Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lu lu belle

bought the braun silk epil xelle epilator today....

holy shit! i bought it at lunch and while didn't have time to really try it out decided to test in on a small portion of my leg to see how painful it would be. well, it hurt. a lot. not unbearable, i guess, and it would probably be better after soaking in a hot tub, but the worst part about it is that now i have a bunch of red dots from where the hair was pulled. it did a great job of getting everything in the small section i did, but now i look like i have awful razor burn.

i know there are people here that have used epilators. did you experience this at all? any tips?

thank God.... the red spots went away. they were really awful. for reference though, the epilator seems promising! i'll use it tonight and post results tomorrow.

The bath idea is a good one :) just make sure your skin is completely dry. I actually found my legs more painful than my bikini line. If you are doing sensitive areas though you can put on a numbing gel (like bonjela for ulcers/teething) which helps alot!

oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness. so, it worked really well, but it was also pretty painful. i got my armpits done (excellent job of removing hair too, i only had a couple hairs to pluck out after,) and did my bikini area. (wow was this painful, but after i found a good position to sit it, it was much easier to do.) after about 45 minutes of epilating, i had to quit. my next tackle is my legs. i plan on doing that today, but i'm not looking forward to the pain. what really got me through was seeing the results and telling myself i had to finish what i started. if this really does what it says it does, it's worth it.

I've been looking at possibly purchasing one of these...at least I'd like to purchase one before summer hits. I figure having to shave less in summer is a good thing. I'm glad you said it worked well....I kinda figured it would hurt..but I guess I could live with it if it gives me smooth skin.

i just did my legs, and i have to warn you... i was kind of expecting this from the reviews i read, but because the hair is different lengths, you don't get absolutely everything, so you won't have that just shaven feeling. i don't expect that until after a few times of use. i just don't want you to have too high of expectations. i'll let you know how things progress too. what my legs feel like now is what they normally feel like after a couple hours of shaving. you can't see anything, but you do feel a little hair. (like whne you get goose bumps after shaving.)

anyway, my first leg, i tried doing the same routine as i do shaving---going in long strokes from ankle to knee. with the epilator, it hurts just too much to do that. i found my ankle to be more sensitive than my knee, so i started at the knee and just kind of went around my leg in small sections. i would only do a couple inches at a time, and just move the epilator back and forth all the way around my leg from shin to calf and back again. this helped a lot with the pain. the variety made it a lot more bareable.

That's really helpful that you're documenting your experience for everyone else. There was a topic on this some months ago also that was very good - if you want to search back in the archives. (I think Moosie had started it?)

I still haven't made the epilator plunge (but will someday) but one piece of advice stuck in my head - and that was to make sure to exfoliate regularly where you epilate so you don't get ingrowns. Someone else here might remember more details about this - products / frequency etc.

Good luck!

That's really helpful that you're documenting your experience for everyone else. There was a topic on this some months ago also that was very good - if you want to search back in the archives. (I think Moosie had started it?)

I still haven't made the epilator plunge (but will someday) but one piece of advice stuck in my head - and that was to make sure to exfoliate regularly where you epilate so you don't get ingrowns. Someone else here might remember more details about this - products / frequency etc.

Good luck!

I think I bought that same epilator a few months ago...is it white and pink?

I'm still too scared to use it lol even though I will wax on my own sometimes..but I think I might try using it in the shower sometime since it's waterproof.

One tip a worker at a salon gave me was to use benedryl on red bumps. That didn't really make mine go away faster but it helped with the itching/burning/stinging. Being a girl is hard work...

I think I bought that same epilator a few months ago...is it white and pink?

I'm still too scared to use it lol even though I will wax on my own sometimes..but I think I might try using it in the shower sometime since it's waterproof.

One tip a worker at a salon gave me was to use benedryl on red bumps. That didn't really make mine go away faster but it helped with the itching/burning/stinging. Being a girl is hard work...

I think I have the same one....it was just too painful for me....my legs was bad enough & trying other areas was just a piercing pain.

Waxing works better for me, and I don't feel that's it more irritating. Epillating left me with a lot of redness & some ingrowns too.

I think I have the same one....it was just too painful for me....my legs was bad enough & trying other areas was just a piercing pain.

Waxing works better for me, and I don't feel that's it more irritating. Epillating left me with a lot of redness & some ingrowns too.

I love mine. I think because I waxed (myself) for so many years, it did not hurt at all like I expected it to.

It has taken a few months of regular use for the legs to have that just shaven feeling after epilation. :) I've got it now, though. As you gain experience it will take less and less time. It doesn't even take 5 minutes to do underarms now and not even 20 minutes to do legs (WHOLE leg, both of them). And another 10 to do bikini area. For me, I find that cool compresses help a lot.

Those red bumps are normal and they do go away very quickly. For me they were usually gone within 2 hours.

Hey Wynne, Since you've been doing this for a while - how often do you find you have to do it? Can you get away with doing it once every 4 - 6 weeks? Or can you get away with just touch ups and not a full blown session?

I would dearly like to do this some day! I get so tired of the tweezers at times.

PS: Wynne - thanks for the sewing help ie finishing. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Will let you know if I get it right.

I love mine. I think because I waxed (myself) for so many years, it did not hurt at all like I expected it to.

It has taken a few months of regular use for the legs to have that just shaven feeling after epilation. :) I've got it now, though. As you gain experience it will take less and less time. It doesn't even take 5 minutes to do underarms now and not even 20 minutes to do legs (WHOLE leg, both of them). And another 10 to do bikini area. For me, I find that cool compresses help a lot.

Those red bumps are normal and they do go away very quickly. For me they were usually gone within 2 hours.

holy shit! i bought it at lunch and while didn't have time to really try it out decided to test in on a small portion of my leg to see how painful it would be. well, it hurt. a lot. not unbearable, i guess, and it would probably be better after soaking in a hot tub, but the worst part about it is that now i have a bunch of red dots from where the hair was pulled. it did a great job of getting everything in the small section i did, but now i look like i have awful razor burn.

i know there are people here that have used epilators. did you experience this at all? any tips?

reading all of these responses..I might have to get one of these sooner. Drugstore.com is running a deal on it too. Hmm...

reading all of these responses..I might have to get one of these sooner. Drugstore.com is running a deal on it too. Hmm...

just be mindful: not for the faint of heart.

How often do you have to do it? I would prefer a permanent option for bikini line and underarms and was considering IPL.

Jenstar - what is IPL? My b/f's friend's ex-wife (confusing - sorry) did laser removal I guess. But when I went to read about it online, it sounded like it may not work as well on all hair colors. I think it said redhead was one of the least likely to be permanent for (i'm red). So I'm curious about what IPL might be. Someday ... not to have to remove hair .. . ah ... that WOULD be nice!

Jenstar - what is IPL? My b/f's friend's ex-wife (confusing - sorry) did laser removal I guess. But when I went to read about it online, it sounded like it may not work as well on all hair colors. I think it said redhead was one of the least likely to be permanent for (i'm red). So I'm curious about what IPL might be. Someday ... not to have to remove hair .. . ah ... that WOULD be nice!