Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunday

Acne escaping problem areas??

So I've been on the regimen for about a month now, and have been following it whether or not I'm clear (never 100%, but I always BP my old problem areas even if they are perfectly clear).

My problem is, I have new problem areas popping up where they pretty much never have before. My main problem areas (for about 2 years) have been my cheeks, and between my eyebrows.

My last outbreak though (about a month ago) hit me with pimples on my forehead, and chin... which I've got under control now, but those areas still pop up new pimples every now and then (and they never used to). Am I just going to have to deal with this?

I keep having to BP more and more of my face every week it seems, and most recently I've got a crop of papules along my RH jawline, again another place where I haven't had an issue in the past.

I did go on doxycycline for 2 months prior to starting the regimen (at which point I stopped, because it wasn't really helping) and I'm wondering if this may be a complication resulting from that or something?

So I've been on the regimen for about a month now, and have been following it whether or not I'm clear (never 100%, but I always BP my old problem areas even if they are perfectly clear).

My problem is, I have new problem areas popping up where they pretty much never have before. My main problem areas (for about 2 years) have been my cheeks, and between my eyebrows.

My last outbreak though (about a month ago) hit me with pimples on my forehead, and chin... which I've got under control now, but those areas still pop up new pimples every now and then (and they never used to). Am I just going to have to deal with this?

I keep having to BP more and more of my face every week it seems, and most recently I've got a crop of papules along my RH jawline, again another place where I haven't had an issue in the past.

I did go on doxycycline for 2 months prior to starting the regimen (at which point I stopped, because it wasn't really helping) and I'm wondering if this may be a complication resulting from that or something?

Yeah I understand that about the antibiotics, but stopped for other reasons really (increased sun damage + only being a temporary solution... figured there was no point).

I only use the BP twice a day all over my face, but like I said my problem is that I never used to have to treat my whole face. I do spot treat sometimes, but only if I have to (a cyst for example).

My skin seems to handle the amount of BP fine, for the first week it was a little flaky but adapted fairly quickly as I've used BP a lot in the past and my skin is naturally reasonably oily. I use a light moisturiser too.

I can half suspect irritation as a cause for the spreading, but that doesn't make sense as I don't really touch non-problem areas much at all - which means those areas can't really be irritated in the first place. So I'm still kinda lost, unless I've come to a point in my life where the acne is migrating/spreading a little more. I turned 20 at about the same time this all happened.

:boohoo:

Well I would stick with the regimen for a month or two and if it only gets worse then I would cut that out and look into alternative ways to manage your skin. Could just be a purging .... But then again maybe the BP is too drying for your skin...?

Hey sunday!

I don't know if there is a specific reason for this, but I will tell you that you are NOT crazy (lol) as I noticed the same thing happening when I first started the Regimen.

My acne was pretty much in exactly the opposite places as yours... my chin mainly, and my temples, and some bumps on my forehead. When I started the Regimen, I suddenly found acne popping up on my cheeks! Not a lot, but definitely in places that had always been clear.

I'm not sure WHY that would happen.... like you I don't think I could have "transfered" anything with my hands since I don't really touch the non-problem areas at all. I almost wonder if it's an internal thing.... whatever is causing the acne is still "in" the skin but has to "move away" from the areas that have been well-treated with bp, so they "go" elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that's likely a faulty analogy though, and that it doesn't REALLY work that way, but I do wonder.

What I ended up doing is applying bp to my whole face BUT I definitely focus on my actual problem areas. The rest of my face gets a brushing of my fingertips as I apply the bp, but not a "full" application. This seems to work for me.

I'd say keep going with following The Regimen precisely for a couple more months and see how it goes. After you maintain it for a few months, any breakouts at all should be VERY minimal, no matter where they are. It sounds like you are doing really well so far, so keep it up! :)

I'd be curious to know if others experience this "escaping acne" phenomenon or if anyone has any "real" suggestions about why this might happen!

MG86 - Yeah I did go through the purging phase when I first started, heaps of little bumps came up on my face, mostly in problem areas but some elsewhere as well... at that stage I was still thankful though because the BP took care of my cysts (slowly but surely). I'm definitely past that phase now though, so I think this must be caused by something different.

