Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grinder

Loneliness (Topic dupe #3499293)

First post here in years.

I am very lonely in college.

I have no friends. No roommate. No acquaintances. I eat alone. I sit in class alone.

I cannot concentrate and am worried it will effect my grades.

Discuss.

I have no friends. No roommate. No acquaintances. I eat alone. I sit in class alone.

Discuss.

Discuss.

Discuss.

Do you have depression?

Sometimes, not having enough substantial contact with others can negatively impact your cognitive functions. Why don't you try to attend a social outing (with friends, family, etc.)? If your mood improves, then social isolation might be the culprit.

If not, there is a possibility that you might have depression. I know a person who has dysthymia, and withdrawing from others was one of the first results of his "blue mood".

Sometimes, not having enough substantial contact with others can negatively impact your cognitive functions. Why don't you try to attend a social outing (with friends, family, etc.)? If your mood improves, then social isolation might be the culprit.

If not, there is a possibility that you might have depression. I know a person who has dysthymia, and withdrawing from others was one of the first results of his "blue mood".

Yes. That is why I came here. I tried calling my sister but her cell phone does not work. I could only read a paragraph at a time from my textbook until I just had to stop. Really, I'm not sure I would mind just dying if it was not for my little brother (11) telling me he loved me before I left to go back for college this semester.

The guy I know was an absolute bookworm. He read a 200 page dictionary--for fun. When he got dysthymia, he couldn't tolerate reading anymore. It was really heartbreaking for me to watch him struggle with it :( . He would go through 5-6 books, trying to get the "zing" back, but he usually couldn't get past the first chapter. He told me it was like being robbed. *sigh*

The guy I know was an absolute bookworm. He read a 200 page dictionary--for fun. When he got dysthymia, he couldn't tolerate reading anymore. It was really heartbreaking for me to watch him struggle with it :( . He would go through 5-6 books, trying to get the "zing" back, but he usually couldn't get past the first chapter. He told me it was like being robbed. *sigh*

Jolian, what was the cause of his condition?

From what he tells me, it was a combination of an inability to concentrate and a significant loss of interest, both of which are symptoms of depression.

I loved reading so much for so many years and now it's a struggle to get through even a single novel, and I have no enthusiasm for it.

i'm the same. no friends. no roommate. not much interaction with anyone. i drive 3 hours to go home every friday night so i dont have to sit alone in my room on weekends. it sucks. the only good thing is it didn't affect my grades. in fact i did better (i got a 4.0) than when i had and roommate and was a little social. but i would give up my brains in a second to have a life.

I hear ya.

No real friends here. I've actually always had fairweather friends that I've kept becuase of our matching sense of humor. We always showed this effortless casual apathy towards each other despite remaining friends for such a long time, and having some pretty fucking good times. I really resent them now, and I also myself for not finding new friends so I can tell these guys to fuck off once and for all. It wouldn't effect them much though, they'd probably just laugh about it. Not telling them all to fuck off straight after not being invited to the highschool grad photo shoot was my biggest mistake. The worst part was actually being present when they were bloody CONFIRMING the time and place they'd meet prior to heading off for the shoot. I just stood there thinking "WTF" and then created a false sense of emotional wallery by thinking "ok, first I've heard of it, but whatever".

But yeah, it sucks not having real friends. Not so much in my day to day life, but on days like these, where I spend the whole day at home, with the time just flying by (thank you the internet and childish imagination) and thinking in the back of my mind that I'll do something later on, but then having nobody return my calls and going for the same long walks while running into people from work who just have to ask where I'm headed.

Oops, that was a rant wasn't it?

Maybe as a guy friends are cool but as a girl all they do is bitch behind each other's back. I hang out with guy friends :)

Maybe as a guy friends are cool but as a girl all they do is bitch behind each other's back. I hang out with guy friends :)

Nah, we suck too. It's just that instead of saying shit behind each other's backs, we say it to their face, shit goes down, and then we get kicked out of the bar, and have to walk home because you're too damn drunk, and don't want to wreck your car, and then some stupid kids drive by in their mom's car and yell weird shit at you that you can't really understand, but it pisses you off none the less, so you kick that stupid broke ass telephone pole, forgetting about your ingrown toenail until the next day when you can hardly walk, and it's swollen to like twice it's size, and your head is pounding, and you curse your whole existence saying that you are on the wagon again, but then your coworker reminds you of the plans for the weekend, and you say you're not going to drink, but because of all the social pressure you do anyway, and then of course some smart ass has to go and run his mouth, and then the whole f-ing thing begins anew.

eh... C'est la Vie

Meh i fit into most of what the OP said and i dont feel like theres anything wrong with my life. One thing i'll suggest is try out your campus rec. Theres always things to do there and people to meet even if you aren't athletically inclined.

I say depression only can take hold of you if your outlook on life allows it to. I'm probably terribly wrong about that, but hey i took what many people would have called a nosedive not 5 months ago, because of my outlook I made it to today with acne scars, a scraggly beard, and newfound respect for life. Check out my blog down there in my sig i think you might find some inspiration there, at least some people say they have.

Discuss.