Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HCD

Horrible Chest Acne

I use to be confident. world was in my hands. i figured at age 17 i would never deal with acne. half way through my senior year of high school (age 18) i began to see 100's of black heads all over my chest. Never having acne before i thought nothing of it. I began to get acne all over my chest.. went on actutane. against my doctors advice started taking 2 -3 pills a day. Cleared up all the acne fast, within months.. but i had huge purple marks on my chest. Being "smart" i picked at them.. I have enormous scars and red marks as a constant reminder of acne. I have had several laser treatments from my dermatologist. 5 actually. I have attached a picture of my chest scars.. I have also had a couple of the larger acne marks "cut out" recently.. that is the stitching you will notice. The laser treatments are not the result that i had wished for.. Recently my girlfriend of 5 months found out about them. She tells me its ok and she thinks they are "cool" and "loves" them. I find this hard to believe. I tell her i am pretty sure that a desired trait is not looking like you have been attacked with a hatchet.. I have been searching these forums for the past 4 and half hours and i have seen some people that i just want to cry for.. i feel awful.. i dont have the same issues with my facial acne.. but non the less i am depressed about it.. i am usually a happy person, but when i do think about my issue i sometime sit for hours just thinking.. constantly going up to the mirror over and over.. following my 6-pack upwards to my chest and seeing this awful site.. then i ask myself the questions why does it even matter that i work out to have a nice body and a 6-pack why did this happen to me? what did i do to deserve this.. ? I want to go swimming.. i want to show off a body i have worked the last 6 months to create.. i want to feel confident in myself. Whats done is done i cant change anything.. but thats why i am here.. help i suppose.. Any comments or questions about my story?? Any treatment ideas?? How bad is my situation?

me:

Me

my chest acne:

Chest

It's too bad u feel bad about your chest. I am a guy and can tell your a good lookin guy ;). Basically I have horrid bacne scars but I figure theres worse out there and honestly there not that unsightly. You wont be able to cure those sadly so you must live with it.

Good luck I know its hard. My back is horrid but hey, there are worse things in this world.

sorry I can't be too helpful.. but from what I heard.. there is alot that can be done about the redness of the acne scars. I'm not sure specifics so hopefully someone can chime in and fill me in, but as far as I know there isnt much that can be done about the texture of the scars but like I said you can get the redness greatly reduced I believe.

btw.. I know how you feel. I have had quite a bit of back acne (and a bit of chest acne) since I was 13 (i'm now 18)

I'm convinced that retinoids can do a lot for those scars. It may take a year or two, but retinoids remodel the skin and remove scarring.

V-beam is a laser treatment designed specifically to use on redness. I've done two treatments, they say that's all I'll need. I guess I've seen a little improvement in the redness of my scars, but not a ton. Also, I'm not sure what's really helping, is it time, the treatments or the different creams I try? It might be worth a shot though since it's not too expensive.

I think chemical peels help out redness a lot too.

Also, I've been kicking this idea around for a bit, I haven't really discussed it with anyone who knows anything but maybe something like permanent makeup could help. Or since you don't have too many scars, you could just try normal makeup or something.

What did you get cut out? Were your scars raised and then injected? How long ago if so? Have the surgery scars improved at all?

Swimming is what I miss the most, I used to love going to the beach or hopping in the pool. Now I refuse to be shirtless around anyone, it's terrible. I get so jealous when like my roommates can walk around the house without shirts and feel confident. I would do anything to be able to do that.

Finally, why did it take 5 months before your girlfriend saw your scars? Haha.

V-beam is a laser treatment designed specifically to use on redness. I've done two treatments, they say that's all I'll need. I guess I've seen a little improvement in the redness of my scars, but not a ton. Also, I'm not sure what's really helping, is it time, the treatments or the different creams I try? It might be worth a shot though since it's not too expensive.

I think chemical peels help out redness a lot too.

Also, I've been kicking this idea around for a bit, I haven't really discussed it with anyone who knows anything but maybe something like permanent makeup could help. Or since you don't have too many scars, you could just try normal makeup or something.

What did you get cut out? Were your scars raised and then injected? How long ago if so? Have the surgery scars improved at all?

Swimming is what I miss the most, I used to love going to the beach or hopping in the pool. Now I refuse to be shirtless around anyone, it's terrible. I get so jealous when like my roommates can walk around the house without shirts and feel confident. I would do anything to be able to do that.

Finally, why did it take 5 months before your girlfriend saw your scars? Haha.

I wish I could get a good dermatologist, it seems like no one in this industry really cares about you. Especially not your emotions. The plastic surgeons are all about money and my dermatologists have always seemed to busy to care. I'm not really sure how to find a good one.

What kind of laser treatment(s) did you do? How many? You said the laser treatments were ineffective.. could you elaborate. Did they help with color or texture in any way? Is the cutting, is that what they call subcision? Are you having more laser treatments done?

