Notifications
Clear all

Acne and Staph.

MemberMember
(@decepticonx7)

Posted : 01/17/2008 7:10 am

This really doesn't fit any particular forum, so I'm defaulting to this.

Well, if you live anywhere in the Bay Area by now you've probably heard about yesterday's front-page article detailing the pandemic spread of a deadly strain of staph throughout the city of San Francisco. USA300, as it's known, is actually spreading across the country and the entire first world, but here in San Francisco we have more reported cases than any other city. This form of staph is extremely dangerous, resistant to most forms of antibiotics and with the potential to further mutate into what some doctors fear will be an unstoppable and completely untreatable strain. Full article can be found here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...001&sc=1000

Staph infection is a serious danger, last year it killed nearly 20,000 people (that's more than AIDS), and survivors sometimes must resort to amputing digits or entire limbs (or, in the case of one unfortunate man who wrote the Chronicle with his experience, one of his butt cheeks) to sop the infection from spreading. Needless to say, living in the middle of the hot zone for wrost staph strain ever identified, I'm quite concerned, and on the verge of hypochondria. To make matters worse, those with acne are at greater risk for staph infection, and the early symptoms (red bumps, pus-filled pustules, tenderness or swelling on the skin) are pretty much indistinguishable from acne lesions. The medical community doesn't have much advice to give, except to wash your hands, shower after sex, and, in my case, don't pop your pimples. All good things to bear in mind, but not very helpful or comforting in the face of such an intimidating mortality rate, ease of transmission, and symptoms which, for an acne sufferer, would barely even register as unusual. Anyone have anything to offer, or shall I proceed to break out the Haz-Mat suit that I bought during that SARS scare a few years ago?

MemberMember
(@xicanabear)

Posted : 01/24/2008 2:01 am

wow....this is scary....one more thing to worry about... :(

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 01/24/2008 2:45 am

Not sure about this, but just last night I was reading about honey, & especially manuka honey being good at creating an environment in which it can't grow.

Of course, it could totally just be a marketing gimmick. Worth looking into, maybe.

That story looks suspiciously alarmist. I don't like how they single out gay ppl.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html#2

What does a staph or MRSA infection look like?

Staph bacteria, including MRSA, can cause skin infections that may look like a pimple or boil and can be red, swollen, painful, or have pus or other drainage. More serious infections may cause pneumonia, bloodstream infections, or surgical wound infections.

Are certain people at increased risk for community-associated staph or MRSA infections?

CDC has investigated clusters of CA-MRSA skin infections among athletes, military recruits, children, Pacific Islanders, Alaskan Natives, Native Americans, men who have sex with men, and prisoners.

Factors that have been associated with the spread of MRSA skin infections include: close skin-to-skin contact, openings in the skin such as cuts or abrasions, contaminated items and surfaces, crowded living conditions, and poor hygiene.

How can I prevent staph or MRSA skin infections?

Practice good hygiene:

1. Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

2. Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed.

3. Avoid contact with other peopleiaas wounds or bandages.

4. Avoid sharing personal items such as towels or razors

MemberMember
(@rocketboysf)

Posted : 02/20/2015 10:56 pm

First thank you all for your posts and sharing experiences.
I am constantly developping white pus zits around mouth and chin! I started developing this about a year ago.
Symptoms
---------------
- constant small white pus zits around mouth and chin. dry up in about 2-3 days.
- few more start when one stops!
- red bumps
- redness
- All these symptoms only around nose , mouth and chin. rest of the face is clear!
- constant Dandruff also.
This thing brought me down so much in my life! There are days when i just sit in my room and cry because I have pretty much tried everything under the sun. I am even worried to go meet my sisters kids sad.png Please help share your expertise and what worked for you guys. Please drop a note and i really need your support to keep me motivated to see the light at the end of tunnel.
Is this staph ?? how to treat acne caused by staph ??
thanks!
MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/26/2015 4:46 pm

This really doesn't fit any particular forum, so I'm defaulting to this.

Well, if you live anywhere in the Bay Area by now you've probably heard about yesterday's front-page article detailing the pandemic spread of a deadly strain of staph throughout the city of San Francisco. USA300, as it's known, is actually spreading across the country and the entire first world, but here in San Francisco we have more reported cases than any other city. This form of staph is extremely dangerous, resistant to most forms of antibiotics and with the potential to further mutate into what some doctors fear will be an unstoppable and completely untreatable strain. Full article can be found here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...001&sc=1000

Staph infection is a serious danger, last year it killed nearly 20,000 people (that's more than AIDS), and survivors sometimes must resort to amputing digits or entire limbs (or, in the case of one unfortunate man who wrote the Chronicle with his experience, one of his butt cheeks) to sop the infection from spreading. Needless to say, living in the middle of the hot zone for wrost staph strain ever identified, I'm quite concerned, and on the verge of hypochondria. To make matters worse, those with acne are at greater risk for staph infection, and the early symptoms (red bumps, pus-filled pustules, tenderness or swelling on the skin) are pretty much indistinguishable from acne lesions. The medical community doesn't have much advice to give, except to wash your hands, shower after sex, and, in my case, don't pop your pimples. All good things to bear in mind, but not very helpful or comforting in the face of such an intimidating mortality rate, ease of transmission, and symptoms which, for an acne sufferer, would barely even register as unusual. Anyone have anything to offer, or shall I proceed to break out the Haz-Mat suit that I bought during that SARS scare a few years ago?

Hi -

Not all staph infections are created equal. Various strains of staph live on all of us and coat most of the things we touch. In general, our immune system does a great job of warding off any infection. Staph is really unlikely to pose a problem to people with normal immune systems as long as you maintain hygienic standards. If you use a gym, make sure you clean the equipment with disinfectant before and after each use, use your own towels (And wash them!), wear dflip-flops in the shower, and immediately attend to cuts and scrapes. Clean yourself off after getting out of public pools, etc.

MRSA can be very scary, but to be honest - it's very difficult to pick up outside of a hospital. If you spend a lot of time in the hospital, it's very important that you take precautions. Sanitize your hands before exiting or entering a patient's room, avoid touching anything unecessarily, and cover any scrapes or cuts.

I completely sympathize with being a hypochondriac. I am as well, and no one who knows me really takes me all that seriously when I complain (and most of the time they are right). However, I know my body. If something is wrong, I go to the doctor. I don't wait, I don't ignore it -I just go.