Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aimee_lou_uk

Deformation of babies on accutane/isotretanoin

Aimee Lou,

I researched all of this a while back and confirmed it with my derm pre-Accutane. Have you ever heard of Thalidomide? Accutane causes the same family of birth defects. It can also cause miscarriage or premature birth.

If you've heard of Thalidomide, skip the rest of this. If not....read on. Back in the 1950's or 60's (or thereabouts), doctors didn't know better and prescribed Thalidomide to pregnant women for relief from morning sickness. Many of the babies were then born with serious birth defects, often making them look freakish. Born without limbs, or with limbs that looked like "flippers," and other deformities. It was quite tragic, because the very thing that was prescribed to make pregnant women more comfortable destroyed their babies.

Aimee Lou,

I researched all of this a while back and confirmed it with my derm pre-Accutane. Have you ever heard of Thalidomide? Accutane causes the same family of birth defects. It can also cause miscarriage or premature birth.

If you've heard of Thalidomide, skip the rest of this. If not....read on. Back in the 1950's or 60's (or thereabouts), doctors didn't know better and prescribed Thalidomide to pregnant women for relief from morning sickness. Many of the babies were then born with serious birth defects, often making them look freakish. Born without limbs, or with limbs that looked like "flippers," and other deformities. It was quite tragic, because the very thing that was prescribed to make pregnant women more comfortable destroyed their babies.

Lovely, not that i would get pregnant, being gay... BUT my derm's nurse wasn't willing to talk about it (i ask too many Q's sometimes) and said there would be no choice but to have an abortion once you signed the piece of paper.

The birth defects alone scare me! I hate being on birth control just for this, and I was hoping they would let me slide through since my husband had a vasectomy. They said it doesn't matter....it's the fact that *I* could get pregnant (not that he can't father more children). Such as, if I were to have an affair or be the victim of rape. With my luck, now would be the time when that vasectomy would naturally reverse itself! LOL It's been known to happen. If I turned up pregnant now, I would have a LOT of explaining to do!