Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EnkaiNami

New to facial redness...need some advice, please

I've had acne/pimples since I was 9, so I thought I knew how to treat all of it, but I don't know what the heck this is. Parts of my cheeks have an almost rash like redness. It swells up and turns deep red after washing, and I loathe it.

A few hours after I washed it, it'll go down slightly and turn a little less red and be a combination of purple and red. It's hard to explain-it affects like the center part of the cheek: from ear just short of reaching my nose, in a straight line on each cheek. It feels dry and flaky with about 6-7 pimples in that patch. It's hard to treat because nothing seems to help.

Anyways, I was hoping someone could 'diagnose' what I have at least. It's clearly inflamed, but I don't know how to make it go away because I can't look up treatments if I don't know what I have. Please help.

Edit: Oh, also, it seemed to increase after I tried Retin-A. I had retin-a (or some form of it) 0.01%, which wasn't so bad but it kept it kind of pinkish, then the derm. gave me a stronger version. Baaad mistake. 5 weeks later I had to quit because it flaked and peeled so bad, and the redness increased greatly. A month later after quitting, and the redness still won't go away.

You know, for years, I scrubbed, I peeled and I masked. I finally figured out that GENTLE was best. I don't know what you have -- you really should see a dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis. But here are some, I hope, helpful suggestions:

-Don't scrub your face.

-gentle cleanser only

-drink lots of water (6-8 cups)

-include 1000 mg of fish oil supplement

-increase fruits and vegetables

-add a total of 50 mg of zinc (if your multivitamin has some, do the math so you don't overdose)

-drink green tea (pure inventions makes and excellent tincture)

-drink ginger tea (anti-inflammatory)

-get some exercise but make sure you wash gently after

-use tepid water, closer to cold -- never hot -- while washing

-wear daily sunscreen (MyChelle Sun Shield spf 28 is the only one that doesn't make me break out)

-wear a hat if you'll be in the sun longer than 15 minutes

-decrease sugar

-try MyChelle Capillary Calming Serum, it helps with redness

It's a long list but worth it. My skin is clear now and I am now working on superficial scarring.

i have this problem too..have had it for quite a while. Like even just washing your skin irritates it.