin packs a punch. A little bit really goes a long way. Perhaps you're applying too much?

Agreed. I'm on Benzaclin as well and have been for 6 months. The first month I was using generous amounts (relatively pea size) but now I cant tolerate that much. It really does pack a punch. Be very careful with how much you apply. In addition to using a VERY small amount, I'd also recommend using it as a spot treament.

Unless you have extremely oily skin I would NOT use Benzaclin over the whole face. It's meant as a spot treatment and that's what I use it for. Use the Differin every night and Benzaclin in the morning just to spot treat the pimples. But if you do want to do the every other night thing, use a very very thin layer. I have large pores on my nose so sometimes I take a bit of it and put it on my nose to get rid of the oil which works.