Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone ever had a plastic surgeon suggest dermaplaning as a treatment for their depressed scarring?

In my quest to treat my scarring I have seen quite a few plastic surgeons and dermatologists with such varying suggestions as laser treatment, dermabrasion, excision, and collagen injections. I went to this particular surgeon because I had found out he did subcision. The scar I am most concerned about is a 3mm circular hole on my nose. I have other scarring, but this is the one which bugs me.

Anyway, this doctor said excision would leave a worse scar; most doctors don't like to do dermabrasion due to blood splatter; a laser would go too deep; collagen injections don't work on the nose; and subcision wouldn't work there either. He said that in order to perform the procedure he would take a scalpel and basically shave the area around the scar down to the lowest level of the scar. He said he thought it would provide between 50 - 100% improvement. I have heard that Heather Mills (Paul McCartney's wife) is having this done for wrinkles by some doctor in Manhattan.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? The prospect kind of freaks me out.

Hi anna

Never heard of Demaplaning, so did a quick yahoo search and was surprised to see it bring up quite a few sites. I had a brief look and it sounds painful!!

Shaving off your skin to meet the level of the scar? Wouldn't this then just leave more areas scared?

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search/ukie?p=d...ermaplaning&y=y

Good luck whatever you decide to do, you can always check out the other threads to compare procedures.

Thanks Maya,

At this point I am just paralyzed by indecision. What I want is magic! No, truthfully, after my ventures into self needling, etc., I truly believe the best treatment would be a subcision followed by a local dermabrasion. If the damn doctors would just do what I tell them to do.....

where is the hole on your nose located?I have an old scar from chicken pox right on the end of my nose! :D it is a noticable dent there and i hate it but i wouldn't want to do anything to make it worse.

Hi Honey Bee,

It is on my right nostril. I know how you feel. I don't want to make it worse either.

Thanks, Anna

What about microdermabrasion? Just have the person who does it do it around the scar, not on the scar itself. It would be similar to dermaplaning, but much less severe, and therefore much less risky. I don't know that you'll see MAJOR improvement w/microderm. but some would be better than none at all.