Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaLa2006

Turning 20 in a few months..

I am going to be turning 20 in like 2 months. I am super short..like almost 5 foot...so I dont look like I am that old. I was wondering where you all go shopping at. Idk if its alright to wear brand names like Hollister..Aeropostale..American Eagle..and stuff like that when you are going into your 20s. I just dont know what kinda of stuff to wear to make me look a lil older. Any ideas??

Just be yourself :) i wouldnt worry about it until you hit 30. The brand names you mentioned dont really make clothing that makes you look that much older though from what i recall...

If you dress 'styley' and by that i mean like celebrities (with the accessories like bags, sunglasses, cute shoes, jewellery) that usually makes you look older and more sophisticated.

From what i recall of a pic of you i saw, you look pretty cute as you are :) i look young for my age too but its a good thing! (unless you go out drinking and forget your id).

Im turning 24 at the end of April and I wear some hollister sweatershirts and t shirts. I also look young for my age. Maybe wearing highheels and lipstick will help. lol Youre birthday is not in a few months! Your birthday is next month\

Edit: You said two months. I read that as a few months when I first read that. I dont know why :shrug: I suck at reading. Im sorry

m00sie- thanks! i will keep that info in mind

acne_battle- i wasnt thinking when i wrote the title...it doesnt feel like Feb to me yet

I'm not the most 100% fashiony person or anything, but I wanted to suggest trying places like Old Navy or The Gap.

I'm 24 and have worn Old Navy clothes in particular for quite a while and probably will continue to do so for quite a while longer.... they have a lot of good basics, plus they always have "trendy" pieces as well each season.

The other nice thing is it's a good mix of casual and also some dressier clothes which translate pretty well to the "grown-up" world of work and business environments.... so it's nice for that sort of transition... cute tank tops and nice dress pants in one place, haha!

That said, 20 isn't really the sort of "grown-up" landmark where you suddenly need to be wearing different clothing or anything that dramatic. But it's true that there will likely be "life changes" in your 20s or 30s that may make some style updates helpful, so it's not a bad thing to keep in mind. But don't feel like you suddenly have to change who you are either! :)

i agree with m00sie, you should just honestly wear what you feel comfortable with. until you're out in the workforce and have to adhere to a different attire standard, you're okay. you'll figure it out. :)

Hi again...I just keep running into your posts...but I think I might be able to help? lol

I'm 20 myself, but I've always had a sort of infatuation with the more chic/stylish buisiness stuff. Like nice blouses that you can pair with jeans. Or nice slacks. I agree that you should wear what you feel comfortable in, but in my opinion, it can never hurt to have a few nice shirts and pairs of pants. I always feel much more confident when wearing this style of clothing-idk, maybe it's just me-but at any rate, if you ever have an office job or internship, etc., you have clothes that you can wear there too! I really like the store Express, but that's just my personal fav., there are lots of other places you can find these sort of items. Express can be a bit pricey, but slacks aren't like jeans, you don't need a pair in every color/wash-a few nice pieces that you can mix & match are perfect. :)

I def. think that you should have comfy clothes for just relaxing though; you don't have to dress up or be all spiffy every day....so yes, hollister, abercrombie, "insert brand here," clothes are perfectly acceptable!

H&M, NY&Co, The Gap...they are all good places to shop. I do most of my "business casual" shopping there. For more trendy clothing I go to teenie-bopper type stores. lol I'm 25, so I can still get away with a young look when I'm not at work.

I'm also 20 going to reach 21 in july. I think I changed my wardrobe when I entered college. Gone were the days when my wardrobe was filled with t-shirts and jeans. Now I see nice short pants, skirts, nice blouses and accesories though in the past I don't wear any. I also began wearing heals. My friends have also commented on how girly I have become in a good way. I think what I wear matches my personality and you should go in that direction as well.