Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glorianaf

Libido in Long Term Spiro Users

Hi Everyone,

I've been on Spiro now for almost a year and I feel like I've lost my sex drive. I am planning a wedding and a move to Europe shortly thereafter and there's definitely alot of stress in my life right now. I think the stress of everything I have on my plate right now could be a factor but I can't help but think that spiro is the main culprit. I hate to attribute the loss of libido to the spiro because it has literally changed my life and I am now acne free, but physiologically it makes sense that lowered testosterone would result in lowered libido. Any other long term spiro users going through the same thing? Any tips, tricks or words of wisdom? I hate to think that this is the price I have to pay for clear skin! So frustrating....

Well my experience could counter act yours.... Ever since I have started taking tane I have been way to horny...... now the stupidest things make me horny it is ridiculous...

Maybe it is different for girls and guys, I dunno.

I hate to attribute the loss of libido to the spiro because it has literally changed my life and I am now acne free, but physiologically it makes sense that lowered testosterone would result in lowered libido.

There is a product called Argin-Max that has been proven to be helpful in restoring libido. I wonder if that might be helpful. You can get it on-line or at the GNC.

Thank you all for your replies. It is a tricky situation, indeed...I guess I'm just going to have to work a bit harder to get psyched up for sex. It's so weird to have to try though, when I was younger you I was always ready to go :) I will look into that Argin-Max, Boston50, thanks for the suggestion.

It's 100% the spiro most likely. Once I got off of spiro I was horny lots and lots, it was great. I'd rather have acne and a good sex life, but that's me.

Spironolactone's active metabolite has a long half life and can take 3-6 days to fully leave the body.

It's 100% the spiro most likely. Once I got off of spiro I was horny lots and lots, it was great. I'd rather have acne and a good sex life, but that's me.

Spironolactone's active metabolite has a long half life and can take 3-6 days to fully leave the body.

are you still doing the topical spiro?

Nah, I quit using a couple weeks again because I get mostly the same reduction in acne as I would with niacinamide and I'm more concerned with the toxicity and hormonal effects of spironolactone than I am niacinamide. I had such bad experiences with oral spiro that I'm kind of afraid of it now.

I also tried isopropyl palmitate with spironolactone for a short time (as a surfactant) and it seemed to enhance the effectiveness a bit, but it could have been placebo. I bet if someone were to make a spironolactone cream or gel that had moderate skin absorption with a surfactant or some other transdermal preparation it would be highly effective and with less of the side effects of oral use.

I'm still looking for a miracle cure -- the topical spiro and niacinamide are nice but I still get a bit of acne with them, and a bit is too much...

interesting. isopropyl palmitate is just a moisterizer really, either from palm oil or artificially created. and i've taken oral niacin before (flush!! hehehe) but do you do that topcially or orally? i've not heard that it helps acne a whole lot

interesting. isopropyl palmitate is just a moisterizer really, either from palm oil or artificially created. and i've taken oral niacin before (flush!! hehehe) but do you do that topcially or orally? i've not heard that it helps acne a whole lot

I use 25% niacinamide in a cream. Niacinamide and niacin are two different compounds actually, niacinamide being the more effective one for acne. I recall a topical study that showed it was more effective in reducing acne than clindamycin cream (something like 85% vs. 65% of users experienced significant improvement).

I'm in the same boat as glorianaf. I've been taking 150-175mg of spiro for about a year now and I've noticed a significant decrease in my sex drive. When I first started going out with my (now) fiance I was just starting spiro at a very low dose of 50mg and I had no problems then. I have been under some stress with work and school, but I mean, now it takes a lot of effort to turn me on and yes, I'm still very much and love and attracted to my guy. I'm thinking of dropping back down to 100mg and suffer the consequences of a little more acne.

