Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bilo

Is animal fat good for you?

Well, is animal good or bad for you? Ive seen some sources which say that it is bad and others which say it is good.

More specifically My family just bought a whole smoked pork leg from spain, proscicttio I believe. Anyway it's really fatty and i was wondering it i should eat it or avoid it?

I believe the fat of animals not raised on their natural diet is unhealthy. Animals eating a natural diet and raised humanely, yes, I think our bodies thrive on those fats.

I believe our bodies need some animal fat to function properly. However, too much animal fat (which is saturated fat) can raise the risk of clogged arteries, high cholesterol and heart attacks later in life. So, you don't want to eat lots of animal fats in your diet. Unsaturated fats from things like olive oil, nuts, etc. is what is considered to be the more "healthy" fats. Unsaturated fats are high in calories, but don't have the effects on your arteries and cholesterol like saturated fats do.

I believe our bodies need some animal fat to function properly. However, too much animal fat (which is saturated fat) can raise the risk of clogged arteries, high cholesterol and heart attacks later in life. So, you don't want to eat lots of animal fats in your diet. Unsaturated fats from things like olive oil, nuts, etc. is what is considered to be the more "healthy" fats. Unsaturated fats are high in calories, but don't have the effects on your arteries and cholesterol like saturated fats do.

Actually, anylsis of arterial plaques in autopsies of heart attack victims found the main composition to be of polyunsaturated fat, not saturated fat. If you do use an unsaturated fat, use monounsaturated fat, mostly found in Olive oil. I tend to avoid most vegetable oils because they're usually dominantly polyunsaturated, olive oil being the most common exception. Besides, if you think about it, eating high amount of vegetable oil is extremely unnatural. It usually takes acres of plant material to produce a gallon of vegetable oil. It's physically impossible to sit down and eat enough vegetation to get the amount of vegetables oils we consume now in the western diet. That suggests to me that it triggers a somewhat unnatural state in the body.

Omega-6 fatty acids are also polyunsaturated, and meat is high in that.

I'm pretty sure that I've read in recent studies that saturated fat raises cholesterol, though.

On the other hand, a big portion of heart attack patients have normal cholesterol levels.

lol, I was having a brain glitch yesterday - you guys stated what I was trying to say so much more eloquently - good job!

Interesting topic, I think Glein is right and there's a whole mistaken dogma that saturated animal fats are bad for you. Its like the fat makes you fat myth... WRONG =)

I think that we ate a lot of meat while we we're hunter-gatherers and many traditional tribes still do and have no heart diseases. We thrive on meat! From wild animals, or at least grass fed animals, which have a totally different composition than the mass bred grain fed animals we eat now.

Omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats, and they are basically accepted as the best fats out there.

Interesting topic, I think Glein is right and there's a whole mistaken dogma that saturated animal fats are bad for you. Its like the fat makes you fat myth... WRONG =)

I think that we ate a lot of meat while we we're hunter-gatherers and many traditional tribes still do and have no heart diseases. We thrive on meat! From wild animals, or at least grass fed animals, which have a totally different composition than the mass bred grain fed animals we eat now.

Omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats, and they are basically accepted as the best fats out there.

omega 3 is super polyunsaturated actually... so super unstable as well

Hmm, I still think organic, grass fed meat is the best. It has more omega 3 (maybe not as much more as we thought), better meat (no stress meat), no artificial additives, no or less hormones, no or less anti biotics... and the animals arent fed genetic modificated soy..