Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As much as I love my mother, I've found myself feeling resentful towards her lately. Without a doubt, I inherited my condition from her. When she was not much older than me, her acne was so severe she had a dermabrasion....still didn't clear up her acne. She is 50 years old now and still has acne and significant scarring...not to mention she is single without a date in sight. Sometimes I find myself feeling angry at her. I know it's not her fault, but this entire experience has been very emotionally painful for me and she's always telling me to just get over it. I had so many dreams for my life that have been obliterated by this condition. I feel sick when I think of having acne for the rest of my life. Sometimes I find myself wishing she had spared me by not even having me. When I look at her, I see my future and I can't help but feel overwhelmingly depressed and hopeless. Is it completely wrong of me to feel this way?

As much as I love my mother, I've found myself feeling resentful towards her lately. Without a doubt, I inherited my condition from her. When she was not much older than me, her acne was so severe she had a dermabrasion....still didn't clear up her acne. She is 50 years old now and still has acne and significant scarring...not to mention she is single without a date in sight. Sometimes I find myself feeling angry at her. I know it's not her fault, but this entire experience has been very emotionally painful for me and she's always telling me to just get over it. I had so many dreams for my life that have been obliterated by this condition. I feel sick when I think of having acne for the rest of my life. Sometimes I find myself wishing she had spared me by not even having me. When I look at her, I see my future and I can't help but feel overwhelmingly depressed and hopeless. Is it completely wrong of me to feel this way?

Hey my mom had acne too when she was my age, big boil-like acne just like what I had before accutane. But I never resented her, she was just as miserable as I was when she had it.

Yup resentment is natural. I think i got my acne from my mum but i also got her figure and tendancy to gain weight really easily, that coupled with the fact that she 'favoured' my brother at a time when i needed her help makes me resent her.

yeah... that is pretty sad. What did she ever do to you except give you life? If you really dont want it, then go kill yourself. I dont know what else to tell you. Its ok to feel bad about acne, we ALL understand that. But how is it HER fault?! She inheirited it just like you did. She has gone through the same things you have.

Now, its ok to feel resentful to her if she makes fun of you for it or something... but you cant blame her for your problem.

I would go seek some professional help, IMHO, because this does not seem normal. My dad had ance as a kid, should i get mad at him for something he cant control?

My mom had really bad acne problems during her youth too, but man, for a long while, I resented the genes, but I realized how exactly the very same she must have felt against my grandmother (her mother).

I mean, as much as it might seem difficult to stop resenting your mom for giving you those genes, it's really just resenting her for something that she had absolutely no control over. I mean, I just stopped resenting my mother's genes the one day when I suddenly felt, "Oh wow, what if I have kids and they resent me for giving them acne genes too. How miserable would I feel, when it's not even my fault, I went through the same crap that they are going through, and yet, they still take it out on me, when I for sure wouldn't WANT them to suffer from it!"

Make peace with your mother ^^ it's actually a lot better to talk about how hard acne-life can be with your own mother who's gone through the very same thing (a lot of "back then" stories).

Neither of my parents had acne...matter of fact, I'm the only one that has suffered with it out of all of my family members. I pray that my children do not inherit if from me, but if they do, I will have to help them through it. Do not resent your mother, its not her fault. What if you pass it down to your children...should they hate you for that? Just be thankful that you found acne.org and share the information that you find here with her. Its gotta suck to be 50 and still have problematic skin. Hopefully you will find treatment that works for both of you!

the only thing i'm unhappy with my mom about is that for a good year or so she told me scrubbing my face with a wash cloth would make my acne better.

it's not like any of us or our parents consciously decided to have acne, it just happened. sometimes people who have cleared up from acne put it so distant in their memory that they forget what the issue is.

it's an issue of self image. because what is the self without an image?

As much as I love my mother, I've found myself feeling resentful towards her lately. Without a doubt, I inherited my condition from her.