Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

You guys know about Niacinamide, right?

I thought I'd post a couple of studies reguarding topical niacinamide on hyperpigmentation. Not only does this vitamin supposedly help significantly reduce hyperpigmention, but it can also help any acne (and fine lines, rosacea, etc. as well.) In fact, one study (which I'll post the link) was shown that 4% topical niacinamide is just as, if not more effective in treating acne than 1% clindamycin gel (a topical antibiotic often perscribed by derms.)

As for red marks, it was shown that niacinamide applied topically (5%) significately decreased hyperpigmentation and increased skin lightness (so if you enjoy a tan, maybe you shouldn't do this lol) just after 4 weeks.

Hyperpigmentation study

Here's the acne study

But yeah I just thought I'd post that. :) I think this comes in a perscription or you can buy niacinamide creams online that are super expensive.. but why bother why you can.. *drumroll*

MAKE YOUR OWN!

Basically what you can do is-

Mix 4 ounces of aloe vera or a moisturizer of your choice (as long as it contains water, as niacinamide is water soluable.) with 1 teaspoon of niacinamide powder. This will make an approximately 4.2% solution.

Someone explains the whole percentage thing well here. (Scroll to the 12th post down)

I just went to GNC and bought a bottle of niacinamide there, which comes in tablet form. Then I used a pill crusher and made it into a fine powder.. then voila! I here you can also by it at Whole Foods. Or else if you want just in pure powder form without needing to crush up the tablets... you can order from bulkactives for pretty cheap. I'm sure there are other sites to order from, but I'm too lazy to look, so use the power of google. :P

more links if you'd like (mainly a couple of reviews):

http://gmuntz.tripod.com/niacinamide.html

http://www.smartskincare.com/reviews/produ...e_20050709.html

My personal experience

Couldn't tell ya.. I've only been doing this for a couple of days. I'll update though if I see any changes. Other than that, enjoy! I spent way too much time typing this up so I hope someone ends up appreciating this thread :P

Another study:

Previous clinical testing of topical niacinamide (vitamin B3) has revealed a broad array of improvements in the appearance of aging facial skin. The study reported here was done to confirm some of those previous observations and to evaluate additional end points such as skin anti-yellowing. Caucasian female subjects (n = 50, aged 40-60 years) participated in a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, split-face, left-right randomized clinical study assessing two topical products: moisturizer control product versus the same moisturizer product containing 5% niacinamide. Niacinamide was well tolerated by the skin and provided significant improvements versus control in end points evaluated previously: fine lines/wrinkles, hyperpigmentation spots, texture, and red blotchiness. In addition, skin yellowing (sallowness) versus control was significantly improved. The mechanism by which this array of benefits is achieved with niacinamide is discussed.

:D Thanks for your response!

I think I will post progress pics considering half of these "omg this worked for me" threads don't usually have before & afters. I have very very severe red marks too so this should be interesting!

omg...i had never heard of this before.....and i thought i knew everything!!

im going in for my 11th fraxel tomorrow and i will ask the doctor about this and maybe get a prescription!

thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Essential Day Spa is such a great place to lurk at! So many wonderful sounding recipes--so little time!

I am VERY, VERY interested in hearing whether or not this works for you... PLEASE keep us updated! :)

^Yeah I love essential day spa... quite addicting :D

I'll update you all for sure! In fact, I'll try to get a "before" picture up tonight. I'll do weekly progress pics just for the hell of it. I'm going to give this 4 weeks though, just like the study.. and if theres not much difference, then how sad!

Hey! Let us know how it goes... post progress pics :) I didn't know about it... if it works maybe I'll ask my derm about it next time I see him.

Alright... as I said I'd post a before picture. I'm not lying when I say my red marks are really, really bad. I also have large red blotches.

Being that I have a webcam, it doesn't show off my hyperpigmentation perfectly.. so in real life, its a lot more "detailed" and reddened. This is the best I can do though lol.. I did try to do this in a lightening though that showed my marks and red blotches the most though, to be as accurate as possible.

Wish me luck :cool:

left side (no active acne)

right side (again, no active acne.)

I'll try to always take the progress pics in the same lighting so you actually tell if this works or not.

I'm going to guinea pig test this too, Could be a really intelligent idea!!

But I'm waiting for the Niacinamide pills to arrive from an online health shop,

But the ingredients are really cheap so why not?

All the best.

+ keep us posted

Anybody tried this while on Accutane? My face really doesn't have pimples on the cheeks (more on my chin). It's mostly a lot of red and what looks to be acne underneath the skin ''(it's really smooth though)''.

Does this dry out your face at all?

Thanks!

d.lax

Alright... as I said I'd post a before picture. I'm not lying when I say my red marks are really, really bad. I also have large red blotches.

Being that I have a webcam, it doesn't show off my hyperpigmentation perfectly.. so in real life, its a lot more "detailed" and reddened. This is the best I can do though lol.. I did try to do this in a lightening though that showed my marks and red blotches the most though, to be as accurate as possible.

Wish me luck :cool:

left side (no active acne)

right side (again, no active acne.)

I'll try to always take the progress pics in the same lighting so you actually tell if this works or not.

I might try this - mention it to my doc and see if I can get it on prescription. I don't trust myself to mix it right, I'll leave it to the pharmacist!

Hi! am reallly interested to know if this stuff works at all....andd if it does can i use it on accutane because my skin has as bad, if not worse red marks and although i am acne free on one side, without makeup i look like i have a face full of acne! frustrating!

so yeah, any updates would be great!

my dermatologist just put me on 'nicomide'...a zinc/vitamin used for the treatment of acne and rosacea. within two weeks it has DEFINATELY helped take down the inflammation incredibly...my acne isnt as "angry" ive been really happy with it

OH SHIT! I forgot about this thread, I should probably update :D

I'll say right now... definitely improvement.. but I'll have to explain more later when I get home because I'm in a huge rush out the door right now.

I'll say right now... definitely improvement.. but I'll have to explain more later when I get home because I'm in a huge rush out the door right now.

soo?

Niacinamide pads are currently sold by the tradename "Niapads Tm) on Amazon.com at a special introductory price. This scientifically made product is better than crushing a few pills and giving up because it did not work.