Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, so I have REALLY bad acne. I am currently on Accutane for the second time (I took a 3 month course 2 years ago and my acne cleared up almost to the point where I had none) but now it doesn't seem to be working. I have to take 1 tablet every other day because my skin has flared up because of it and I have to see my derm every 2-4 weeks. I have just been put on steroid tablets by my derm and I have also been on Dianette for the past 2 years or so and that hasn't helped whatsoever. Anyway, I just see no point to life .. I am at uni studing languages and acne is even affecting this aspect of my life and it didn't used to before. I can't speak in front of people/groups because I just go bright red like a tomato (LOL) so I never get to practise speaking languages and I am thinking of dropping out of uni before my oral exams because I feel I will just burst out crying in them. Haha! Phew .. And yeah, I really wanna be an air hostess but I know that I have no chance of being one with acne and there's nothing else I really want to do in life .. I have never had a boyfriend and this is making me even more depressed. I never go out and spend my time watching TV and surfing the Net. I think I would be depressed anyway because I experienced things in my childhood that kinda screwed me up but acne just makes it 1000 times worse .. I just wanna know if anyone else feel that acne has completely ruined their life forever and yeah .. :boohoo:

how old are you elizabeth? i am guessing early 20s, and if that's the case, I was exactly where you are at that age. I developed severe cystic acne while in college, and I started to isolate myself. i'm will npt just tell you to go out and live your life because i relate to how hard it is when you are so depressed and concerned about your appearance. i will say that this is not forever and you are experiencing what many people your age ado...just with acne. there is the disillusionment of not knowing what the hell to do with your life coupled with the fear that you are not living your life to the fullest. my answer to that is everyone has their own pace. i didn't have a girlfriend until i was 24, and when i was ready for that relationship, it was great. and as for school, i wouldn't encourage you to drop out because of your acne, but if this career path is not your passion, there is still plenty of time to change course. just stick to something and not just retreat into your room and tv. for me, after college, i worked in retail and had to deal with customers while i had huge cyst all over my face. it was really embarrassing and hard for me to go to work everyday, but i did. now i have a successful career related to my degree (art) and am very happy with this path. i'm 28 now and still have a lot of scars which bring me down sometimes, but i am also happy sometimes. i guess that is the most anyone can expect. but in a sense, looking back on how much my life has changed in the past 8 years or so, i have a greater pride and appreciation for my accomplishments because of the fact that i did it all with acne and scars all over my face. the only 'advice' i would give is that people are not as harsh as you think, and the truth is, they are probably too busy with their own lives to care about your face. i think the more time you spend with people, the more you will see that.

how old are you elizabeth? i am guessing early 20s, and if that's the case, I was exactly where you are at that age. I developed severe cystic acne while in college, and I started to isolate myself. i'm will npt just tell you to go out and live your life because i relate to how hard it is when you are so depressed and concerned about your appearance. i will say that this is not forever and you are experiencing what many people your age ado...just with acne. there is the disillusionment of not knowing what the hell to do with your life coupled with the fear that you are not living your life to the fullest. my answer to that is everyone has their own pace. i didn't have a girlfriend until i was 24, and when i was ready for that relationship, it was great. and as for school, i wouldn't encourage you to drop out because of your acne, but if this career path is not your passion, there is still plenty of time to change course. just stick to something and not just retreat into your room and tv. for me, after college, i worked in retail and had to deal with customers while i had huge cyst all over my face. it was really embarrassing and hard for me to go to work everyday, but i did. now i have a successful career related to my degree (art) and am very happy with this path. i'm 28 now and still have a lot of scars which bring me down sometimes, but i am also happy sometimes. i guess that is the most anyone can expect. but in a sense, looking back on how much my life has changed in the past 8 years or so, i have a greater pride and appreciation for my accomplishments because of the fact that i did it all with acne and scars all over my face. the only 'advice' i would give is that people are not as harsh as you think, and the truth is, they are probably too busy with their own lives to care about your face. i think the more time you spend with people, the more you will see that.

First, I would like to say that you made some wonderful points in your post elevate.

Now to respond to your post Elizabeth, I'm 19 as well and I live in the city so I'm constantly surrounded by people. The moment I step out the door theres someone around the corner. There are times when I want to just hide in my house, but I've slowly come to realize that I shouldn't let acne run my life. Acne hasn't ruined my life nor has it made it any better. Because of my acne I'm afraid of meeting people who I haven't seen in a very long time. I guess that's the biggest downfall. I'd love to hang out with them but I'm afraid of what they'll say. Its true as you get to know someone better, they don't see your acne anymore but the person you are. My friends are sort of my confidence. They're what helps me get through school and life in general and I don't know what I'd do without them. During the summers and long breaks, I usually start to get down again when I'm not around them. Even weekends get a little lonely some to me. I just spend my time watching movies or lying in bed. Whenever I look into the mirror and feel that acne has cursed me, I tell myself there are people with worse living conditions then me out there. Some people are starving, some people only have a few months to live and they'd give anything to have acne instead of death. Acne unlike some diseases can eventually be cured. We should be thankful for the things we have and live life to the fullest while we can.

