Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMVfan1234

Red marks turning black after exfoliating

I have been on the regimen for a few months and it is doing a good job controlling my acne, but I still have red marks. Just yesterday I exfoliated for the first time in a long time with a neutrogena acne scrub because there was so much dead/flaky skin on my face it was getting out of hand.

Anyways, today some of my red marks have turned purple/black. The thing is, I don't know if they are like regular red marks, they are actually blood that is under the skin. I lanced one and a bunch of dark blood mixed with a little pus came out(sorry if that grosses anyone out, its not as bad as it sounds). I have had a few of these before, but today a bunch more appeared and the only thing I can think that caused it is the exfoliating scrub.

Has anyone ever had their red marks turn into these blood-filled purple/black marks? Is it possible that they are just red marks coming closer to the surface of the skin after exfoliating? I have read that red marks will often get darker/worse before they go away, is this what is happening? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes! I have that problem too! I noticed I got it when I started on Paula's Choice 2% BHA. Is this uncommon? I can't seem to find similar reports online. Has anyone else experienced this and what happens after it turns black? Should I stop exfoliating?