Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

Redness/Flushing/Pimples

Just got back from my derm!

She said the redness and flushing I have is definitely Rosacea. The small, persistent pimples I've been getting the past two months are also due to Rosacea. Supposedly, Rosacea can oftentimes be genetic, though it is aggravated by a certain bacteria. The redness and flushing is due to congested capillaries caused by this bacteria.

She gave me three prescription products. The first, Prascion Cleanser, contains sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% and is effective in the reduction of Rosacea redness.

Once in the day, in the mornings, I'm to take Oracea (40mg Doxycycline) with a meal. I'm to take this six weeks to treat the pimples caused by Rosacea. After those six weeks I may be taken off of it, depending on the condition of my skin.

The last product I was given was Duac (1% Clindamycin, 5% Benzoyl Peroxide) to topically treat the pimples. I used Clindamycin for three months last year, and it got me completely clear. The only reason I stopped it was because I thought it was causing these persistent pimples, which I now know are caused by Acne Rosacea.

I haven't used any of these products yet, but I will start tonight. I'm glad that I finally have a diagnosis -- now I can finally start treating the redness, flushing, and pimples.

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for reading. =]

Wow ~ that's great to hear that finally your dermatologist told you something about this persistent redness!

Definitely keep us posted on how well the treatment goes for you!

Thanks, AsiaXiah!

I won't have the Prascion Cleanser until tomorrow, so I'll start tonight with a little bit of Duac, then I'll take an Oracea pill tomorrow morning. I hope the Clindamycin in Duac is anti-inflammatory enough to help the redness instead of hindering it. I'm pretty confident that it'll help the breakouts, at least. We'll see how things go.

She took a look at it and said, "Oh, this is easy," so hopefully this won't be too difficult to treat. The downside is that antibiotics are the best thing in treating Rosacea, but the good side is that once I'm done with my 6-9 weeks of oral antibiotics, the pimples should be very much improved, and they should stay that way. Topical treatment, like Duac, should be enough at that point to keep me clear. That's what my derm said, at least, so I'll see how it goes. As far as the redness goes, these antibiotics and the sulfur should all contribute to reducing the inflammation in my veins and capillaries. The sulfur cleanser especially is aimed to get rid of Rosacea redness, so luckily that's a product I can use without worrying about it losing effectiveness after a few months. I'll see how things go...

I used Duac last night without problem and just now took an Oracea pill for the first time. I still don't have the cleanser (should have it by tonight), so I've just been using my Neutrogena cleanser.

She took a look at it and said, "Oh, this is easy," so hopefully this won't be too difficult to treat. The downside is that antibiotics are the best thing in treating Rosacea, but the good side is that once I'm done with my 6-9 weeks of oral antibiotics, the pimples should be very much improved, and they should stay that way. Topical treatment, like Duac, should be enough at that point to keep me clear. That's what my derm said, at least, so I'll see how it goes. As far as the redness goes, these antibiotics and the sulfur should all contribute to reducing the inflammation in my veins and capillaries. The sulfur cleanser especially is aimed to get rid of Rosacea redness, so luckily that's a product I can use without worrying about it losing effectiveness after a few months. I'll see how things go...

I used Duac last night without problem and just now took an Oracea pill for the first time. I still don't have the cleanser (should have it by tonight), so I've just been using my Neutrogena cleanser.

Glad to hear you got a definitive diagnosis! At least you know what you are trying to treat now. I don't know if your derm mentioned this, but if you have rosacea, you need to be extra careful about sun exposure. Sun can increase the inflammation of the facial veins and capillaries - and it has a cumulative effect over your lifetime. Since you have been diagnosed with this at such a young age, you should probably be extra-careful about the sun and make sure to wear your sunscreen every day.

Glad to hear you got a definitive diagnosis! At least you know what you are trying to treat now. I don't know if your derm mentioned this, but if you have rosacea, you need to be extra careful about sun exposure. Sun can increase the inflammation of the facial veins and capillaries - and it has a cumulative effect over your lifetime. Since you have been diagnosed with this at such a young age, you should probably be extra-careful about the sun and make sure to wear your sunscreen every day.

Wow, just hearing about your regimen makes me excited.

I was actually on a sulfur pack before, a long time ago, when I was on Tazorac. I remember I really liked it (it helped to dry out oils too).

Since your redness/flushing symptoms seem so identical to mine, I'm really now thinking about asking my dermatologist about the redness the next time I go see him (it's just so much harder for me ã… .ã…  I'm in college so by the time I get to go back home, it'll be in late July).

Yeah, I'd definitely try to get a second opinion on your symptoms... Are there any general practitioners in the same area of your college? I've heard that Rosacea and Acne Rosacea can be easier to treat than normal acne because it can be contributed to mostly to inflammation, whereas normal acne has so many multiple causes (hormones, bacteria, comedogenic products, sweat, etc). I don't know if that's true, though, I'll have to see. I'll definitely keep you updated on how these products do for me!

