Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cidiv

Are stomach aches after eating broccoli a signal that I am allergic to it?

It's happened to me for the past 2 nights. Althought i get a few pimples, ist difficult to tell whether its from the broccoli. Are stomach aches a sign that I am allergic to them or is this normal when eating broccoli?

Cruciferous veggies sometimes cause gas; thus the stomach aches. It's not uncommon. Everyone has different flora in their guts so each person reacts slightly differently to some veggies/meats/etc. To better enhance your ability to digest said veggies, try adding in yogurt with live active cultures, other probiotics, kefir, etc either during, before, or right after your meal. Or could see if something like "beano' helps. :)

Cruciferous veggies are excellent against cancer! Eat up. :)

It's happened to me for the past 2 nights. Althought i get a few pimples, ist difficult to tell whether its from the broccoli. Are stomach aches a sign that I am allergic to them or is this normal when eating broccoli?

Broccoli is well known to cause digestive problems. Make sure you cook it well before eating.

Broccoli is well known to cause digestive problems. Make sure you cook it well before eating.

Ironically, according to some sources, broccoli causes a lot less flatulence when it's eaten raw.

I've never had a problem with broccoli, so I personally wouldn't know.

Another reason to cook your broccoli is that it contains goitrogenic compounds (inhibits iodine absorbtion) that are destroyed by cooking.

Another reason to cook your broccoli is that it contains goitrogenic compounds (inhibits iodine absorbtion) that are destroyed by cooking.

I 2nd that. Raw broccoli or other goitrogenic foods in larger quantities will supress thyroid function. Personally, I always cook broccoli or cauliflower before I eat it and never consume it in large quantities at a time. What may help with gas too, especially if it continues after you try cooking it is digestive enzymes.

*****okay, so first, goitrogenic foods don't really cause problems unless you already have a thyroid problem. 2nd, if you cook broccoli, you're losing nutritional value. Many vitamins are heat-sensitive and when you cook with water, you lose water-soluble vitamins, like vitamin A found in broccoli. And to the solution about eating yogurt sounds great. however, since calcium inhibits iron absorption, you need to make sure that you eat food with iron separate from food/drink with calcium.

...If you cook it don't you lose the nutrients from it?

Yes. Lightly steamed is enough to help digest it without losing the nutrients. I wouldn't be terribly worried about your thyroid unless you're eating an entire broccoli plant three times a day.

Exactly :)

*****okay, so first, goitrogenic foods don't really cause problems unless you already have a thyroid problem. 2nd, if you cook broccoli, you're losing nutritional value.

And thyroid problems are among the most commonly under diagnosed conditions. If you do have a low functioning thyroid, you may want to cook goitrogenic foods in water, just cook until tender crisp and don't over cook.

Steam, saute and stir fry your broccoli and other greens. Stop before the bright color starts to fade to brown.

After consulting my GP about food allergies; he gave me a simple home test. He said its basic and can be open to large variations however. Its to do with measuring your pulse before and after you consume a food item. If you are allergic to something he claimed your heart rate should increase.

I luckily had a wrist device to measure blood pressure and other variables and it seems surprisingly accurate and stable.

I decided to give it a test on dairy products. Measured my pulse before then after consuming some cows milk. There was a noticeable rise in my heart rate. I took an average of 10 tests over the time period i conducted it, and there was little variance.

I also did a control on other foods and it yielded some interesting results. When you eat, your heart rate will increase (obviously due to digestion taking place) However i noted a considerable rise in heart rate with respect to the cows milk than any other food item.

This isnt an exact science but the results were interesting. You could give this test a try. From first looks it seems to be relatively effective.

Edited by MJ.23