I'm not a great public speaker myself but as long as there's someone standing next to me I have the confidence to do it. Why won't you have a chance to become an air hostess with acne? That doesn't make sense. I think you should follow your dreams. Relationships are always a headache. The biggest thing I miss about it was having someone I could constantly rely on to talk to. I miss having someone around, but sometimes I feel its easier to not have to worry about that aspect of life. Theres always the jealous issue, the did I offend you, and a whole list of other things to worry about with relationships. Right now, I'm just looking for more friends who I can count on when I need them or just some people to talk to.

Okay, so I have REALLY bad acne. I am currently on Accutane for the second time (I took a 3 month course 2 years ago and my acne cleared up almost to the point where I had none) but now it doesn't seem to be working. I have to take 1 tablet every other day because my skin has flared up because of it and I have to see my derm every 2-4 weeks. I have just been put on steroid tablets by my derm and I have also been on Dianette for the past 2 years or so and that hasn't helped whatsoever. Anyway, I just see no point to life .. I am at uni studing languages and acne is even affecting this aspect of my life and it didn't used to before. I can't speak in front of people/groups because I just go bright red like a tomato (LOL) so I never get to practise speaking languages and I am thinking of dropping out of uni before my oral exams because I feel I will just burst out crying in them. Haha! Phew .. And yeah, I really wanna be an air hostess but I know that I have no chance of being one with acne and there's nothing else I really want to do in life .. I have never had a boyfriend and this is making me even more depressed. I never go out and spend my time watching TV and surfing the Net. I think I would be depressed anyway because I experienced things in my childhood that kinda screwed me up but acne just makes it 1000 times worse .. I just wanna know if anyone else feel that acne has completely ruined their life forever and yeah .. :boohoo:

Hi Elizabeth ,

The most severe periods of my acne conveniently happened during my further education ,, (thank you mother nature). :doh:

Anyway I found a little story about a girl who feared acne would ruin her career,

But she eventually beat it and ended up an air hostess. LINK

I think you are articulate and your personality will shine through,,

All the best

dont let it hold u down that much.... contact ur friends and persuade them to hang out. Oh and if u wanna be an air hostess keep pursuing your dream , i used to take accounts and same thing happened at around 2007 it got quite bad but i stuck to it (even though it was very tough.)

now im beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.from what i can see you're really beautiful , i msure when people meet youre theyre not peering to see your spots. tc :/

Elevates post was very cool, gotta stick at these things and look back on what you have accomplished.

Your the first person I have heard of whos ambition is to be an air hostess - I didnt know you needed a degree to be one but I imagine languages would help greatly. The presenting side of uni life is one of the biggest drawbacks for me, makes me wish I do an open university course from home or something - I missed a big group presentation at the end of last semester simply because I was petrified and it has messed my course up royally. Worst thing I could of done.

As has already been said, if thats you in your avatar you will have no problem finding a boyfirend. It looks like you can laugh about things too, the ability to not take things so seriously is greatly undervalued in our society I find.

hey elizabeth cheer up!!! You are still young and I believe your acne will clear up. Main thing is not to pick ur acne which will scar it.

I also feel that acne totally ruined my life. I used to have a girlfriend pre-acne days and we had many sweet memories together until I started having VERY SEVERE acne combined with acne rosecea( go look what it is, now you know how ugly my face is ). I still hanged out with her and stuff but my confidence was greatly affected and slowly we drifted apart. She called me to break off soon( and she gt a new bf after that ).

My acne died down now later, but I have scars to deal with. I feel depressed and sucidal after that( the scars and also the loss of my gf in such a random stupid way ). But still I told myself that whatever God throws at me in life( unless its death ), I still have to live on and be strong. Things will get better soon.

Heyla Elizabeth,

everything here has been said but I just wanted to add:

(and it applies for me as well)

If you sit inside all day, if you don't go out you won't find a boyfriend, any friend (only online friends), so don't get stuck in that downwinding spiral (oops, I'm not English, dunno if it translates)

Also I wish to say that, if that's you on your profile pic, you are very pretty, and definitely airhostess material. I wish I was a stewardess, in stead I'm an engineer because I just sat inside all day and night anyway, might as well study hard, haha, but, it will be good for your confidence to be confronted with all those people in the airplaine, you will look sweet in your uniform and travel all over the big world and your pimples will look sooo small compared to all those other spots and sites :-)

Good luck!x