I don't think Duac is for me...

I used the Prascion Cleanser and, though it stank, it didn't seem to bug my skin. I can imagine it being a little drying, but nothing crazy.

I applied Duac about two hours ago, and my face is even redder than it was (I know, I didn't think it possible ;P ) and it burns in areas, mostly everything but my forehead, even though my forehead is redder than usual. I'm sure it's the BP in Duac.

I'm think I'm going to start using my 1% Clindamycin lotion that I have from a month or two ago in the evenings instead of Duac. My derm warned me that it may be too much for my skin. I can only imagine this irritation and burning causing very negative effects on my already inflamed facial veins and capillaries.

I think that Clindamycin would be a better bet. Not only do I know that it's worked wonders on my acne, but I know that it doesn't dry my skin out and it would probably help reduce redness and flushing, since it'd be reducing inflammation in my veins/capillaries. Plus I'd be using it anyway in Duac. I just can't keep up with this burning... I really don't think BP is for me, especially with Rosacea redness.

If nothing else comes up, I'll probably use Clindamycin instead tomorrow night and see how things go. Also, if my face is still burning in the morning, I might use my gentle Neutrogena cleanser instead of my Prascion Cleanser to allow things to get back to normal.

Trial and error, I guess.

Duac just burned my face... It's sooo red! What a step backward. =[ The Oracea, Prascion, and Clindamycin should help reduce inflammation, but hopefully this all goes away before too much damage is done to my capillaries. My face is a little bit dry, and it's very touchy now -- washing my face was a little uncomfortable, and now, afterward, some areas have a bit of a very light "burn" sensation.

I was wondering -- does anyone know how anti-inflammatory Clindamycin is? The root of all my problems is basically inflammation, so I'm wondering how effective Clindamycin would be in treating this.

Duac just burned my face... It's sooo red! What a step backward. =[ The Oracea, Prascion, and Clindamycin should help reduce inflammation, but hopefully this all goes away before too much damage is done to my capillaries. My face is a little bit dry, and it's very touchy now -- washing my face was a little uncomfortable, and now, afterward, some areas have a bit of a very light "burn" sensation.

I was wondering -- does anyone know how anti-inflammatory Clindamycin is? The root of all my problems is basically inflammation, so I'm wondering how effective Clindamycin would be in treating this.

Yeah, maybe it's something in the Duac vehicle that you're having a reaction to, not necessarily the active ingredients.

Because I remember you said you had a bad reaction to Finacea too. I also had such a reaction, and my dermatologist said that it could be that I'm probably just allergic something in the Finacea gel vehicle.

Thanks, guys. I called my derm and she recommended using Duac twice a week. On all the other days, she said I can use Clindamycin in the evenings to reduce inflammation. She recommended continuing like that and seeing whether my skin got better adjusted to the BP in the Duac. If it keeps irritating my skin, then I'll stop using it and we'll discuss other options. I'll see how that goes.

Today my skin is still very red and burned looking, but not as much. I found out that Oracea, while generally prescribed only for Rosacea pauples and pustles, can assist in bringing down inflammation and facial redness for some people. I'll have to wait a few weeks and see if it has any effect like that for me. I'm also glad that, as of yet, my cleanser hasn't caused any irritation in my skin (that I can tell... my skin is so bright and blotchy towards the center, it's hard to tell). I'll have to wait and see if that helps inflammation as well.

The redness is going away. This morning my face looked almost normal-toned, but it always goes redder in areas as the day goes on. I think I'm going to give up Duac. I want to go to the derm and get something for the redness/flushing, but I hate making my dad take me back and forth. My skin has been very dry... so dry that I stopped using the Prascion cleanser three days away to let the dry skin shed off. It peeling like crazy now, so the dry skin should be gone in a few days. I'll then start using Prascion again, but maybe once a day, then I'll work up.

I've been taking Oracea for five days now. I don't know if it's causing this, but I've been breaking out in these skin-colored/slightly pink bumps in strange areas. All the Rosacea pimples I have are basically towards the middle of my face, where it gets reddest. These are in weird areas -- my hairline, jawline, side of face... I even got one today in the corner of my mouth. I've never gotten that before. Could the doxy in Oracea cause breakouts in these areas? I mean, I guess it could be the Prascion... but I haven't used it in three days, and I don't understand how it caused my lip to get a pimple. It could be my Rosacea, but I don't understand why I'd be breaking out so suddenly in all these strange places... I'm also moisturizing more, which could be causing it...

SO. It really can't be my cleanser causing this, I don't think, since I haven't used it in a while. It's probably either moisturizer, Oracea, or my Rosacea breaking me out in weird areas. I've never heard of Oracea breaking people out, though. I don't know what to think... Does having dry skin cause breakouts?