When I'm in the bedroom I just don't take my shirt off until like right before we get started and at that point I make sure it's like really dark. It's such a weird situation for us.

Yeah man, ima dude to and im still gonna say your a good lookin dude, im not being weird its just the truth. I feel ya ya bro, i have chest acne and it sucks to boot! Takes your confidence and shreds it to pieces for real. Other than the scar it looks like you have everything else under control. Im sure those scars will get a lil better than they are now, maybe change a closer color to your skin would be nice, i only hope for the best for you! I know having body acne blows!

Good Luck to you man!

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say your pretty face is pretty much gonna save you alot of heartache. I know personally that I wouldn't toss you outta the sheets for eating a box of crackers...I'd say that if you are distressed about their appearance to talk to a cosmetic dermatologist, or a dermatologist in general. It's worth every penny if it helps you out emotionally. Good luck, and all the best!

-Drewbie-

I hate it when people compliment your face when you still have the scarring on the body. I'm in the same boat, I'm a pretty good looking guy on the outside, just I have the body scars. Complimenting my outside appearance doesn't help me at all with the scars.

I wish I could get a good dermatologist, it seems like no one in this industry really cares about you. Especially not your emotions. The plastic surgeons are all about money and my dermatologists have always seemed to busy to care. I'm not really sure how to find a good one.

What kind of laser treatment(s) did you do? How many? You said the laser treatments were ineffective.. could you elaborate. Did they help with color or texture in any way? Is the cutting, is that what they call subcision? Are you having more laser treatments done?

When I'm in the bedroom I just don't take my shirt off until like right before we get started and at that point I make sure it's like really dark. It's such a weird situation for us.

Yeah man, ima dude to and im still gonna say your a good lookin dude, im not being weird its just the truth. I feel ya ya bro, i have chest acne and it sucks to boot! Takes your confidence and shreds it to pieces for real. Other than the scar it looks like you have everything else under control. Im sure those scars will get a lil better than they are now, maybe change a closer color to your skin would be nice, i only hope for the best for you! I know having body acne blows!

Good Luck to you man!

I know this sounds cliche'....but i feel your pain man....i also have bad acne scars on my chest :cry: . I know the how it can totally kill your confidence........and you are an attractive guy, so am i, (so iv been told).....but its almost bittersweet when you get a compliment like that cause they don't know what you hide........i hold back so much and i don't do SO many things cause of my skin....its really stupid........but i still have active acne on my face, arms, and chest......i'm working with my Dr. and it seems to help somewhat.

I was considering doing the V-beam............is it worth it?........does my acne have to be totally gone first?

Your active acne doesn't really need to be totally gone, but pretty much minimized or under control. Like getting some acne spots here or there shouldn't be much of a problem. It's more important to just know what's a scar and what's acne. Also, so new scars don't form after the treatment. That's the only real reason they worry about active acne.

Hey there. I can totally empathise with you. Since the age of 17 I had severe chest and back acne (I am talking about huge weeping sores - having to wear a t-shirt in the summer under a shirt because these bad boys would stain through!) I tried all the oral treatments before finally taking Roaccutane in 2002. I just lived a very sad life up to that point. The tane cured my facial acne so I am greatful for that, but even now in 2008 I still active acne on my chest and back but nowhere near as bad as before thank god.

I am still self conscious about this - I have not been swimming since 1995, never show my body off in front of strangers and always get changed in private or plan ahead wearing an undervest if I know I am taking off my shirt etc. I workout all the time to so you know how frustrating it is when you have a half-decent body! I am lucky I have a partner who really could not care less about the acne but before her I often didnt go all the way with girls because I was so self conscious of getting my top off and repulsing them! Anyway I am back with a vengeance and am going to try a regimen off the site and see if I can take the improvement a step further.

I've heard that various pulsed light treatments are great for easing scarring without being invasie, and their are various gentle oils - bio oil has worked for someon here, others suggest not, but I guess we all know that experimentation is key when it comes to solving acne problems.

You are a very good-looking guy and I promise that I am not flattering you to be kind, I mean this: your chest is unique, intriguing and quite beautiful. Like your girlfriend says, it's 'cool'.

How are the scars looking these days HCD? Any improvement?

Gladiator, do you have scars or just acne? I would kill to go swimming. I want that confidence baddddd. I need a girl who doesn't care. I hope mine doesn't. I have a girlfriend who's just unreal. She's like really attractive and so nice, I'm crazy about her but I'm terrified to show her my scars. We are intimate and stuff, but everytime I make sure that it's completely dark in the room and I always take my shirt off at the very last minute and put it on after asap. Also, I know she has terrible vision, so I don't think she really sees my body clearly. Haha. I'm probably going to have to show her sometime soon. I just wanted to rant about dealing with the body scars and girls.

