Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mc12345

Flaky Nose with Blackheads

My nose always seems to be flaking, which I think is causing blackheads. I have been using Purpose Face Wash, along with aloe vera and Cetaphil as moisturizers. They have helped a little bit, but my nose is still flaky, and is covered in what I assume to be blackheads. Does anyone know of any products I can use?

I have seen a lot of people talking about Green Cream. Is it worth the money?

Info about my skin:

I don't really have acne, just a few pimples every once in a while (mainly stress related). My skin is pretty sensitive and is an oily/dry mix. When I am done washing my face my skin is very dry, but later in the day it becomes oily in the T-zone.

Salicylic acid is great for blackheads. Green Cream has retinol which is good for blackheads as well. Your skin shouldn't be so dry and flaky after washing. Some people do find purpose too stripping believe it or not. If your nose is that dry, the salicylic acid will make it worse. Retinol will exfoliate the dead skin so that may be the better route. Both in conjunction would be best but you need to find a cleanser that doesn't strip your skin first. Have you tried cetaphil cleansers?

Yeah I tried the Cetaphil cleanser a while back and it made my skin really oily. I guess I could give it a shot again. It seems like my skin is stuck in a never ending cycle of flaking for some reason. I found a old bottle of Neutrogena Oil Free Acne wash yesterday, and that helped to clear some of the flakes, but it leaves my skin irritated and red. The purpose works great for every other part of my face, its just my damn nose...

Any other suggestions?

And what would be a cheaper alternative to that Green Cream stuff? I am really not willing to spend $40 for something I don't know if my skin can handle.

The neutrogena oil free acne wash is pretty drying too. I've been using oil cleansers lately and love them. Don't know your gender but they are great for removing makeup and sunscreen.

I have only used expensive retinol products so I'm not aware of a cheaper alternative. I find www.makeupalley.com very helpful for this type of information if you can't find it here. Go to the skincare board and ask the question. You'll get a response within minutes usually. As for non-drying cleansers some on that board love Cerave cleanser. You can get it at Walgreens for super cheap. I tried their moisturizing lotion but it clogged my pores since it has silicones in it. I think Neutrogena makes a cream cleanser that people on that board love too.

Yeah I tried the Cetaphil cleanser a while back and it made my skin really oily. I guess I could give it a shot again. It seems like my skin is stuck in a never ending cycle of flaking for some reason. I found a old bottle of Neutrogena Oil Free Acne wash yesterday, and that helped to clear some of the flakes, but it leaves my skin irritated and red. The purpose works great for every other part of my face, its just my damn nose...

Any other suggestions?

And what would be a cheaper alternative to that Green Cream stuff? I am really not willing to spend $40 for something I don't know if my skin can handle.

Your skin sounds like mine. :(

The best salicylic product I've used is the Neturogena Oil-Free Anti-Acne Lotion. I think they're calling it "Rapid Clear" now, but it is a lotion, not their treatment gel. It has either .5 of 1 percent salicylic acid in it. I've found that my skin responds better to the lower salicylic acid consistancies. 2 percent never did anything for me except irritated and dried out my skin. I haven't been able to get around to picking the lotion up again (I tried a couple of times and it was sold out) but it really is a good product and definitely worth a try.

As for retinol, I'm using Retin-A Micro right now before bed. When I wake up in the morning, my skin feels a lot softer and less flakey. It even kind of glows a little, but I think that may have more to do with my pale skin. >_< It's not exactly cheap, but my health insurance covers the cost, so I pay about $10. I think the price is $90 without the coverage...

I'm using Clinique's Combination Skin liquid facial wash right now, but my skin is still dry after cleansing and yet, becomes oily later in the day. And I'm constantly flaking as well.

So I'm not sure what to tell you, but FYI, I haven't been using the Retin-A very long and so far have seen good results, so maybe that will help the blackheads and the flaking. I'll let you know.

The idea of one of those hydrating cleansers sounds like a good bet, too. I might try one out...