Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philiwily

Painful cyst on my earlobe

I have a painful cyst right on my earlobe. It's been there for about a month. It was real bad for a week, then it seemed to go away, but now it's back and very painful. I've taken a bit of Advil to see if that would help with the inflammation and it hasn't done much. I'm doing my best not to play with it. Does anybody have a suggestion on what I can do to get rid of this? :(

Are you sure thats not a keloid from a pierced earring? That is a frequent problem people have when we get our ears pierced with a piercing gun instead of a needle

Aww man, those suck! (I'm assuming it's a cyst here, because my ears have never been pierced.) My earlobes have never been completely clear, since I was maybe 10-11, and all that's really helped is to apply my regular acne topicals and then step it up a notch when there is a really large, painful one (apply an extra blob of bp, Duac, or Sulfacet, depending on when it was).

The pain will multiply by about 10,000, if you accidentally poke it too hard. That's how I eventually learned not to touch the dang things . . . I wonder if derms can inject them? That would've been a really nice option to have for a few of them.

Do you get, kind of, "seeds"? They feel like tiny grains. Example: My ears are as clear as they've ever been, and I have 3 seeds and 1 newborn cyst on my right earlobe and 2 grains and a retreating cyst on my left earlobe. They're that small. If you're aware of them, you can cut down on the cysts by being fanatically careful not to agitate any of them. No earrings, rarely touch your ears, be careful with turtlenecks . . .

I've tried ice there, but it gives me a headache, so that's all I've got.

Aww man, those suck! (I'm assuming it's a cyst here, because my ears have never been pierced.) My earlobes have never been completely clear, since I was maybe 10-11, and all that's really helped is to apply my regular acne topicals and then step it up a notch when there is a really large, painful one (apply an extra blob of bp, Duac, or Sulfacet, depending on when it was).

The pain will multiply by about 10,000, if you accidentally poke it too hard. That's how I eventually learned not to touch the dang things . . . I wonder if derms can inject them? That would've been a really nice option to have for a few of them.

Do you get, kind of, "seeds"? They feel like tiny grains. Example: My ears are as clear as they've ever been, and I have 3 seeds and 1 newborn cyst on my right earlobe and 2 grains and a retreating cyst on my left earlobe. They're that small. If you're aware of them, you can cut down on the cysts by being fanatically careful not to agitate any of them. No earrings, rarely touch your ears, be careful with turtlenecks . . .

Oh god, I would be a basket case with a needle that close to my face. Not to say it it wouldn't help . . . just . . .

Well, I'm currently looking around for a dermatologist. Aside from this cyst, I have several more that are very painful and flare up for weeks at a time. I'll see what they can do about removing them. I also figured it's time I talked to a real dermatologist about my acne and not just my doctor. I'm sick of having dry, painful skin and wasting my time with products that don't work.

Hey earlobe cyst folks. I've gotten those for years! I've had acne since I was thirteen and am now 21, but i only recently discovered why those crazy painful cysts happen in my ears ( you know the ones that throb when touched or when you lay down on the side of your head). Its from sugar- honest. I haven't touched sugar in around 3 months and then I eat 3 bananas and my ears and the side of the little flap thing you close when you don't want to hear something, exploded in about 3-5 days. Now this kept happening to me over last summer and I was like what is going on. Turns out i was eating to much fruit. So for me and for some others like Labgirl 81, its either a sugar problem or an allergy to some fruit ( and/or its sugar) That's all I got :) you can do with it what you will. I've found that tea tree oil really helps there too. Good luck

those suck, i had a big one behind my ear. i got so big, people started noticing it and asking me what it was. well, needless to say, one night it was very itchy. and there was a lot of dry skin on it, so i took off a layer of dry skin, and the next thing you know, it's gushing this clearish fluid. i knew i shouldn't have, but i figured since it was open, i should just squeeze it all out, because it's no good to keep all of that in there. i'm on doxy anyways, so i figured this would help to shrink it. it has, now alll that's left is a small lump that still has fluid inside, but it's so much smaller i can actually hide it until my derm takes care of it.

oh, and don't wear hats that go over the ear, this only puts pressure on the cyst and might inadvertently squeeze that nasty stuff out when you don't want it to, like when you're around others.

I had to have on of these cysts surgically removed. as i have a habit of finding bumps in my earlobe and squeezing, this happened to me again. The cyst is usually caused from an infection when the bump is squeezed but pops from the inside. As time went on my cyst began to grow, and in my complete panic i decided to randomly try dabbing some Tea Tree Oil on it, to my surprise my cyst began to drain itself over the next few days, and within a week of using the tea tree oil, my cysts was gone! no $400 surgery to have it removed, no needles, and no pain.

Good luck!

Hi

Sorry to hear that you may have developed a possible Cyst.In my teenage years i developed a cyst on my face which was not allowed to be taken of for 6 years so i understand your frustrations. This led me to my research and check out follow my new Blog if your interested in my findings (Im rubbish at this blog stuff at the moment but ill improve)

First of all Cysts, can in a small percentage of people sort them selves out on their own, though this is very rare. Squeezing a cyst can lead to a massive discharge though this is not advisable and will only cause more cysts to develop. Also this can lead to infection and I have seen many cases where people’s faces have swollen up due to popping a cyst. Many people I have researched and spoken too have popped it on their own with a clean needle. The chances are the removal of a cyst will leave a scar but doing a ‘DIY im not trained’ job on it will increase the size of the scar, and again people are prone to infection. Im not saying people haven't done a very good job of this but its tricky and the whole sac of the cyst has to be fully removed otherwise the cyst will fill back up and return. Also I have spoken to people who have used tea tree oil to try drying up the area and bringing the fluid to the surface. Some people have sworn by this who I have spoken to, and tea tree oil is amazing oil, though I have not read any supportive material and evidence on this working, so I do not suggest this to anyone. I also of yet not manage to find out if there are negatives of this method.

Finally I conclude the boring obvious conclusion is to see a dermatologist, who will remove the Cyst. Also if it leaves a scar you can also push for them to refine the scar a few months later

I really hope this helps and please check out and follow my new Blog I really don’t want my research to go to waste

Mark Pizey

I have a painful cyst right on my earlobe. It's been there for about a month. It was real bad for a week, then it seemed to go away, but now it's back and very painful. I've taken a bit of Advil to see if that would help with the inflammation and it hasn't done much. I'm doing my best not to play with it. Does anybody have a suggestion on what I can do to get rid of this? :(

my Dr told me they are calcium deposits and yes they do flare up into cysts if they are disturbed too much