Notifications
Clear all

Can glycerin cause acne?

MemberMember
(@chloe0828)

Posted : 03/01/2008 10:59 pm

Hey guys i just had a quick question. I did a search but didnt find a lot of info on it on the site. Is it ok to use pure glycerin nighttime on the face as moisturizer? will it cause/irritate acne? i

MemberMember
(@gilliano)

Posted : 03/01/2008 11:11 pm

hmm.. maybe it depends.. because some glycerin cream does cause acne like "glysolid", but some glycerin is good for the skin like what usual dermatologist recommend like glycerin soap which is used to prevent feature breakouts.

MemberMember
(@fraxelwaxel)

Posted : 03/02/2008 12:31 am

its in almost every lotion or cream. i wouldnt think so.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 03/02/2008 1:22 am

In this Database of comedogenic and irritating ingredients, glycerin is listed as NOT comedogenic and NOT irritating.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 03/02/2008 10:57 am

Don't use pure glycerin though. Glycerin is a humectant, meaning it draws water from it's surroundings in order to moisturize. If you use it straight, it will draw the moisture from your skin and dehydrate it.

Mix it with water or aloe. I mix mine about 1 part glycerin to 6 parts aloe - my skin is very dry. HTH :)

MemberMember
(@ryudoadema)

Posted : 03/02/2008 2:00 pm

Careful, pure glycerin can destroy your skin! Go to makeupalley.com and read reviews of glycerin. A couple people used it straight with great success causing everyone to go out and try it. Many of them came back with pretty bad stories including cystic acne. Any moisturizer with glycerin as one of the first ingredients breaks me out and turns my skin red and hot!

MemberMember
(@ryudoadema)

Posted : 03/03/2008 3:16 pm

Careful, pure glycerin can destroy your skin! Go to makeupalley.com and read reviews of glycerin. A couple people used it straight with great success causing everyone to go out and try it. Many of them came back with pretty bad stories including cystic acne. Any moisturizer with glycerin as one of the first ingredients breaks me out and turns my skin red and hot!

thnks for the info! i wont be trying it :)

MemberMember
(@riya_gg)

Posted : 06/17/2019 2:36 pm

I have a sensetive & pro acne skin, and it took me a while to figure it out but most of the face creams/serums that had glycerin as the second or third ingredient and we're not diluted ( short ingredients list) with something else, made me break out.

I also have super fine hair and hair products with glycerin also made it dry.

Now I use a Estee Lauder primer with out silicones and glycerin & it works wonders.

However, when I have a concentrated cream (basically the skin can't absorb all of it so half of the product is left on the surface and clogs the pores no matter how small amount do u use), I put the cream in a spay bottle with mineral water or thermal water and shake well and use that as a moisturizing mist.