Just got back from my derm!

She said the redness and flushing I have is definitely Rosacea. The small, persistent pimples I've been getting the past two months are also due to Rosacea. Supposedly, Rosacea can oftentimes be genetic, though it is aggravated by a certain bacteria. The redness and flushing is due to congested capillaries caused by this bacteria.

She gave me three prescription products. The first, Prascion Cleanser, contains sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% and is effective in the reduction of Rosacea redness.

Once in the day, in the mornings, I'm to take Oracea (40mg Doxycycline) with a meal. I'm to take this six weeks to treat the pimples caused by Rosacea. After those six weeks I may be taken off of it, depending on the condition of my skin.

The last product I was given was Duac (1% Clindamycin, 5% Benzoyl Peroxide) to topically treat the pimples. I used Clindamycin for three months last year, and it got me completely clear. The only reason I stopped it was because I thought it was causing these persistent pimples, which I now know are caused by Acne Rosacea.

I haven't used any of these products yet, but I will start tonight. I'm glad that I finally have a diagnosis -- now I can finally start treating the redness, flushing, and pimples.

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for reading. =]

Upon reflection, I think it might be my moisturizer causing it. I'll stop moisturizing and let the dry skin flake off on its own. Since I don't think it's my cleanser, I'll start back on it once the dry skin is gone. I'll keep up with Oracea, unless I hear somewhere that it's been known to cause breakouts. I don't think it is, though. I don't think dry skin alone could cause them. Yuck, I hope things start improving soon.

Good luck with your new regimen Lauren :) Im sorry youre struggling with stupid acne and rosacea. You are so young to have rosacea :( Maybe you would like Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin Moisturizer

I'm getting clogged pores in areas that I don't apply moisturizer, so I guess I can check that option off my list.

Could it be the peanut butter I've been eating? I think the first clogged pore (that didn't look red and Rosacea-induced) came up yesterday, and I started eating PB&J again yesterday or the day before (I think it was yesterday). Today, I had two PB&J sandwiches. I didn't notice any new bumps after the first, but a few hours after the second, I started breaking out in all these new little bumps in areas where I don't apply topicals. Is it normal to break out so soon after eating a food that breaks you out? I'll stop eating peanut butter and I'll stop moisturizing and see if they keep cropping up. If they do, then the only other options I can think of would be Oracea or just more Rosacea-pimples, though they don't look like the others and they're not in the same areas. These new ones seem more like they're caused by something I'm putting into my body. I hope it's the peanut butter... I can live without it. At least they're not noticeable and won't leave marks.

I'm getting clogged pores in areas that I don't apply moisturizer, so I guess I can check that option off my list.

Could it be the peanut butter I've been eating? I think the first clogged pore (that didn't look red and Rosacea-induced) came up yesterday, and I started eating PB&J again yesterday or the day before (I think it was yesterday). Today, I had two PB&J sandwiches. I didn't notice any new bumps after the first, but a few hours after the second, I started breaking out in all these new little bumps in areas where I don't apply topicals. Is it normal to break out so soon after eating a food that breaks you out? I'll stop eating peanut butter and I'll stop moisturizing and see if they keep cropping up. If they do, then the only other options I can think of would be Oracea or just more Rosacea-pimples, though they don't look like the others and they're not in the same areas. These new ones seem more like they're caused by something I'm putting into my body. I hope it's the peanut butter... I can live without it. At least they're not noticeable and won't leave marks.

Thanks, Molly! ...Then hopefully it's the peanut butter causing the little itchy clogged pores. I broke out mostly around my mouth, ON my lips, which has never happened before, so that's why I think it's something I ate. I'll stay away from it and post an update if things change. =] G'night!

My skin has been getting worse: more "bug bite" breakouts, some on my neck near my jawline, more redness, more flushing, some little visible capillaries in my lips along with tenderness and sensitivity, soreness in my eyes.

I went to my doctor today (not my derm, who only spends under 5 minutes on me) and he said I don't look like I have Rosacea exactly, but something similar. Whatever it is, it's still basically inflammation in my veins and capillaries that's most likely brought about by bacteria, which is also causing breakouts. I'm getting warmth and some flushing in my ears, neck, and shoulders too, when it gets really bad, plus some warm sensations in my arms and back once in a while, so it's more a vascular disorder that seems different than what people consider is typical to Rosacea.

I really don't care what it's called as long as I know what's causing the symptoms, so I can treat it. I'm still on Oracea (been on it two weeks, though it could be three months before I see results, even). I was taken off the drying Prascion Cleanser and am back on a gentle Neutrogena cleanser. I was told to use that generic Retin A that I got last month but never used, but I don't know... while it may be good for the zits, I think it'll be awful for the inflammation causing the redness/flushing. I'll patch test it for a few days, but I really expect irritation any day now. My dad really wants me to try it, though, but I'm not applying it all over my face until I'm absolutely convinced it's harmless. I don't have high hopes of that happening, though. I was also given Claritin, a antihystimine, which generally help improve redness and flushing symptoms, but that, too, can take a few weeks to work.

