Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LKP

LKP's Accutane Log

I thought I would make a blog to help others out who are already on accutane or thinking about starting it.

I'm a 19 year old college sophomore and have finally decided to take the plunge and start 'tane. I'm on 40 mgs/day and started 3/27/08, so today is day 4.

I have mild/moderate persistant acne since I was 12 but the antibiotic Bactrim cleared my skin up perfectly. After being on it for 7 years, however, it has taken it's toll on my body and I am no longer allowed to take it. I was swapped to minocycline (which made me horribly nauseous) which did nothing and I started having break outs again. Accutane is pretty much my last hope for long lasting clear skin.

It took me a long time to decide to start this process b/c I was terrified of the horrible side effects that can occur (and seeing some of the posts on here sure didn't help!). I told my derm I would not take accutane under any circumstances but after talking to her and listing my concerns/fears I was persuaded to give it a shot b/c as she said you can stop taking it at any time. Now that I've taken the plunge, though, I'm determined to see this through to the end!

I've been on accutane for 4 days now and so far no side effects. Although I do think I'm producing less oil and I def don't need to wash my hair as often (it used to get greasy looking if I didn't wash it twice a day). I did get one small cyst on my cheek but that could also be attributed to traveling/not eating very well the day before. I don't think it's IB related. I am DREADING the initial breakout though and am just hoping it goes away quickly and that I can handle it psychologically.

My skin has always been just a little dry (and oily, how does that work?!) but since starting tane I've switched to only using ceraVe cleaser and moisturizer and my skin feels amazing...I wish I had discovered it prior to this!

Hey, welcome to the blogs and good luck on your course. Don't get yourself too worked up over the side effects. I'll almost 100% guarantee the only side effects you experience are dryness, maybe a little more fatigue and some aches.

Just keep your thoughts positive and let the Tane do it's stuff and you'll be clear in no time!

BTW, it says there's an error with your picture links.

Thanks for the welcome! This website is a a great support/info tool!

I just fixed the links...Hope they work now.

Day 5:

I woke up this morning with the clearest skin I've ever had before. Not one red mark or active spot. I'm so excited but I know this is just the calm before the storm. I'll work on getting pics so I can remember this when the IB comes up haha. I don't think I'm even going to have to put makeup on to go to class today :dance: I haven't done that since I quit Bactrim in November.

From reading other blogs it's not so normal to have such great results in the first few days...maybe a bit better but not totally clear. Did anyone else have this happen?

It all depends on the severity of your acne really. Obviously if someone has much more severe acne than another is not going to see the same results. However, in your case, since you recently got off Bactrim only a few months ago after a prolonged period of time, I'm sure there's less bacteria beneath your skin. Because of that, there's probably a lot less for the Accutane to push up from underneath which is why you're seeing good results already. In general I'd say the first two weeks or so are when you'll see some noticeable differences until (if) you get an IB. Not everyone gets one and they range greatly in how severe they are. I'd say just enjoy your skin because I'm one to believe your IB will not be horrendously bad.

Ya your skin is looking good. Don't stress out over the IB, if it happens it happens. From my own personal experience I started to clear up almost intsantly and then only after day fifty did I experience a breakout. I think its different for everyone and a huge role is your lifestyle. I didn't really experience an IB until I started living a shitty lifestyle again, and by shitty I mean not eating right or regularly, bad sleeping patterns, too much partying. Just try to keep a healthy mind and body and you should be fine.

Congrats on starting Accutane! I was expecting noticeably severe acne when clicking your picture links haha. I also have mild/moderate persistent acne and it's great to find another person with the same kind of acne as you who has a log! I'm going to be starting next week after my blood tests, would have gotten it earlier but I forgot about the 14 hour fast before blood testing =(. But keep updating! I really would like to see how you progress =).

I'll be starting my log next week, so feel free to drop by too ^__^. Good luck!