This all hits so close to home...I used to take so much pride in my body... :(

How much improvment have you guys seen on just letting it heal naturally? I have a lot of white pock marks, but I hear there is not much hope for that raised type of scarring? Is this true? If not, what can I do to help it?

P.S. I have a really understanding girlfriend too, sometimes it makes me feel worse that it doesn't really bother her because it makes me wanna look so much better and I feel like I am trapped and can't =(

I know how you and all the rest of us here feel HCD

It curious how I really identificate with most of you here. I`m also a very good looking guy but my chest acne (and some pimples in my face) makes me feel horrible and ugly. I strange my previous chest acne life so much, I `m really nostalgic lately, it`s worse than being sad.

I also pass hours at the mirror of the bathroom checking my scars and my acne.

In someway chest acne is one of the worsest type of acne. I know I rather have chest scars than facial scars but it`s like facial acne is more socially "accepted". People don`t get really surprised of seeing someone with facial acne but I think they get surprised if they see someone with chest acne. If you are in the beach or in a pool and you have acne in the face it`s not something that people will look to but chest acne is like shocking and disgusting. I don`t know if this is because chest acne is rare or if it is because people with chest acne hides it a lot so people with no chest acne doesn`t even now of the existance of this acne. In my case I didn`t knew that people could get acne on their chest until I started suffering it.

My chest acne has really destroyed my confidence and self esteem. Everyone says "it`s ok, it`s not so bad, you don`t have anything, I don`t see the problem, etc" and I think that I would like to all of them to have chest acne just for a week or for a month so they can understand how I feel.

At least you and some guys here have a girlfriend. I don`t have one and as my confidence and esteem is low I don`t even go out at night so it`s very hard. I haven`t had sex or any kind of relationship for 2 years aprox. I can`t wait anymore.

Fortunately it seems my acne is stopping and that if this continues in this way I will be clear soon(but not of my hypopigmentated scars which I don`t like but I had get used to them) but until I`m sure that the acne has been beaten I won`t cheer up. Like Rocky said "It`s not over till it`s over"

Those scars will improve HCD, you`ll see.

bye

I know how you feel!

I'm 19 and just started getting very bad cystic acne on my chest this past year and now I'm left with scars all over my chest. I don't know what to do.

I avoid going out now because I'm scared I'll never get a boyfriend, or I'll never be able to show him this...there are a lot of pricks out there. I was hurt before even before I had acne, so I can't imagine what it's going to be like now.

#1 What you focus on expands, so if you're thinking about your scars or whatever else you think is wrong with you, they'll just be a huge prob. Be grateful for something, anything and then you'll find more to be grateful for.

#2 There's a topical called MEDERMA from Germany. GOOGLE IT. There are also generic knockoffs. It reduces redness over the course of 3-6 months. Takes 3 months to start working, applied 2-3 times daily. Apply a very thin layer and let soak in.

#3 Keep focusing on finding solutions and work on accepting yourself, you're unique. And as several women have already said, "Chicks dig SCARS!!!"

Barry Allen. Yes these are probably good suggestions (besides the Mederma, which is shit). However, it's probably not appropriate to put these forward in such a matter of fact fashion. It's really helped me a lot to hear these people talk about their body scar stories and I consider them all so close to me in mental makeup that i's unreal. We've had the same trauma. It's almost nice to hear people share their emotions like this even if it's bad.

I know how you feel. I've been having the exact same thing as you but for about 4-5 years. I've had it since I was 13 (started with little pimples and they went away when i was 14 and came back and never left me) I'm 18 now and I have scarring on my chest somewhat like yours. I've taken antibiotics (doxycycline) for 2 years and I have had like 4 steroid shots to flatten my scars (they eventually just rose back up so I gave up on that) But then they have not grown anymore since. My girlfriend also says she "loves" them and I can't really see how she can. First time she saw me topless she said I looked good topless because I do have a toned body due to thai boxing and weight lifting... but then again I didn't really know how to believe her.

I can also tell u that your situation isn't the worst! I have it all condensing into the middle of my chest and it is not nice to look at. I can tell you my situation is worse than yours. But then I am trying to live with it now and I'm trying not to be depressed about it.

Well that is my story, just wanted to share with you. I don't know any other treatment for the chest acne besides the ones people have already mentioned so I'm sorry I couldn't help much there.

Wish you the best of luck in dealing with your acne! (You are a good looking person, not being weird but then yes, I don't think girls would mind your chest!)

I had terrible acne on my body when I was a teenager. It was so bad that I also avoiding going out with guys. I used to have to have my mom slather my back with meds everynight. It's sucked. But guess what? I gre out of it. Then of course I ended up with facial acne, not sure if it was a good trade off.

Scars fade with time. Mederma is crap. Mandelic and glycolic acid is the way to go to get rid of scars. But better than that is hydroqunoine. Paula's Choice has her Remarkable Lighting Cream. Good stuff. Go rid of bacne scars I have had since I was a teenager.