Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutya

Weird allergic reaction to new makeup - ideas?

I generally have VERY tough skin - it does not react to things easily. I have used 10% BP, 2% SA, 10% AHA and prescription RA all without any adverse reactions. I do, however, have pretty bad environmental allergies. I take prescription medicine year round and am currently doing a second round of allergy shots. So...who knows.

Today I tried three new products: EM Tinted Silk Dust, Laura Geller's EyeStay and MUFE Pearly Waterproof Eyeshadow Pencil. Within a few minutes of applying my makeup, the skin around my left eye started to itch. About ten minutes later I started developing hives down my left arm. I quickly took benadryl and washed everything off my face.

My guess is that it was the MUFE Pencil because I was using it for the inside corners of my eyes but on the left side, I pulled down my lid and touched it to the *inside* to see if I could line that but gave up quickly. That's the only reason that I can think of that I would have been affected only on my left side. What do you guys think, possibility?

Here are the ingredients to the products. I looked them up and didn't see anything glaring but I don't really know what I could potentially be sensitive to.

Tinted Silk Dust:

Pure Silk powder, Black Currant Powder

LG Eyestay:

Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, VP/Hexadecane Copolymer, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate.[+/- (May Contain): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Carmine (CI 75470), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742)].

MUFE Pencil:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Paraffin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Propylene Clycol Dicaprylate, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Cetyl Acetate, Peg-6 Beeswax, Polybutene, Ozokerite, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Nylon-12, Ceresin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Polyethylene, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [+/- (May Contain): Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Talc, Calcium sodium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Synthetic Flourphlogopite, Silica].

Was your left arm bare and under your face when you put any of the powder on?

I am wondering if it was something that touched your face and also fell on your arm?

If you used your right hand to apply powder, maybe this could be the scenario.

I know it seems like the silk dust is the least likely of the 3 culprits, but it seems like the left arm would have to have direct contact with the allergen to have such a response.

Are there ANY ingredients in the 3 items that are not in any of the products you usually use?

You could do a patch test on the inside of your forearm (or upper arm) of all 3 things. I would maybe try one at a time and wait 24 hours between tests to see.

Good luck. I hate allergies, I have them too. Like you I have tough skin that tolerates AHA & BHA products really well, as well as retinols. I can't use BP, but most of my skin irritations from allergies are not products but animals or environmental. It sucks to get red itchy patches and stuff for no known reason.

Wow, I never would have thought of that...I think I did have short sleeves on when I did my makeup. I'll try the skin test like you suggested. If nothing reacts, I wonder if I should try to repeat the pencil on my inner lid again to see if that's what caused it. I still can return the pencil to Sephora so I really want to know for sure, if possible.

Guess what? I'm allergic to silk! I tried the silk dust again last night and got the hives again. And then I remember something that made it all come together. As a teenager, I tried to wear an outfit of my mom's that was made out of raw silk and I got hives from it. I had totally forgotten about it. So, I guess that solves it. Has anyone ever heard of a silk allergy?

Wow, Lutya, you poor thing! (I just responded in that other thread where you mentioned the silk reaction, too.) I am unfortunately extremely familiar with hives. I spent most of 2004 - 2005 battling them. They'd come on at the drop of a hat. I lived on Benadryl for a year or more. Unfortunately, we really never traced mine down to any particular trigger - but I have found that I do have allergies which were before undiagnosed (all my life). I suspect mine are triggered when my body is already overwhelmed with an allergic response, and then something else comes up to trigger me and my bod just freaks out with hives. Dang things. I'd get huge ones once in a while, the size of a saucer, on my stomach. Bleah. The worst was getting hives on my face though - cuz there isn't much room under the skin - and I'd swell up like someone hit me. So my sympathies. I don't have an answer, but hives are very tricky to figure out. The trigger isn't always obvious, or immediate. SOmetimes stress can make them worse, too. As if there isn't enough to worry about, huh? Hang in there!

PPS: Just in case you miss my note in the other thread, EM's silk powder contains black current. It might be possible the black current could be to blame. Although since you said your mom's blouse gets you - it seems sadly that the silk might be guilty. You poor thing. :(

Thank you! Yes, allergies are awful. Unlike many people, I grew INTO my allergies, developing them quite suddenly at the age of 18.

Now to keep searching for a base/finishing powder to use with my EM...

While I was googling silk allergies, I found a makeup forum where there was a discussion about silk powder. One of the women mentioned using silica Ronaspheres (INSTEAD of silk). Said something about it (silica r) being nice for a primer. You can see the discussion here ...

http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/t56893/si...er-2-56893.html

I've never tried it. I don't know the people on that discussion forum, but hey, I know what its like to be trying to find a solution you can live with, so I'll throw it out there. I have total sympathy for anyone whose ever battled hives.

PS: Slightly off topic, but you might want to read labels when you buy shampoo and conditioner, I know some contain silk protein etc.