Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrwillie

Good products from Walmart, CVS or Walgreens?

Can someone recommend good products for an entire regime from Walmart, CVS or Walgreens? Price don't matter, I just don't order online and these stores are nearby. Plus I'm a guy, I don't spend too much time in the beauty or skincare section. I'd appreciate any suggestions on specific products. Right now I just use Neutrogena Deep Clean cleanser, and Neutrogena On the Spot cream, sometimes I use SeaBreeze Deep-Clean astringent for oily skin. I have very mild acne but I have clogged/large pores and uneveness in skin tone. Any help for my symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I love all the info on this forum.

How are you using the BP right now? As an all-over treatment (which is how its best used) or as a spot treat?

Do you get any inflamed acne, or do you just have non-inflamed (clogged pores)?

Since you mentioned you have clogged pores and uneven skin, you really should be exfoliating, either mechanically or chemically (or both). You could buy one of those spinning, battery-operated toothbrushes or a baby brush to manually exfoliate your skin. If by uneven skin tone you mean redness, try pure aloe vera gel. I hear the Aqua Glycolic cleanser (Walgreens) is awesome, too.

How are you using the BP right now? As an all-over treatment (which is how its best used) or as a spot treat?

Do you get any inflamed acne, or do you just have non-inflamed (clogged pores)?

I use the Neutrogena BP as an all over treatment after a shower. I have non-inflamed acne, maybe folliculitis since I've been reading up on here. I get occasional inflamed acne if I use the wrong soap (like bar soap), or run out of on the spot treatment. I mainly want a routine to clear my pores to make them appear smaller on my cheeks.

I have Phisohex liquid soap and Triamcinolone Acetonide cream in the medicine cabinet for folliculitis. My father got it perscribed for rashes on his body, but I don't know if it's safe for the face, esp the cream it's real thick and greasy.

I tried the aspirin mask. I have a self heating "City Face" thermal micro-d skin refinisher. I use it occasionally. I almost out of it, it's $40 a small bottle so I prob won't buy it again for exfoliating.

Ok, so for some product recs:

1. If you like the Neutrogena BP, I'd keep using it. Do you think it keeps the inflamed acne pretty well under control? If so, then just keep using it like you are - as an all over treatment. You could probably use it once or twice a day, depending on your skin sensitivity.

2. I wouldn't use the liquid soap or the cream on your face - sounds like it might irritate your skin and/or clog your pores. Also ditch the Neutrogena cleanser you are currently using.

3. Cleanser - you'll probably want a good, non-medicated cleansers or even a scrub. The medicated ones generally don't do much besides dry out your skin. If you get a scrub (which may work great for your skin, since you mainly have non-inflamed acne), you want one that isn't too harsh. You can also just add a little bit of sugar to a regular cleanser, which should work fine for exfoliating. Some suggestions for scrubs or cleansers:

Scrubs:

-Clean and Clear Oxygenating Facial scrub

-Dove Energy Glow Skin Brightening Facial Cleanser

-Dove Gentle Exfoliating Daily Facial Cleanser

-Ponds Fresh Start Daily Exfoliating Cleanser

Cleanser:

-Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Oil Free

-Dove Sensitive Skin Foaming Facial Cleanser

-Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

-Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser

-Neutrogena One Step Gentle Cleanser

-Olay Foaming Facewash for Sensitive Skin

For exfoliation, you might also consider what Calla lily suggested, and use a soft facial brush (or even a soft washcloth). Also, as she suggests, an AHA product might be really helpful. Any of the Alpha Hydroxy products, except for (oddly enough) the oil free lotion are good:

-Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Gel*

-Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion*

-Alpha Hydrox AHA Exfoliating Cream*

-Neutrogena Health Skin Face Lotion-Night (only if you can’t find anything else, I really doubt its that strong of an exfoliant)

If you use one of the more lotion-type products, you may not need a moisturizer. If you don't use an AHA product or if you use the AHA gel, then you might want a moisturizer. Some suggestions:

-Aveeno radiant skin moisturizer

-DDF oil free ultra light moisturizing dew

-Neutrogena Healthy Defense moisturizer

-Neutrogena Oil Free (SPF 15)

-Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer, for sensitive skin

Also, if you want some help putting this into a specific regimen, here is a good one for non-inflamed acne. It was created by my esthetician who specializes in treating acne. It is the regimen I used when I first started going to her clinic, and it worked great for me:

http://www.acne.org/non-inflamed-acne-regimen.html

Thanks so much willow, This is what I picked up from CVS. I had a hard time finding some stuff I couldn't find any of the Alpha Hydrox brand.

Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash (sensitive)

Dove Gentle Exfoliating Daily Facial Cleanser

Clean & Clear Oxygenating Facial Scrub

and some more Neutrogena On the Spot BP (wish this came in a much larger tube)

and I remember Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleaner/Mask working good so I picked that up. (let me know if this isn't recommended)

I couldn't find any Alpha Hydrox products. I don't know if I have AHA products my list, and I don't know what to use daily/weekly etc.. I ditched the Neutrogena Deep Clean. Should I be using a lotion? I never have used lotion at all on my face before. Thanks for all the recommendations on the products, because I'll spend $100 on whatever looks nice off the shelfs otherwise, lol.

Thanks so much willow, This is what I picked up from CVS. I had a hard time finding some stuff I couldn't find any of the Alpha Hydrox brand.

Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash (sensitive)

Dove Gentle Exfoliating Daily Facial Cleanser

Clean & Clear Oxygenating Facial Scrub

and some more Neutrogena On the Spot BP (wish this came in a much larger tube)

and I remember Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleaner/Mask working good so I picked that up. (let me know if this isn't recommended)

I couldn't find any Alpha Hydrox products. I don't know if I have AHA products my list, and I don't know what to use daily/weekly etc.. I ditched the Neutrogena Deep Clean. Should I be using a lotion? I never have used lotion at all on my face before. Thanks for all the recommendations on the products, because I'll spend $100 on whatever looks nice off the shelfs otherwise, lol.

No problem! I know that with so many products out there, its really hard to figure out which to buy!

Are you planning on alternating cleansers? It looks like you have one regular cleanser and two scrubs/exfoliating cleansers?

I'll see if I can find the ingredients or any product recs on the neutrogena clear pore cleanser/mask. For some reason I am thinking it might be a problematic product, but let me check on that.

Do you have a Walgreens near you? They usually carry alpha hydrox products. If you can't find a drugstore AHA, you might try to get a BHA (salicylic) leave on treatment. They might be a little easier to find in drug stores.

As to a lotion - I guess it depends on how dry your skin gets on this regimen. Acne treatment products can really dry out your skin, so you might want to consider a moisturizer if you get dry. I think one of the neutrogena moisturizers has either salicylic or glycolic in it. That might give you some hydration plus a little bit of exfoliation as well.