Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im 20. Iv had acne sence 13. Its been moderate to mild most times. However when i was around 16 to 18 it was quite severe. Iv taken accutane 3 times and it has always helped but my acne has returned after couple of monts. Its been about a month sence i quite accutane again. How ever my biggest problem has never been acne but the SCARS!

I have severe hypertrophic (raised) scars on my chest/shoulders/back-area and moderate to mild dented scars on my face. :boohoo:

There is hope to fix the dented scars but absolutely no hope for the hypertrophic scarring! They look like pimples! I have about 100 tiny RED scars. They range from 1mm to about 2cm. Nothing has worked to fix the redness, which is my main concern. Sence it makes them look just like acne! I even tryed pulse laser, but it didnt work! There is no hope and i have to live whit them till the day i die and i simply cant take off my shirt in public. I have totally isolated myself from the rest of the world. My shrink tells me i just have mental problems but she hasnt even seen the scarring and she just does not understand. i dont see how my life could improve. Im totally lost. Im suppose to go back to school in few weeks but i just dont know if i can keep myself there. What do you think I should do? :boohoo:

First, show your shrink the scarring. That way she knows there is a basis for your emotions.

Next, the skin is INCREDIBLY resilient. Things look like crap now but in a few years a lot of things will mellow out. I speak from experience on this one.

I've had acne since I was 8 years old. I'm 22 now. Yes you read right, 12 years of acne. Most of which was cystic. Its only been in the last 6 months that cysts haven't popped up. I was not allowed to go on accutane because of the health risks. I also had lots of hypertrophic scars. They do fade with time.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself on your skin and acne in general. There's a lot you can do to help your skin along and this website knows damn near all of them. Don't be shy.

Good luck