Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clchieng

Anyone Else Going Off Topicals/Meds After Years of Use?

Hi Everyone,

I'm 32, and I'd been on benzoyl peroxide for the past 10 years and Differin for the past 3 years. I decided to simply stop all the meds about 5 months ago. My acne during high school was pretty mild (I didn't even remember having acne in high school until I looked at some old pictures), and I think that the years of meds might have made my condition worse.

The first couple of months after stopping, things were going pretty steady, but the last month or so, I've had some pretty bad flare-ups to where now it's pretty moderate.

I know it's going to take a while for my skin to recover, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding this, like what type of cleanser would be best? I know a lot of people like Cetaphil, but the sodium lauryl sulfate in it worries me.

I've been washing with only water, and for the past couple of weeks I've tried ACV (diluted 1:3 with water). But the ACV is breaking me out.

Any regimen advice, info, or comments would be appreciated, especially if you've done or are doing this yourself. Thanks!

John

Thanks, Bruce! I was looking at your regimen. So you use the Cetaphil for your hair as well? I've been trying baking soda/ACV as an alternative to shampoo, but it doesn't seem to be working too well. I'll give the Cetaphil a shot.

Also, are you using the Gentle Cetaphil Cleanser or the Cetaphil Facial cleanser? I noticed tha the facial version actually has way more ingredients (including fragrances, oils, etc.). Thanks again.

John

I'm using the regular Gentle Cleanser. I have a tendency to use whatever cleanser I'm using as a shampoo as well, don't know if this makes sense or not? I've recently tried an organic hair shampoo to no avail, it dried out my hair and made it feel very thin...and caused a flare-up! The Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser has done an admirable, if not perfect job, as a hair shampoo. I cannot recommend the Cetaphil Daily Cleanser, tried it years back and it sucks! It's got fragrance in it, as well as foaming agents in it, you would just be asking for problems.

I'm personally not a fan of Cetaphil and feel that using some non-volatile carrier oils just cleans my skin better. I use a modified oil cleansing method with tepid water, a clean cellulose sponge, and steaming.

When I was using regular cleansers, though, I never noticed any more irritation with something like Purpose (which removed makeup well) than with something like Cetaphil (which left a gross film even with a washcloth). Maybe I just never got the hang of Cetaphil, but it seemed to leave my pores clogged, which at least a gentle foaming cleanser never did.

Cetaphil as shampoo? I think I probably use too many hair products for that, but it's intriguing.

I went off all prescriptions about 6 months ago. The road has not been easy but I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I was tired of being semi-dependent on prescriptions and since I couldn't afford COBRA payments anymore, I just went cold turkey. I was ok for about 2 months and then I started having bad breakouts again. It's been especially bad since Christmas. I finally broke down and went back to Glycolics which cleared me up back in the mid-90's. They are working for me, so I'm happy about that. No new flareups this week. Stuff is drying up. Still uneven skintone, but I'm getting there.

I feel your pain with stopping meds. I had to stop everything after a chemical burn and could only use water and jojoba oil. MY skin didn't get worse, but it didn't get better either. So that's a plus.

I went off all prescriptions about 6 months ago. The road has not been easy but I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I was tired of being semi-dependent on prescriptions and since I couldn't afford COBRA payments anymore, I just went cold turkey. I was ok for about 2 months and then I started having bad breakouts again. It's been especially bad since Christmas. I finally broke down and went back to Glycolics which cleared me up back in the mid-90's. They are working for me, so I'm happy about that. No new flareups this week. Stuff is drying up. Still uneven skintone, but I'm getting there.

I feel your pain with stopping meds. I had to stop everything after a chemical burn and could only use water and jojoba oil. MY skin didn't get worse, but it didn't get better either. So that's a plus.

I stopped about four years ago, and now it is all back....with a vengence. Just started back on the retin-A a few weeks ago.

Hi clchieng! I definitely caused some damage using retinols, microderm cloths, SA etc and found out that even the gentlest cleanser with any surfactant was perpetuating the problem, giving me red, dry, irritated skin. If you want to try out a very gentle, natural cleanser, try using powdered milk. I use non-fat generic instant milk- it cleans better than water but is extremely gentle and leaves skin soft and smooth.

> the way i use it is to wet my face, put about a tablespoon or two into one cupped hand, pour drops of water into it with my other hand until its a nice creamy texture, and wash-btw- drinking milk breaks me out but this does not

Let me know if you try it and how it works!