Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-lxl-

weird moisturizing issue...

so i ran out of Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion Night version, which i love becuz its very light and kept my flakes at bay (not completely)

ive been using Lac-hydrin day AND night for past 4 days...

the weird thing i find about it is that back when i used NHSFL at night, i had some occasional flaky dry spots in the morning when i put of Lac-Hydrin...

nowadays when i put it twice a day, i have less flaky spots, but my skin is slightly rougher

im confused... i thought that NHSFL would be better job at keeping flakes away (since it has higher % of AHA), but using Lac-hydrin twice a day kept flakes away a bit better

any explanation or comments? im confused!

Perhaps the LHF just suits your skin better since it is milder. And the formulation of LHF is more moisturizing, imo, than NHSFL.

well dats interesting input

but my skin feels rougher for some reason... and i recently found out that Lac-Hydrin has pretty bad smell that i didnt realize earlier so...

probably have no choice but to go bak to NHSFL

thanks for the thought Brandy :)

What I've read before is that AHA moisturizers with less AHA and slightly higher pHs tend to actually help the skin retain moisture better than AHA moisturizers with lower pHs, but the stronger AHA moisturizers with lower pHs do more exfoliating than weaker formulations. As such, I'd expect Lac Hydrin 5 to do a better job at moisturizing and keeping flaking at bay than NHSFL but not so good a job at fading red marks and making your skin look fresh and smooth as NHSFL. Alternating them, like you were doing before, might be a good way to get the best effects of both.

What I've read before is that AHA moisturizers with less AHA and slightly higher pHs tend to actually help the skin retain moisture better than AHA moisturizers with lower pHs, but the stronger AHA moisturizers with lower pHs do more exfoliating than weaker formulations. As such, I'd expect Lac Hydrin 5 to do a better job at moisturizing and keeping flaking at bay than NHSFL but not so good a job at fading red marks and making your skin look fresh and smooth as NHSFL. Alternating them, like you were doing before, might be a good way to get the best effects of both.

Could you grab another higher percentage AHA moisturizer in a pinch from the drugstore? Like regular NHSFL, Alpha Hydrox, or Aqua Glycolic (I dunno about the cream, though)?

In my experience, the yummy, yummy LH5 smell fades fairly quickly. Maybe in an hour. I use it as a face and body lotion, so it's . . . uh . . . noticeable.

Could you grab another higher percentage AHA moisturizer in a pinch from the drugstore? Like regular NHSFL, Alpha Hydrox, or Aqua Glycolic (I dunno about the cream, though)?

In my experience, the yummy, yummy LH5 smell fades fairly quickly. Maybe in an hour. I use it as a face and body lotion, so it's . . . uh . . . noticeable.