Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CitizenPanda

Take lots and lots of Vitamin - C

I have to say to anyone currently on a Scar treatment regime that you should take a large amount of Vitamin-C per day. Buy a chewable bag for the day and munch on them during work when you remember to, and take one Time-release in the morning and 1 time release before bed. Remember the Half life of Vitamin-C is pretty quick (3 hours ish), so if your taking 1g at 6:00am, by 12:00pm you have 250 mg in your system, and by 6:00pm you only have 62.5mg in your system. Munching on smoe Vitamin-C every few hours to ensure you keep above an average of 250mg in your system is a good idea I think.

I am seeing my scars getting better and better every day, and all I really use these days is a Vitamin-C cream and serum, a OTC Copper peptide product, and I intake 2-4g of Vitamin - C/day. I had needling done about 1.5 months ago and am going to update my pics 2 months post. It might not make a difference but I eat whole grains, fast sugars before workouts (I lift weights and do cardio regularly, wouldn't call it Bodybuilding but not like the people who go 1/week and bench 95lbs either), and TONS of protein. (Atleast 150g/day, I weigh 180lbs, 5'9)

Do you think long-term megadosing of vitamin-c can increase the risk of kidney stones?

I've been megadosing on vit-c, but I am trying to reduce the risk of kidney stones by drinking gobs and gobs of water. All my co-workers tell me I drink like a camel :think:

Also, when you first started using the CP products, did you have an initial bad reaction?

I used a CP a couple days in a row and my skin has become more rough and craggy and it seems as if new scarred pores/ice picks have appeared. I don't know if I need a good exfoliation or what but I have become terrified of CP products now.

which copper peptide product are you using ? and which C serum/cream are you using?

I stopped Tazorac before my Needling, and won't be back on it until a few more weeks at least. I basically need my skin to heal longer before I'm on something as strong and irritative as Tazorac.

But anyway, I use GNC Vitamin C cream, Vita-K VItamin K Serum (which also contains Vitamin C and E). I'm not worried about Vitamin-C causing any harm really, there are sources out there recommend a 3g daily intake or much more, so for the period of time doing scar revisions, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I use Neutrogena Night firming cream, I dont know how much CP is in there but it doesn't cause any problems for me.

Well I know vitamin C is good for skin and scars but the effects seem to be temporary. Because when I take C my scars seem levelled but when I quit it scars are back to pits. So wat I wanna know is do I've to take vitamin c the entire life or just for some long time to produce some collagen beneath my skin. Thanks

Do you think long-term megadosing of vitamin-c can increase the risk of kidney stones?

I've been megadosing on vit-c, but I am trying to reduce the risk of kidney stones by drinking gobs and gobs of water. All my co-workers tell me I drink like a camel :think:

Also, when you first started using the CP products, did you have an initial bad reaction?

I used a CP a couple days in a row and my skin has become more rough and craggy and it seems as if new scarred pores/ice picks have appeared. I don't know if I need a good exfoliation or what but I have become terrified of CP products now.

which copper peptide product are you using ? and which C serum/cream are you using?

If I remember correctly he is using GNC vitamin-c cream and Neutrogena Visibly Firm Night Cream[with CP]

vitamin c does not cause kidney stones under any circumstances.. you should dilute your CP in water for the frist weeks of use to let your skin build up. I have been using it for a few weeks now and have had no negative issues to speak of to this point...

also its great you take vitamin c, and its great you drink alot of water. both are very important to your health.. but make sure you dont take your vitamin c during the times of day you are consuming alot of water or you will flush the vitamins right out of your body..

Vitamin C really helps a lot in treating red marks..I have a friend who takes 4 tablets of vitamin c per day and in one month, his skin is glowing and the red marks were greatly faded..

Vitamin C really helps a lot in treating red marks..I have a friend who takes 4 tablets of vitamin c per day and in one month, his skin is glowing and the red marks were greatly faded..

My dermatologist told me last week that large doses of vitamin C taken internally don't always get to the upper layers of skin.

He recommended a topical vitamin C serum. I googled this and found that you can make your own..

Vitamin C is readily absorbed into the skin when applied topically. However, it can oxidize quickly and become useless.

There are several "recipes" online for making this serum yourself and I think you'll save a fortune rather than buying the expensive creams in the jar.

Taking vitamin C internally is still not a bad idea as it is good for your health.

I'm applying a vitamin C serum to my face twice a day hoping that additional collagen remodeling will occur.

I also just wanted to add that girls on birth control should be careful when taking ALOT of Vitamin C internally... I've heard that it can lower the accuracy rate of BCPs

Also pregnant women shouldn't overdo it either because it's a emmenagogue meaning can cause a miscarrage if in early stages of pregnancy.

