Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pouringRAINA

What's the difference?

What is the difference between cysts, nodules and whiteheads?

I thought it was all the same before I was reading the personal logs,

and now I have no idea what people mean when they describe their acne with these words.

okay a cyst is a type of blemish that forms very deep in the skin. it often forms a red lump on your skin that eventually fills with dead skin cells. it may be hard or fill with a puss like substance and blood. you're better off not playing with them as they can leave red marks and scars. derms often suggest antibiotics, accutane or topicals for this type of acne.

a nodule is more like a formation of skin that doesn't contain anything inside. they're often very hard formations of skin. derms suggest antibiotics, accutane or topicals for this type of acne.

a white head forms when dead skin cells can't reach the service and then white blood cells combine to make the puss filled blemish look white that's why it's called a white head. most of the time an antibiotic and good topical can get these under control.

if you want to find out more go to the acne explained column. it defies exactly what each type is.

hope this helps.

Yes i was also confused with this aswell until i started geting them lol

Cysts look like mad blisters on ur face and are about a cm insize they are very deep within the layers of the skin and almost always cause scaring.

nodules are not a bad as cyst they are almost like hard red balls that are on your face and setle down over time may leave scaring or strange red mark as i suffer from.

whiteheads are your typical pimple dont sqeeze ma cause infections and scaring they look like a little volcano with a ball of white stuff blocking it.

when people describe there acne as cystic they can sometime mean nodular as well yet these forums separate the two cyst and nodules re similar yet in my opinion cyst are way worse and should be treated with TANE immediately nodules arnt as bad they are like harder whiteheads without the head lolz.