Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maggie G

I had Normal skin before all this

Before all of this started, my skin was NOT this bad. It wasn't flaking off in the morning and then covered in shine by afternoon. It was a normal TEXTURE but it had pimples. even the pimples weren't as bad as they are now. Then I went to the derm. and now I'm here.

I just don't get it...do you think all the products I'm trying are doing this to my skin?! I would gladly trade the skin I had before for what I have now!! I was complaining over NOTHING! But is it too late? Have I messed up my skin forever?!

Before all of this started, my skin was NOT this bad. It wasn't flaking off in the morning and then covered in shine by afternoon. It was a normal TEXTURE but it had pimples. even the pimples weren't as bad as they are now. Then I went to the derm. and now I'm here.

I just don't get it...do you think all the products I'm trying are doing this to my skin?! I would gladly trade the skin I had before for what I have now!! I was complaining over NOTHING! But is it too late? Have I messed up my skin forever?!

What (all) products are you using?

Yes, using lots of products will likely make you break out, part of the battle is trying to achieve balanced skin. Too much of anything will throw your body out of balance. But I guess you kinda have to try different things to find out what works for you. The flaking and excess oil are almost positively a result of overdrying products. But some products that make you flake are good, like benzoil peroxide, but you need to use a lotion to reduce dryness/stop the flaking. If you moisturize, your skin is likely to stop producing as much oil as it is getting the moisture it needs.

Personally I am all about this 10% AHA lotion I've been using. It does sting, and stings worse when applied with BP. And does turn you red, so best to use before bed so your face is back to a normal hue by morning. But it totally stops your skin from flaking, clears up breakouts, stops new ones, shrinks pores, evens skin tone and improves the texture. Not trying to sell anything, I'm just totally in love with the glycolic acid.

Also, my dermatologist failed me. Every topical product that she ever prescribed me made my skin way worse. She never even mentioned things like BP, or AHA, vitamins, body cleansing, etc. etc. Seemed like she was just out to make money for the drug companies.

It wasn't until I quit going to the derm, took matters into my own hands and did lots of research and experimenting that I finally began to get my acne under control.

I totally recommend 10% AHA lotion, and DKR 2.5% BP, though not applied at the same time unless you are really ready for stinging/redness. You haven't "messed up your skin forever", you are just feeling things out! You will find something that works for you!

It's oily because you keep putting harsh chemicals on your skin, drying it out and causing your body to want to produce more sebum (oil) to make up for it. At least that's how I see it - I had 'normal' skin before this and now mine is always slick with oil and shiny. I wish I had never found this website, personally. BP is shit imo. It drys me out, caused me to have wrinkles at 18 years old and left horrible red spots all over my face.

It's oily because you keep putting harsh chemicals on your skin, drying it out and causing your body to want to produce more sebum (oil) to make up for it. At least that's how I see it - I had 'normal' skin before this and now mine is always slick with oil and shiny. I wish I had never found this website, personally. BP is shit imo. It drys me out, caused me to have wrinkles at 18 years old and left horrible red spots all over my face.

yeah I kind of wish I had never found this site either. it's caused me to become more obsessed with my acne and go crazy over "regimens" and blablabla. When probably if I hadn't freaked out in the beginning, and just kept doing what I'd been doing for like 2 years that kept me clear, it would have just gone away on its own. URGGGHhh