Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steele927

The Regimen and Birth Control

Hi everyone!

I'm a 23 year old female new to the blog forum but have been using DK Regimen for about 2 1/2 months with great results. I've had acne for about 10 years and been on birth control for about 8 years to counteract the acne. Although the birth control has lessened the degree of acne I have, I still have mild to severe acne. I've used Proactiv, Benzoyl Peroxide, Tazorac, minocycline, tetracylcline, and differen....all with limited results. When I was 18 I stopped using birth control for about 5 months and had cystic acne on my face, chest, and back. I started again with birth control and the birth control cleared up my chest and back acne.

I'm hoping to stop birth control at this point because I'm only using it for my skin. Has anyone used the Regimen to counteract the hormonal imbalance after birth control? Has anyone been successful? I'm thinking of stopping the birth control in the next week but I am looking for some feedback as well.

Thanks!

I was on birth control pills when I started the regimen, and I successfully came off of it while on the regimen without my skin flipping out. One of the reasons I started the regimen was because BCPs had not been helping with my acne very much, though, and it sounds like your acne might be more hormonal in nature than mine. If you're only doing the regimen on your face, too, you might have some body acne return after stopping BCPs. It's really hard to say exactly what will happen, since after all, it has been five years since you last stopped using BCP, and your hormones may have settled down somewhat since then. If you decide to go off the pill and your acne does come back cystic and using more BP doesn't help much, then accutane might be an option for you (though with IPLEDGE you'd have to get right back on the pill :().

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to go ahead with it because I'd rather figure out how to deal with my acne without birth control. I want to have kids some day and I just don't think staying on birth control for the wrong reasons will help. The birth control has controlled parts of the acne but it hasn't cleared me up at all. Did you have cystic acne at all or were you just mild to moderate? Did you take Accutane?

thanks again