Mirena IUC and acne...

Notifications
Clear all

Mirena IUC and acne?

MemberMember
(@fisker731)

Posted : 12/27/2007 11:53 am

I started using a type of birth control called Mirena, an IUC, about six months ago. Although I've always had issues with acne, I couldn't help but notice that my skin has gotten significantly worse since I started using the IUC. I started using Dan's regimine about a month and a half ago, and nothing has changed. I have huge cysts on my chin and forehead, and smaller pimples on my cheeks. Has anyone else seen an increase in acne after using Mirena? Will it ever subside? Any tips on how to treat my acne? I really like Mirena and don't want to switch my method of birth control if I can get my skin under control.

MemberMember
(@jennababe)

Posted : 12/28/2007 3:04 pm

It could be the hormones in it. Just like BC pills, some people can't tolerate the hormones. I've been on many different pills, and have finally found the right hormone combination for my body. It just is unfortunate that IUC's aren't like that- they don't make different kinds, so if your body doesn't like the hormones in the Mirena, there's no other hormone combination you can try. You could, however, try the Paraguard IUD, which contains no hormones if you decide that you want and IUD/IUC but can't tolerate the hormones.

MemberMember
(@mommajen)

Posted : 12/28/2007 4:29 pm

I had the Mirena IUD for almost 2 years after having my daughter. While nursing my acne was okay but once I stopped it was horrible. I had large cystic acne especially around my jawline that wouldn't go away. I eventually just decided to get it out. On their own website they say something about it increasing acne in people who are already prone to it. If you search around the internet you'll see a lot of posts about this I have two cousins who had mirena as well and also had a great increase in acne. I eventually decided I'd had enough and got it taken out. My acne is not as bad but it is still definately here. One of my cousins got hers out too and had her acne clear up. It is an easy form of bc but that depends if you can handle the increased acne. For me it wasn't worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do !!!

Jenny

MemberMember
(@jenstar)

Posted : 01/02/2008 5:37 pm

I didn't notice it affecting my acne but after about a year I started developing recurrent thrush. I had 8 bouts within 5 months. I got it taken out and haven't had thrush since. When the doctor removed it, he showed it to me and it was covered in blood and mucus (sorry to be gross) - he believed in my case it was definitely causing the thrush as normally they come out clean.

MemberMember
(@melanieg1028)

Posted : 01/10/2008 4:47 pm

Hi

I am 31 years old and after I had my kids I decided to get the Mirena IUD 2 years ago bc I was afraid that I would forget to take the BC pills and did not want to get pregnant again. Before I had my kids I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen (the regular version) and had beautiful skin ( I received compliments all the time and had very few breakouts, god I miss those days)

Although I love the IUD bc I have not had a period in over 1 year the last two years I have had constant breakouts month after month mainly in my Tzone area and the last 6 months it has gotten worse- to the point of not wanting to show my face at work, not wanting to take my kids places especially to the swimming pool (that is the worse)- it has made me more depressed than I have been in a long time

The other day it finally came to me after finding this wonderful website that I more than likely am suffering from hormonal acne so I went in and saw my OBGYN. That made sense to me that is why nothing topical was working (I have tried everything bc something on the inside is messed up)

He agreed with me that I am definitely suffering from hormonal acne so he prescribed the Vivedelle Estrogen Patch bc the Mirena IUD is estrogen free and estrogen and progestrine help regulate how much oil you produce

I have been on the patch for about 2 weeks now and the 1st week it broke out pretty badly again especially on my forehead but it is clearing up now luckily. But bc of this website I saw some people talking about Nature's Cure pills available at any drugstore in the acne aisle and the luck they had with it to clear up stuff on the inside of your body and it claims to be completely safe. The patch was starting to give me headaches and made my breasts very tender so I figured I would give it a shot- you take one pill morning and at night and the pills are pretty cheap for a 30 day supply. Check out [Removed] to read more info

I also decided to try a new cleanser Purpose bc it is the most gentle stuff available on the market and doesn't clog pores. I had been using Neutrogen Oil Free Acne wash that contains the saliycic acid but the other day it hit me do I really want to use acid every day on my face bc my face is so dry especially during the winter time.

I figure I can always go back to the patch if the pills don't work but I would rather take something that is safe than risk using something that may cause uterine cancer.

With 100% certainity believe the IUD triggers adult breakouts....I am not willing to part with it bc I am extremely fertile and don't want to get pregnant but at least there are some options out there that I wanted to share with you guys... I have learned so much from this website, I am completely hooked and can sympathize what you are going thru trust me- Acne is a disease and I wish someone would find a cure soon. It makes me cringe every time I think about it which I do every single day. Here I am at work thinking about it again!