Silver Star - Yeah! Like you I can't help but feel like the acne is escaping to places that aren't BP'd. And just like you I know there's no logical theory to back this up (right?), so I've told myself that it can't be the case. But yeah since being on the regimen my problem areas are *relatively* calm and at the very least, very manageable - but I've had bumps show up on my nose, just above my eyelids, and yeah places where I've rarely/never had any before.

I do have a theory on the series that showed up on my jawline though, I shaved it a few days ago and must have irritated it. I shave against the grain to get it all, might try and keep that to a minimum from now on (I don't wanna be all sandpapery for my g/f though!).

Thanks for listening though guys/gals... it's really nice to have a community like this where I can vent / talk / learn.

:wub:

I do have a theory on the series that showed up on my jawline though, I shaved it a few days ago and must have irritated it. I shave against the grain to get it all, might try and keep that to a minimum from now on (I don't wanna be all sandpapery for my g/f though!).

Thanks for listening though guys/gals... it's really nice to have a community like this where I can vent / talk / learn.

My last outbreak though (about a month ago) hit me with pimples on my forehead, and chin... which I've got under control now, but those areas still pop up new pimples every now and then (and they never used to). Am I just going to have to deal with this?I keep having to BP more and more of my face every week it seems, and most recently I've got a crop of papules along my RH jawline, again another place where I haven't had an issue in the past.

AH OTHER RAZOR SHAVER!!!

Im telling you this was the cause of all the acne on my jawline, once i stopped shaving with a razor and just used a trimmer I never got acne along my jawline or around my mouth again. I picked up this http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/just_a_trim.html from a walmart and I love the thing, not only for facial hair but its also good for the sideburns, back of the neck, and any other areas you might want to shave. I know its nice to have that clean shaven skin but I am serious when I say that it stopped alot of acne. I believe that part of the reason is when you shave with a razor your forcing your hair back into your pores, the oil in your pores uses your hairs to escape so when your facial hair is really short the oil sits right at the top of the pore making it more likely to block up. I suggest you give it a shot, unless you are hellbent on having a clean shave. Good luck to ya!

AH OTHER RAZOR SHAVER!!!

Im telling you this was the cause of all the acne on my jawline, once i stopped shaving with a razor and just used a trimmer I never got acne along my jawline or around my mouth again. I picked up this http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/just_a_trim.html from a walmart and I love the thing, not only for facial hair but its also good for the sideburns, back of the neck, and any other areas you might want to shave. I know its nice to have that clean shaven skin but I am serious when I say that it stopped alot of acne. I believe that part of the reason is when you shave with a razor your forcing your hair back into your pores, the oil in your pores uses your hairs to escape so when your facial hair is really short the oil sits right at the top of the pore making it more likely to block up. I suggest you give it a shot, unless you are hellbent on having a clean shave. Good luck to ya!

Thank you Sunday for writing about this. It is nice to know that I'm not the only person thinking this is the case!

I'm about 10 weeks into the regimen and I can't believe the places acne has decided to show up. Like others have said, I used to have acne limited to only certain parts of my face and now I am getting it in places I never got it before (and I've had acne for 14 years!). I'm using the exact same cleanser I was using before the regimen (Purpose) and wasn't using the other products on the parts that didn't need them.

I'm now starting to use the regimen on almost my entire face... lets hope it works!

Thanks for the replies.

Jillyane - That's interesting, because after 14 years I'd suspect that the acne popping up elsewhere couldn't just be a result of maturing. Be nice to hear what Dan has to say on the spreading issue.

MG86 - Can I ask roughly how short the trimmer leaves hair? like 0.5mm or whatever for example.

I'm currently using a 3-blade razor and I've read all Dan's material on shaving. I'll switch to the Gillette 2-blade at the next opportunity, and I'll quit shaving against the grain... at least as much as I can. If there's still issues I'll certainly try an electric.

Can I ask, when guys are shaving under their chin/jawline (w/ razor), is "with the grain" still a downwards motion? It just doesn't seem to get the hair for me, so I end up having to go upwards... open to a solution there, but i hate wisps of hair hanging around.

For the record, I do disagree with Dan on the shaving every-day thing, I think that can be taken on a case by case basis... I feel I irritate myself less if I just shave when I need to (usually only for nights out), shaving while my hair is slightly shorter doesn't seem to irritate any less so doing it more often doesn't really seem beneficial.