Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lately Ive been pretty down after having a bad breakout probably thanx to eating and drinking so much crap during the festive season, and this is after being clear for a few months. So it got me thinking of the days when my acne was really severe and people would make comments and suggestions of how I could improve on my acne and stuff. Whenever that happened i would feel totally down about and take offense to it thinking that person is a senseless asshole..However if I had any other sort of disease or sickness, bronchitis, flu, diabetes and that sort of thing im sure I would just wanna hear them out and not think anything of it.

So isnt the only thing that separates these sort of illnesses from acne is an issue of vanity? I know there are people that make nasty comments with the intention of being mean but other times when its just a neutral comment or suggestion we take offense. People are ignorant and its the same myths that we've all heard over time that make them give such crappy advice. Then there are those assholes who aren't trina help but just embarrass you.

If you had the flu and someone came to you at work or at school and said 'man your flu seems to be getting worse every day, what u taking for it?', we would have no problem hearing that but if someone said the same about acne id probably wanna smack them.. and yes i know acne and the flu are 2 totally different things but what mainly separates them into something we get offended over and something we don't get offended over is that flu doesn't affect vanity and acne does. When it comes to our appearance i think we can get offended really easily even when someone is being sincere about it. I think our own vanity issues can really change how we see a person who is genuinely concerned and helpful and turn them into an insensitive idiot, which is pretty sad when i consider all the people who I've been pissed of with for those reasons.

So is it us that should change to be accepting of the issue or should outsiders just back off with any acne talk?

I dunno why appearance is more personal than other things, perhaps because

you create your own image. If you get sick you didn't do it on purpose, but

what you wear and how you style your hair is your own choice. And, of course,

acne isn't a choice but a lot of people can lump it in with other superficial things.

Interesting though :think: I've always been easily frustrated by comments on

my appearance, I feel that unless it's a compliment it's none of their business to

critique me or anyone else. I dunno, that's just me.

So isnt the only thing that separates these sort of illnesses from acne is an issue of vanity? I know there are people that make nasty comments with the intention of being mean but other times when its just a neutral comment or suggestion we take offense. People are ignorant and its the same myths that we've all heard over time that make them give such crappy advice. Then there are those assholes who aren't trina help but just embarrass you.

If you had the flu and someone came to you at work or at school and said 'man your flu seems to be getting worse every day, what u taking for it?', we would have no problem hearing that but if someone said the same about acne id probably wanna smack them.. and yes i know acne and the flu are 2 totally different things but what mainly separates them into something we get offended over and something we don't get offended over is that flu doesn't affect vanity and acne does. When it comes to our appearance i think we can get offended really easily even when someone is being sincere about it. I think our own vanity issues can really change how we see a person who is genuinely concerned and helpful and turn them into an insensitive idiot, which is pretty sad when i consider all the people who I've been pissed of with for those reasons.

My family members would make comments all the time. Just within the last year my brother suggested that I try washing my face at night...what a revelation.

Sincere or not, any person that thinks their comment is going to present something new pisses me off due to their presumption. That being that they know more about the issue because they've seen a 5 minutes pro-active commercial than I do after 10 years and thousands of dollars of treatment. Whenever somebody "suggests" something to me, I feel that they must believe the myths about acne resulting from bad hygiene. What goes with bad hygiene? Laziness. After all, I must be lazy if my face looks like this.

I believe that people who really understand the beast that acne is wouldn't make suggestions. So, why would somebody who doesn't understand something make a suggestion? That's the main source of aggravation for me. Not that I throw fists when it happens. At this point if I wasn't used to it, it would be indicative of a deeper problem. That doesn't mean I don't make a mental note that the person in question is likely to be a douche.

Yes, acne its a fucking pain...My brother have it when was a teenager, my sister never.

My brother never made a critic about my adult acne. My sister always make me feel bad about it...Whatever...

yeah i do the same i hate people talking about it, however i guess for them to talk about it especially people close to use they wouldn't want to offend us.

It gets us down when people talk to us about it because that means its noticable in public and that's what people are thinking about us and what they are seeing when they look at us.

they are trying to help but its insensetive also imo but as i said hey theyre only tryna help!

each bit of advice leads us 1 step closer to sucess so we should take it on board

also imo 1 bit of advice on this forum could lead us 10 steps backwards, imo be careful what you read on here a bit off point but you know it's crazy this place needs better advice!!

a lot of people are insensitive and/or ignorant. they're going to comment on things that aren't socially accepted or misunderstood. it's not your fault.

fuck them.

When you suffer with acne the last thing you want to be talking about/thinking about is the acne itself. For me its like some immediate reponse triggered by acne talk that makes me suddenly very irritated and very anti at a person when they dare to mention it.

I've had so many occasions of people either mentioning acne or trying to provide solutions. Little kids especially, i've had a few instances where little kids have thought I had chicken pox or some sort of disease. Overhearing a person in my class talk about how they airbrushed the face of another girl and she looks 'way better', even having to study an article on 'eruptions of the skin' in English proved a particularly hard task. I find it increasingly difficult to overhear and to talk about anything relating to skin, because it makes me feel so, so bad and uncomfortable inside. Even if that isn't the other person's intention, I still can't help but feel some contempt at their complete lack of sensitivity.

My face is something I am so paranoid about, and the most heartbreaking thing is there is no way of covering up. If I had acne on my stomach, on my feet or on my legs I could wear clothes to cover them up, but your face is always out in the open, and is always viewed by people.

Although I don't want people to make exceptions and start avoiding topics that could potentially offend me, or start avoiding me to prevent upsetting me, I still can't help but feel annoyed when "acne talk" does crop up.