Good Luck everyone! I will write back in 30 days on my progress with the Nature's Cure pills and let you know if it is working. I am saying my prayers it will!

Melanie

MemberMember
(@ladylol)

Posted : 01/10/2008 6:38 pm

I have found that all homonal BC messes with my skin...

Has anyone with acne-prone issues tried Paraguard (the copper IUD)?? I am highly interested but nervous that this one 'might' indirectly cause hormone issues (as opposed to hormonal BC which directly affects your hormones).

The copper IUD works by creating an inflammatory response which causes you to secrete prostaglandins and leukocytes which are hostile to sperm, egg, etc... My question: Does this inflammatory response have an effect on other inflammatory problems (ie. acne!!)???

MemberMember
(@momiji_girl)

Posted : 01/12/2008 6:17 am

I've had a copper IUD for 4 years now. I really, really don't think it has done anything to my skin at all. I did have it put in before adult-onset acne but I can't see it playing any role in my developing acne after 30.

The inflammatory response has for me meant breakthrough bleeding and different menstrual cramps, and no babies, but that's it.

MemberMember
(@klousmomi)

Posted : 12/13/2008 3:55 pm

I also have the Mirena IUD noticed ALOT more acne than I had before. I used to get a pimple here and there but nothing to be concerned about. Now I have them all over my chin and forehead, huge ones! I hav tried Differin Gel and now my derm wants me to go on accutane but I am affraid that will ruin the affectiveness of my IUD. Anyone have any advise? I have tried all over the counter meds and Differin and now I'm just stuck and miserable.

MemberMember
(@titosmommy)

Posted : 12/16/2008 9:25 pm

Dont know about accutane and Paraguard but I am sure glad that I took out the Mirena. It was causing me to have worse acne (cysts - hormonal). I am in the process of clearing up the damage it caused for 3 years. Its just not worth it. I had the doctor take out the mirena in the beginning of december and put in the paraguard. so far no new breakouts with the copper. your acne will get worse on the mirena, mine did and i didnt know why for years!

MemberMember
(@gigia555)

Posted : 02/26/2009 3:22 pm

hi,

i am suffering from a similar situation at the moment as i started the mirena about 6 months ago, and have now developed quite bad acne... but i still don't want to remove the mirena as i am very happy with it other than the acne part. so i was just wondering if the 'nature cure' pills that you took had any effect?

thanks!!

MemberMember
(@bokkie)

Posted : 02/27/2009 10:52 am

Gigia, Ive got an appointment on Monday to have mine removed, Ill keep you posted on my progress, hopefully full recovery...

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@acnetroubles50158)

Posted : 04/02/2009 12:43 pm

I have used Mirena for about 2 years now and yes a lot of problems with acne have emerged. I have tried Proactive with no success just dried out skin but the one cleaner i have found is Acnexus all natural no chemicals and wow the results where great and its easy on the wallet. Proactive makes you automatically renew , Acnexus doesnt, great stuff and only 1 step, proactive three or four. I have had the cysts too and the breakout on my cheeks where i didnt before so try this one if you dont want to remove your Mirena or cant.

MemberMember
(@vpm)

Posted : 04/02/2009 2:15 pm

I have had the mirena for a month and am getting it removed tomorrow. I haven't had skin trouble (yet), but I hate it. I am tired all the time and all sorts of other problems. I am pissed because I wanted the copper one and all the docs convinced me the hormones in mirena would only effect the tissue about an inch on all sides of it - totally wrong!

I have all sorts if crazy symptoms, except the ones I was told I might get like cramping.

I asked a lot of questions about the hormones too because I was worried about my skin, so I am pretty pissed that NONE of my symptoms were mentioned at all.

MemberMember
(@harmonyv)