Congrats on starting Accutane! I was expecting noticeably severe acne when clicking your picture links haha. I also have mild/moderate persistent acne and it's great to find another person with the same kind of acne as you who has a log! I'm going to be starting next week after my blood tests, would have gotten it earlier but I forgot about the 14 hour fast before blood testing =(. But keep updating! I really would like to see how you progress =).

I'll be starting my log next week, so feel free to drop by too ^__^. Good luck!

Love the photo of you and your horse. I also enjoy horses and riding.

I am on day 21 right now. My IB wasnt that bad and actually I think I am going through another IB right now which sucks. The first week I had horrible headaches and was very weak. All I wanted to do was sleep. The headaches arent as often now and I have most of my energy back. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and rest. :)

Good luck to you!

Love the photo of you and your horse. I also enjoy horses and riding.

I am on day 21 right now. My IB wasnt that bad and actually I think I am going through another IB right now which sucks. The first week I had horrible headaches and was very weak. All I wanted to do was sleep. The headaches arent as often now and I have most of my energy back. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and rest. :)

Good luck to you!

Day 6:

Still looking clear today although I'm beginning to feel the dry lips. No worse then after a day of snow boarding, though, and as long as I put aquaphor on a couple times a day I'm golden.

I did notice my skin was a little more oily last night. Not sure what that means but I'm hoping it means it's just bringing the oil to the surface.

I did wake up with one little bump on my back which is weird since I've never had any body acne. It doesn't hurt and it's pretty flat so it might just be a fluke.

Besides that all is calm on the accutane front as of now. Hope everyone else's treatments are going well!

Day 7:

Wow! One full week of accutane is done (or will be this evening).

So far so good. Not much has changed since yesterday. My lips are def getting more dry and aquaphor is my new best friend but besides that no side effects.

My skin quality is the best it's been since I was 12. Very smooth and my pores look smaller which is fantastic (and unexpected). My skin isn't very dry yet but I'm good about moistruizing like crazy so that might be why. Last night my skin looked less oily then usual so I'm excited for that.

No blemishes, active or unactive, currently :dance:

If the end result is this good (or evern better) then any IB's or other breakouts that may be in store for me will be more then worth it!

Day 8:

Not too much new to report today. I woke up with a tiny white head on my nose but it went away after I washed my face. No other new actives but my face does feel like there is a little more oil on it last night and this morning so I'm hoping that means the drug is working and starting to purge my skin a little (which is gross but exciting at the same time haha). My overall skin condition is still better then it has been in a long time. It feels smooth and looks much more healthy.

As far as side effects go I'm not noticing too much excpet the dry lips (aquaphor still takes care of those). I was a little more tired then usual the last few days but I've found that making sure I don't skip the gym (gotta love those endorphins!) and going to bed an hour or two earlier has really helped with that.

Day 9

Not much has changed. I woke up with one active on my chin but it's very weird. It's sore when you press near that area (As I found out by accident when scrathing an itch haha) but its not red or anything and it's def fully developed (doesn't feel deep or anything). Weird.

But whatever I'm the only one that knows it's there so that's good. Might be a precursor to the IB though, we'll see.

Day 10-

Still no sign of an IB :dance: My lips are still dry but I just keep aquaphor with me at all times. Overall nothing new to report, still no actives or unactives and my skin tone overall is excellent.

I'm at the point that I just want to get the IB overwith but so far my experience with accutane has been positive.

Day 12:

Yuck my IB is def here. I have 3 or 4 new actives that are super painful. I'm just trying to leave them alone and let the med do it's stuff but it's frustrating. My skin was looking so good! oh well, i suppose it's back to putting some makeup on before I leave the house.

Side effects are the same with the dry lips and being super thirsty...not much else.

Hope everyone else's courses are going well.

Day 14:

2 weeks done on accutane!

My IB seems to be dieing down a bit. I had a few more actives but today there is only one new active and the others are just light pink marks that seem to be fading. If that was my IB (and I think it was..) it really was not as bad as I had prepared myself for which is great! No worse then a normal breakout...and maybe a little less severe since it cleared up so quick.