What I might plan on doing once I've tried these topicals is Intense Pulse Light therapy. It generally takes 3-5 sessions, but it generally leads to very long-term, if not permanent improvement in redness, flushing, and pimples. Then after I see the results I want, I would use low-dose oral antibiotics to keep the pimples and inflammation/"sensitive" capillaries in my eyes and lips under control. Unfortunately, the IPL treatments are very expensive, so I'd have to see if insurance would help cover it.

What bugs me is that symptoms are worsening every day. Today I started getting the short-lived "bug bite" pimples on my neck, near my jaw. Yesterday it was tenderness in my eyes and a slightly more purpleish tone to a part of my right eyelid. This all started coming about with my period, though, so I think it's hormones driving things crazy.

I'm very inclined to move onto the heavy stuff (IPL) which usually shows great results after a few treatments (which are usually three weeks apart). That takes a while, so it makes sense to start on it soon. I'll give the Retin-A a shot for my dad and doctor, but again, I don't have much faith. Sounds like a bad idea. The Oracea and antihystimine should both help all symptoms, but that takes a while, and they're both more side-maintenance as opposed to treatments. Topicals just seem to irritate. Sorry for the crazy long post, but there are just so many little problems, it's so daunting. Luckily, I don't have to leave the house at all except to go to the derm and doctor, and my parents are both very concerned and willing to do whatever it takes to help, so that's nice. I'm pretty much positive this sudden, fast progression this past week is due to hormones. I'll see if it dies down to where it was before in another few days. Sorry for such a long post.

Since I don't know if what I have is technically "Rosacea" or not, I've just been thinking of it as what it is: a vascular disorder. I'm making a little check sheet here for future reference:

Problems: Constant redness (face) / Flushing (face, ears, neck, chest) / Pimples (face, little on neck) / Inflammation

Causes: Inflammation causes blood vessels and capillaries to dilate, thus causing constant redness and flushing. Veins/capillaries are sensitive and prone to inflammation. Inflammation causes (or is directly linked to) breakouts, which crop up in reddest, most inflamed areas and only occur once inflammation has moved to an area (ex: I'd never break out on my neck, but once I started flushing in that area, I started getting small clogged pores there). Inflammation also sometimes affects the capillaries in eyes and lips, causing soreness and tenderness.

Treatments:

- Oracea (1x daily) - It'll take some weeks, but it should greatly help pimples and also help reduce inflammation in all areas.

- Claritin (1x daily) - For the reduction of inflammation and flushing.

- Clindamycin lotion (1-2x daily) - I'm still trying to determine whether this reduces inflammation.

Future treatments:

I'm looking into IPL treatments. It usually takes 5-6 treatments, usually 3 or so weeks apart, but these treatments commonly reduce/eliminate facial redness, flushing inflammation, and pimples. I'm going to discuss it with my mom when she's in town next week and see if it's in our price range. All these treatments take a while to work, but they should definitely provide results (especially IPL). Until then, I'm being gentle and am trying my best to avoid flushing. I doubt anyone reads this much anymore, but I'll post updates as to whether the IPL treatments are an option or not.

Sorry to hear that the new regimen prescribed by your dermatologist didn't work out so well. I was hoping that you'd finally have found the solution to this horrid redness.

Maybe you can ask around for a good dermatologist who is experienced with rosacea. I mean, I heard that these people are really hard to find, but one who is good usually ends up solving problems for most people with facial redness. I can imagine how down you must've felt to see this new regimen fall apart, but don't give up! I also heard that those IPL treatments work very well for rosacea (or whatever it is; most sources seem to say that IPL is actually about the only thing right now that really can do some heavy-duty work in diminishing those capillaries).

I'd be very careful about the Tretinoin. Just as an update on my side, my face was getting really red from the Differin. My acne cleared up and right now, I have no zits, but my face was really red. So, for a whole week now, I've been just cleansing and using a toner, and my facial redness has started to die down incredibly.

It's so strange. The mechanisms of Tretinoin is increasing bloodflow to the upper-layer dermis by enlarging the capillaries that flow blood to those areas (one of the "benefits" is that this results in more nutrients being delivered). But that just sounds like a plain disaster formula for someone with facial redness. So it really confuses me that some doctors actually prescribe Retin-A for rosacea patients. But, I guess they have must have some kind of reason or evidence for doing so.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck! I'm finally seeing a dermatologist tomorrow, and she's supposed to be really good, so I'll let you know if I end up getting any successful remedies for the persistent redness too.