Posted : 04/17/2009 3:33 pm

I just wanted to add my experience and warn people about Mirena and acne. I have battled acne since I was 10 years old (I'm now in my early 30's) and after using Accutane twice and sticking to a strict daily routine of acne products, I've been mostly clear the last few years. That was until I got a Mirena IUD. Within a week of putting it in, I started getting terrible, huge breakouts, and they were getting increasingly worse in the next couple of months, to the point where I was getting scared that I would have to go in for a third round of Accutane. On a hunch, I looked up Mirena and acne, and found a lot of people having the same issues. I talked to my doctor about it, and they assured me that the hormones in Mirena could not leave the uterus. I made them take it out anyway, and my skin cleared right up. During that same time, my sister had terrible acne, the worst in her life (and it was a battle for decades for her also) and went onto Accutane, which wasn't even working for her on the highest dosage they could give her. She had the Mirena in for a year by the time I had mine taken out and my skin cleared up so quickly, so I convinced her to take her Mirena out also. Her skin also cleared right up, and has been clear since, but the really sad thing is that one year on Mirena has permanently scarred her face. If anyone gets acne with Mirena, have it taken out, it does not get better until you take it out, and it's not worth ruining your face over, try a different method of birth control. Also, I never got acne from any of the many birth control pills I used, and I also didn't get acne while I was pregnant, so I think that the hormones in Mirena do affect some people really differently than other hormonal forms of birth control, and even the hormones of pregnancy.

MemberMember
(@22jayjay)

Posted : 04/18/2009 1:12 am

I'm all teary eyed reading these posts, finally finding people who know what I am going through! Mirena is terrific BC, but SOOOO horrible for my face. I first had acne at age 17 when I started college (u know the drill -- gained 15 pounds, high stress, little sleep.) My face saw slight improvement with Proactive in my late 20s, but not as much as I wanted. Almost clear skin during pregnancy and breastfeeding during my 30s. But those days don't last forever and the acne came back. At age 38 I went on a very low-cal diet to lose a few post-baby pounds. After about a month I realized I wasn't breaking out. But I couldn't stay on a super low-cal diet forever. I started eating normally when I reached my weight goal, and the acne came back. I got Mirena at age 41 and my Tzone exploded -- worse than ever. I tried the low-cal diet again, but it hasn't made a smidge of difference. I started Nature's Cure am/pm pill thing. Weeks 2-3 I saw a difference, but it was short lived. Weeks 4-6 have been just as bad as ever, if not worse. After reading this thread tonight, I think Mirena needs to go. Seriously people, it's been 24 years. My head is spinning from all the attempts and false hopes. I hope this isn't another one. But, I'm the eternal optimist, so my plan is:

• DH to get a snip snip V, so I can get rid of Mirena.
  • I will go back on the low glycemic, low cal diet
  • I will try the Regimen.

I'm too old for this!!!

MemberMember
(@tiffany-m)

Posted : 10/21/2010 9:57 pm

Mirena is a progestin form of birth control. Progestin is an androgen, and when the body has excess androgens, they are converted to DHT (a form of testosterone). This hormone is known to cause breakouts, and that's why people experience acne while on Mirena.

My dermatologist also told me that women become more sensitive to androgens as we age, which is why adult acne becomes problematic and some women get (gasp) facial hair.

ANYhow...after a 3 month course of doxycycline and Retin A, she added spironolactone to my regimen. Spironolactone works by inhibiting testosterone, and I've certainly seen a major improvement, while still on Mirena. The cost of my prescriptions comes to $30 / month, tax free on my HSA. Much better than Proactiv!

MemberMember
(@eamommy)

Posted : 03/14/2011 4:47 am

Dermatologist visit (1st time ever in my life) prompted me to further research Mirena side effects. He put me on a regiment of spironolactone and azelex however he was honest to say that this regiment may be fighting a loosing battle with the mirena. He also said that based on the amount of discoloration and scarring to my face, I would still need the regiment for a couple of months. When I left his office two weeks ago, I was still convinced that I just had to keep my IUD because we were not ready for another child. I don't like having to keep up with the pill and side affects for other methods turned me off.

Anyway, after seeing how much acne this mirena causes and the many other side affects I may be experiencing, I am making an appt today for removal. (random abdominal pain, daily lower back pain, brain fogginess, mood changes, anxiety, etc.). I realize that it is not with it to keep throwing my body out of whack with these hormones however small they are. I hope to post a few weeks after removal how well I am doing.

MemberMember
(@shanterrtey)

Posted : 04/27/2011 10:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was searching for some information on mirena and acne and ran across this site. I have been having these horrible bumps (lumps) on my face.

Well after my son (he just turned 3) I went on yasmin. Before then I always had nice skin, only got one or two pimples here or there. When I started yasmin I started having a lot of breakouts. I didn't realized that it was the yasmin that was causing it. I decided to go on Mirena and my experience so far has not been good (had it inserted in October). I had horrible cramps and months of bleeding from October to January and then again from February to March. My face has been breaking out worse. Cysts all over my jaw line, on my cheeks and even on my nose (hurt so bad). I had some smaller bumps all around my mouth and my forehead. I tried to squezze them (something I don't usually do but could not help myself this time) and now my face looks horrible. I have so many spots its ridiculous. I've decide to go see a dermatologist and I'm hoping he could find something to help me. I like Mirena (not the side effects) and I dont want to have to take it out.

