Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LAET

Non Ablatives may be a waste of time...

I had a consultation about Prolite. I was very direct and frank with the aesthetician. I asked her to be completely honest with what kind of outcome I could come to expect if I had the prolite done. I also handed her a summary of all the skin procedures I have undergone.

She told me that pro-lite is awesome for treating pigmentation markings on the face... but that was pretty much where it ended. She also said that the effects of non ablative lasers are not permanent. She told me straight out that she has never seen an improvement with scarring. I asked if they reduce pore size, and she thought in some cases they do, but for myself I should not be concerned with that.

She herself had a shallow, barely noticeable chicken pox scar, which I thought looked fine. She's been trying to get rid of it and has tried TCA and non ablative laser, but the scar is still there. That spoke volumes for me.

I really appreciated her honesty, it saved me time and disappointment.

I asked her about Smoothbeam laser as many people speak highly of it here. She has worked with it, and in her opinion it didn't do much good.

Prolite is a very different thing from Smoothbeam. Smoothbeam is not an IPL... It sounds like this aesthetician deals mainly with Prolite-- I'm not convinced that she's a library of knowledge when it comes to the Smoothbeam. Did she tell you how many treatments she'd put her chicken pox scar through? Had she needled it?

The more I consider the smoothbeam laser, the more I feel affirmed. Any treatment that can go up to 20 joules, inflicts a thermal injury (a burn), and has risks of permanent scarring, should be able to produce something substantial in the way of improvement.

^^^I didn't ask her all the details about how she tried treating her scar.

I didn't mean to bash smoothbeam. I was just passing along info I received. I don't think SB can do any harm under capable hands.

Hi LAET,

when she said pigmentation, did she mean red/brown/purple marks from acne or general pigmentation changes tha tyou see on some persons?? If its for red marks from acne, did she telll you how many treatments would be needed

Dim,

I saw some before and after photos of people who had very noticeable brown type marks and it worked beautifully. I think it's supposed to work for any kind of red and brown mark; acne mark included. I didn't ask how many passes it would take, as the red marks aren't a prob for me. She did say that to see results would usually take 5 or 6 sessions, so I could assume that would be for red marks as well.