Day 16:

All of the cysts on my fave have dried up and flaked off :dance: and I don't even have any redmarks from them which I think is kind of weird but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't scar easily. ::knock wood:: On the other hand my nose, which has previously been very clear, has a ton of blackheads on it all of a sudden which is gross but I'm hoping it's the final stage of the IB and those are way easier to hide then cysts.

Side effects are still just the dry lips but Aquaphor makes them unnoticeable. My skin hasn't been too dry or annoying but I think it's b/c I've been moisturizing like crazy from Day 1. I did have to swap to head and shoulders shampoo b/c I noticed scalp getting more dry. It solved the problem pretty quickly.

Day 18:

My minor IB is still going on sort of. I have one or two active red spots but they aren't huge and easily hidden. My pores on the other hand all look quite clogged around the side of my nose and T-Zone area but once I wash my face they subside a bit. It looks sort of weird but it's easy to smooth out with make up.

Side effects:

Lips are quite dry but again aquaphor is amazing (small panic attack in class friday when I realized I left it in my car..I was late to my next class b/c I had to go back and get it)

Skin is way dry. I'm up to moisturizing twice a day with the CeraVe lotion. As long as I do it morning and night it's unnoticeable but my face feels sort of itchy when I shower and it's taking major will power to not break out the exfoliating scrub!!

Day 20!

Two whole packs done and 1/9 of the way through the course. WOW!

My skin was looking pretty nice yesterday but woke up this morning with a new spot or two. Not horrible but not great, could be hormonally based. I've stopped caring to be perfectly honest, I figure every pimple is one spot closer to being done with accutane for good haha.

Dryness level about the same. I tried the cetaphil cream and it made me look so greasy, yuck. So I'm sticking with the ceraVe cleanser and moisturizer and it's working well. I just have to apply the moisturizer 2x/day instead of one. No biggie. My lips are all gross and crusty when I wake up, I wish there was some sort of intensive night treatment b/c that is the only time they get dry and then I have to spend the rest of the day healing them with aquaphor before starting all over again the next day.

All in all the treatment is going well although I'm excited for the IB to finish up...it looked like it was gone until today but I'm only 20 days in and it didn't even start until like Day 14 so I don't have too much to complain about.

Day 34

My derm appointment is tomorrow. I can't believe I'm one whole month through the treatment! I was starting to run low on tane so I've been rationing it over the last few days (1 40mg pill every other day instead of every day) until I get my script refilled.

It's been a while since I posted so a short update:

Basically my skin got incredibly clear around Day 22 and was looking fantastic. When I bumped down to 40 mg everyother day I started to notice a couple little red spots emerging so I'm kind of bummed about that but so far they haven't come to a head at all and just sort of dissappear. My lips and skin are still dry but to be honest I've stopped noticing for the most part, I just keep aquaphor with me at all times.

Hopefully all goes well tomorrow with my blood work, etc and I can get started on month two! Hope everyone elses courses are going well!

So its been forever since I posted last. I'm now on month three of my accutane road. I moved home for the summer and subsequently changed derms (home is in a different state from college)...what a pain that was! iPledge does not make the process very easy.

My 'new' derm (aka the one I've seen since I was 11 years old) bumped me up to 60 mg/day of tane. I was pretty freaked my skin was going to wig out but it's still clear and besides a bit more dryness in the lip area no difference whatsoever. I even went on a caribbean cruise with no consequences as far as sun sensitivity went and my skin was clear the whole time! :dance:

Basically my skin looks amazing, better then it ever has since I was a little kid. Not a spot or a bump on it. I wish I had done this years and years ago, it would have saved me alot of grief. Anyone on the fence about taking the plunge should def do it. I held off for a long time b/c I dreaded the side effects but besides dry lips the only side effect I've had is super clear skin! I hope everyone else's treatments are going as well!