Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InRepair

Is make up really bad for your skin?

I wouldn't wear makeup for more than 14 hours. I try to take it off (my Everyday Minerals foundation) after 8-12. Any longer and I can get pimples.

Don't buy into the hype about sleeping in your make-up. That's really horrible for your skin, and wearing mascara for too long can break your eyelashes :eh: .

My mom would always tell me that foundation and stuff is bad for your face and I agree but it depends on what kind nowadays. Safe make-up, like Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals and Bare Ecentuals are ok but like Jolian said, don't wear it all day. If you dont have to wear foundation everyday then don't. Let your face breathe. And again don't sleep in it. Breakout central!

Overall, I was told make-up will make you age faster and it thin it may be true. If you look at older women that wore makeuop in their youth, they probaly have more wrinkles than they would have had if they didn't wear so much makeup. I would google that to be sure but a little eye-shadow and lip gloss will go a long way.

Personally I've never had make-up that didn't make my skin feel really

clogged and dirty after like 10 minutes.

I agree with what Jolian said. And actually I've had that stiff, broken

eyelashes thing, it's gross :lol:

I never keep my make up on for more then 8-9 hours.

I ask cause I never go a day without it, I'm way to afraid, and it being winter time as soon as I step outside my face turns red and it makes my red marks worst, so with make up it doesn't show up.

I was just wondering in general if wearing any kind of make up for a long time can be bad for your skin. I hate wearing make up, I haatteee it. If I didn't have horrible redness or marks I wouldn't do it. I only started wearing it this past year.

I always wear makeup because I love it! I give my skin days off because honestly makeup (I mean face makeup now here) makes me feel really grimy. After I come home from work I'll take it off if i'm not going out, but I always take it off before bed. Maybe when I have been clubbing and i'm pretty drink I have been known to sleep with it on (noooo!) :D. Funny story though- I once knew a girl who loved to wear so much makeup she would sleep in everything- her whole face. The morning after she would wake up and just PUT MORE ON TOP! I always wondered why her lashes were what I can only describe as caked in mascara, and her foundation was about an inch thick...!

Personally I've never had make-up that didn't make my skin feel really

clogged and dirty after like 10 minutes.

I agree with what Jolian said. And actually I've had that stiff, broken

eyelashes thing, it's gross :lol:

My mom would always tell me that foundation and stuff is bad for your face and I agree but it depends on what kind nowadays. Safe make-up, like Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals and Bare Ecentuals are ok but like Jolian said, don't wear it all day. If you dont have to wear foundation everyday then don't. Let your face breathe. And again don't sleep in it. Breakout central!

Overall, I was told make-up will make you age faster and it thin it may be true. If you look at older women that wore makeuop in their youth, they probaly have more wrinkles than they would have had if they didn't wear so much makeup. I would google that to be sure but a little eye-shadow and lip gloss will go a long way.

My makeup does not cause me to break out. I use Arbonne, and it's one of those products made of natural and plant-based materials. It allows my skin to breathe, and if anything it helps my skin look better b/c it has products like retinols in it.

I wear Bare Minerals. I noticed that when I don't wear it much on the weekend, I get gross and sometimes a blemish. My skin is better with this makeup (but I wear it very light). Using liquid foundation was disgusting to me but using a translucent powder makes my skin look perfect and I never break out!

But each time before I apply makeup, I use a toner with a cotton pad to slough off my dead and dry skin (even after I wash my face, the pads turn brown with flakes of skin.) I apply my moisturizer and let it settle a bit. THEN I apply the translucent powder and it helps my skin and looks great too.

i wear makeup out of courtesy for other pple. i think it's etiquette to look polished. was it calvin klein that said "it takes makeup to look natural." ?? haha, this is like my exact philosophy.

anyway, i use edm foundation. i've also noticed that my skin gets better with this makeup. during times when i don't wear mu and stay at home, my skin actually gets more clogged.

I never keep my make up on for more then 8-9 hours.

I ask cause I never go a day without it, I'm way to afraid, and it being winter time as soon as I step outside my face turns red and it makes my red marks worst, so with make up it doesn't show up.

I was just wondering in general if wearing any kind of make up for a long time can be bad for your skin. I hate wearing make up, I haatteee it. If I didn't have horrible redness or marks I wouldn't do it. I only started wearing it this past year.

ugh I felt like crying today like I suck at make up nothing I am doing is even make these marks hid well. Granted the redness is not there but damn it, I just want to not looking like I am wearing make up and have no marks. I look outside in my car mirror and my make up looks alright, you can still see my marks but inside my face looks like shit. I can't win. I've tried different ways I just plain suck at make up :evil::doubt:

I'll just have to keep trying till I find something right, but I'm so fed up with this shit, I never once wore make up for 21 years now I have to (I'm 22 now). sigh.

Some makeup can actually be great for your skin! For example, there are some foundations that have effective sunscreens, antioxidants, and other great ingredients that are good for skin in the long run. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer comes to mind, although the color selection is terrible! Also, if makeup makes you feel better about going out in public with acne or other "flaws," then the psychological effect alone is worth it. As long as you avoid makeup that's going to clog your pores or irritate your skin, then don't worry about it.

Also, there's nothing in makeup that's going to "age" your skin unless your makeup contains significantly irritating ingredients like menthol or alcohol. One of the theories why women have traditionally gotten fewer skin cancers on their lips than men is that, for a very long time, most women wore opaque lipstick which offered some sun protection! Sleeping in your makeup isn't good for your skin, but it's unlikely to contribute to wrinkles. Of course, it's better to use the nighttime to prevent wrinkles by applying products with antioxidants, retinol, etc. Wrinkling is caused by sun and pollution damage -- wear sunscreen and stop stressing about your foundation.