Those two seem alittle contradicting but that is what I've found on the internet.

These arn't really applicable to men though, but I thought it's good info

I believe taking vitamin C supplements will benefit the skin, but excessive amounts would be rendered useless I think...

The body expels anything that it doesn't need: it can only absorb so much of a certain substance.

BUT of course I could be wrong, just thought I'd mention that though :)

hey for kidney stone i think it's better ask to a doctor..in my opion every extra dose of everything it's not good for our kidney.

Is there really any evidence that oral Vitamin C makes any difference? I'm pretty sure it's only a topical serum that will really make any difference. See this: http://www.treatment-skincare.com/Clinical/Vitamin-C.html

I would also be wary of making your own Vit C serum as it is most likely not stable. http://www.treatment-skincare.com/Ascorbic...d-C-Serums.html

Is there really any evidence that oral Vitamin C makes any difference? I'm pretty sure it's only a topical serum that will really make any difference. See this: http://www.treatment-skincare.com/Clinical/Vitamin-C.html

I would also be wary of making your own Vit C serum as it is most likely not stable. http://www.treatment-skincare.com/Ascorbic...d-C-Serums.html

I guess there is no literature evidence, but there are several human evidences

The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C for healthy adults is 30 mg per day. Consuming a varied and balanced diet based on the Healthy Diet Pyramid will provide the recommended levels of nutrients, including vitamin C, needed to boost the immune system. Individuals should avoid consuming more than 1000 mg (1g) of vitamin C a day (conventional effervescent tablets on the market contain 1000mg of vitamin C per tablet). This includes the combined levels of vitamin C from supplements and foods. As oxalate is an end product of vitamin C metabolism, excessive vitamin C intake can lead to increased risk of kidney stone formation.

Guest Timehealsall

is vitamin c serum ok for the health? Can it cause spontaneous scarring?

ALso, What foods have vitamin c in it?

Guest Timehealsall

Does taking vitamin c orally, using vitamin c serum, using hylaronic acid serum, taking hylaroinci pils, taking zinc, taking probiotics, and taking other supplements really help in preventing scarring and healing it?

That's a very good question. Maybe you could do a bit of research and let us know (hint: google is easy, books are helpful, too).

The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C for healthy adults is 30 mg per day. Consuming a varied and balanced diet based on the Healthy Diet Pyramid will provide the recommended levels of nutrients, including vitamin C, needed to boost the immune system. Individuals should avoid consuming more than 1000 mg (1g) of vitamin C a day (conventional effervescent tablets on the market contain 1000mg of vitamin C per tablet). This includes the combined levels of vitamin C from supplements and foods. As oxalate is an end product of vitamin C metabolism, excessive vitamin C intake can lead to increased risk of kidney stone formation.

The RDA is a laugh. Vitamin C -even when taken in large amounts- will not lead to an increased risk of kidney stone formation in healthy people. Some sources to check out:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w99/kidneystones.html

http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v01n07.shtml

And one on the health benefits of vitamin C (clinical studies): http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

[Edit] I just realized I replied to a post from August 2010 :redface:

Guest Timehealsall

That's a very good question. Maybe you could do a bit of research and let us know (hint: google is easy, books are helpful, too).

would be very hard to find research on if vitamin c would give spontaneous scarring hehe

I bought Vitamin C tablets for the first time yesterday. The tablets are 500 mg. The lady at the chemist suggested to take 2 tablets (1000 mg) per day. I have taken 4 tablets so far today. Is it bad to start taking twice the amount for the first time?

Thanks

I bought Vitamin C tablets for the first time yesterday. The tablets are 500 mg. The lady at the chemist suggested to take 2 tablets (1000 mg) per day. I have taken 4 tablets so far today. Is it bad to start taking twice the amount for the first time?

Thanks

It is nearly impossible to overdose on Vitamin C [and I only say nearly because you can overdose on anything if you took enough without throwing up, even water], if that's what you're worried about. However, way too much Vitamin C at a time could possibly cause diarrhea. And having diarrhea for too long can cause you to become dehydrated and lose other minerals in your body. But the only thing I'd be worried about is actually wasting the tablets. Your body flushes out most of the Vitamin C after awhile, it can only absorb so much. Your best bet would be to get a high-soluble [Ester C] and time-released Vitamin C, to get the most bang of your buck/time.

Thanks for the reply FS, I'm always anxious when trying to deal with my scars because I do not want them to get any worse. Might I say you're absolutely gorgeous, it's hard to believe you've faced skin problems!

Guest Timehealsall
Thanks for the reply FS, I'm always anxious when trying to deal with my scars because I do not want them to get any worse. Might I say you're absolutely gorgeous, it's hard to believe you've faced skin problems!

under dog, what type of scars do you have?