Sunnygirl! Nice to hear from you. Congrats on your engagement! It doesn't seem like too long ago that you were posting about a difficult breakup and then a new boyfriend. Good for you...I'm glad it worked out with this one. I too am newly engaged and planning a wedding, it's crazy business...but fun! Sorry to hear you are dealing with your libido too, it's hard isn't it! I'm kind of experimenting a bit with my spiro now. With a nod from my MD I've decided to alternate topical spiro with the oral. The libido thing is annoying and the fact that it caused tumors in rats in studies is definitely not comforting. I'm a compounding pharmacist so I am trying to formulate something in my lab. I've heard of people having success with a spiro/azelaic acid combo so I'm going to try it. Spiro is not well absorbed topically and supposedly can work almost as well as oral spiro without all the unpleasant (and potentially dangerous) side effects. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and I'll report back in a few weeks with any news. Good luck to you all.

Sunnygirl! Nice to hear from you. Congrats on your engagement! It doesn't seem like too long ago that you were posting about a difficult breakup and then a new boyfriend. Good for you...I'm glad it worked out with this one. I too am newly engaged and planning a wedding, it's crazy business...but fun! Sorry to hear you are dealing with your libido too, it's hard isn't it! I'm kind of experimenting a bit with my spiro now. With a nod from my MD I've decided to alternate topical spiro with the oral. The libido thing is annoying and the fact that it caused tumors in rats in studies is definitely not comforting. I'm a compounding pharmacist so I am trying to formulate something in my lab. I've heard of people having success with a spiro/azelaic acid combo so I'm going to try it. Spiro is not well absorbed topically and supposedly can work almost as well as oral spiro without all the unpleasant (and potentially dangerous) side effects. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and I'll report back in a few weeks with any news. Good luck to you all.

I just bought topical spiro from a hairloss site a few weeks ago and have been using it. I'm giving it a month or so before I drop down in dose from spiro.

I started at 100mg once a day and didn't get my period for 3 months, so I dropped it down to 75, but was noticing a serious downturn in libido as well as orgasmic capacity. That didn't help much and now I'm down to 50mg. I haven't broken out at all going down in dose, but my acne is quite severe and I'm not sure that 25 mg will cut it.

My eventual goal is to just use the topical spiro as I really really enjoy sex (when my hormones tell me I do... lol) and it's just not cool to lose your ability to orgasm.

You can buy topical spiro on the cheap without a perscription if you live outside of the united states. Just google it.

I've been on spiro for 5 months now and noticed the libido thing 3 months in.

That is interesting. According to my derm, spiro does not change the levels of hormones in your body. It simply keeps your hormones from affecting certain receptors. But maybe one of the receptors has to do with sexual stuff. Don't know. I haven't had any problems in the 9 months or so I've taken spiro, but I'm only on 50 mg.

I have been on spiro for around nine years now. I definitely feel like my sex drive is kind of "blah" -- plus it takes me forever to orgasm. My goal is to slowly taper off spiro over the next year and treat myself with diet and natural supplements. I would love to have a stronger sex drive! I'll report back if I notice any changes as I start to taper off.

(By the way, I am on 100mg/day now... started at 50, then 75, then 100. Sex drive was better at first, but maybe it was because I was a teen -- age 15? Or it is the increased doseage.)

i've been using azelaic acid and i don think it's done much, but then again i could be wrong. oral spiro has been pretty effective. but i topical spiro wont get other symptoms associated with hormonal imbalance, am i correct?

Test Tube - How bad was your acne before? Do you think that topical anti-androgens can work as well as spiro?

not totally, i still had a little acne, but less of the cystic and nasty sort

even on oral spiro i'd get acne every now and then, but it'd be like one lesion every month or so

i'm thinking about going back on topical spiro because my face is starting to scar up kind of bad and it's driving me nuts

So I've got a new formulation of topical spironolactone that I've been trying out, extracted from the pills I have. So far so good, I'll post up info later on how I made it if I feel it works out for me in the longer term. Still got small amounts of acne but it (and sebum secretion) seems reduced.

Crossing my fingers my skin won't go bazonkers again in the next few weeks! lol.. The new formulation also is very easy to apply, clear and dries fast, still has the spiro mint smell for about an hour though.