Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MelanieTee

Needling Hypertrophic Scars

I have raised scarring on my face and someone told me to try needling. Wont that make the scars thicker and bigger? I thought needling was for depressed scars. Wont the needling promote more collagen?

The only way you can worsen the scars is if you go deeper than 3MM because that is the fatty tissue layer, you would get collagen in the form of scar tissue. If you don't go any deeper than 3mm there is no need to worry. The needling would break up the scar tissue.

I have raised scarring on my face and someone told me to try needling. Wont that make the scars thicker and bigger? I thought needling was for depressed scars. Wont the needling promote more collagen?

This information is wrong, i have had scratches far less deep than 3mm which have scarred. dermabrasion also scarred me pretty bad and that was much less than 3mm deep also.

Frank at transitions recommends needling for hypertrophic scarring, as do a lot of dermarolling and skin needling websites, however never needle a keloid scar.

Oh God Im so confused now. Ok, so to clarify I wasnt talking about dermaroller I was talking about going in for actual needling from a trained professional. Well since Im getting mixed reviews and confused myself I probably wont go through with the procedure.