MemberMember
(@jarchi)

Posted : 04/27/2011 11:18 pm

I've had the mirena for a year now. It did not change my skin. My skin is now clearing up through holistic methods. Hopefully you can find a way to keep the mirena and help your skin. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@creativebeth)

Posted : 04/30/2011 4:02 pm

I had the Paraguard for 10 months last year and while it didn't seem to make any difference with my acne, it caused me to have 12-14 days of heavy bleeding every 28 days. I am still battling iron deficiency anemia 6 months after having it removed. My dermatologist said I made the right choice as far as acne was concerned; that he's seen a lot of patients' acne get worse on the Mirena. Needless to say I'm just not an IUD fan! I tried bcp a couple of times in the past and both times was only on them for two months because my acne just exploded and I started passing huge blood clots. Apparently the only form of bc I can use is lambskin condoms. I seem to have a mild latex allergy. You would think there would be better barrier methods by now.

MemberMember
(@anabella001)

Posted : 05/20/2011 12:37 am

I decided to get the Mirena IUD inserted about a year ago primarily for contraception and because I hoped that it would settle the spots and hormones altogether. I also travelled a lot last year and didn't want to be worrying about the pill, periods, pads and tampons in different countries and time zones. However, it dramatically worsened my skin and I broke out with cystic acne really badly on my chin, temple, nose and cheeks. Some lumps remained huge and blind on my face for 6 months - despite being kept clean and left alone with a smear of Benzac 2.5%. Just as some bits looked like they were going away new cysts would spring up in an old location. I always protect my skin with SPF30 products (sunscreen, powder and foundation) but despite this I've developed large hormonal pigmentation/blotches on my cheeks as well over the year.

I've just turned 39. For most of my life I've been lucky to have beautiful skin up until the age of 35 when I went through a stressful hormonal episode which I managed to get on top of it within a year. Since then I've been prone to occasional tiny spots and perhaps the odd small acne cyst once or twice a year.

I've seen my doctor twice this year and we were monitoring the progress using Aldactone 25mg but there wasn't any improvement. He suspected that Mirena was the culprit. Yesterday I finally saw a dermatologist who also agreed that it must come out asap and strongly suggested I go on a course of Roaccutane for 6 months - which made me burst into tears. I couldn't believe that it had come to this. Having heard the experiences of friends who have been on it during their early adult life it is certainly something I find extremely upsetting to contemplate using. But what can I do, I am desperate and in despair. My skin has been badly scarred already... I need it to stop.

Is there any hope that after the 6 months it won't come back, and what is the likelihood that the medication will have caused other side effects that I will have to now spend time and money managing? Am I swapping one problem for another...

Today I was lucky enough to get an appointment with my gynaecologist and had it removed and I can't tell you how relieved I feel. Hopefully my healing starts now. For those of you contemplating removal because of similar experiences to mine and the other ladies in this forum, do not hesitate... just do it. I was going to do this 6 months ago. I wish I did. My skin only seemed to get worse as the months progressed...and I noticed since Feb that my period was changing - I was getting a few days of consecutive spotting every 2 weeks during which time my skin would flare.

Removal of the Mirena was slightly more uncomfortable than having a pap smear but it was very very quick. I had the option of going under to have it removed (as I did to have it inserted) but it's an unnecessary additional expense and I'm happy to have saved the money.

I've been prescribed Yaz today - a very low dose pill which is supposed to be better than anything else I've tried in the past few years ie. Dianne35, Yasmine etc. You take 25 active pills and 3 sugar pills because it's such a low dose. In the hope of regulating my body quickly and minimising any of the side effects of the Mirena removal I am going to start taking it tonight. I will also start taking doxycycline to try and get the infection of the acne down together with topical cream EpiDuo. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes. Ideally I won't have to use Roaccutane (i would like to try for a baby this year - another thing strictly prohibited for at least a month on either side of taking it).

In essence, here's my solution plan having removed the Mirena today:

1) take Yaz

2) take Doxycycline

3) use EpiDuo

4) see dermatologist in a month to discuss results and whether I still need to take Roaccutane...or if I can be prescribed something else.

I hope what I've written is useful for someone. I will try to write a progress report in a month or two to see how I am faring sans Mirena.

MemberMember
(@chiefswife)

Posted : 05/24/2011 11:31 pm

Wow Annabella001....

Our stories are similar. I had my Mirena 2.5 plus years and the last 6 months have been absurd with breakouts. I took Accutane in my teens and it REALLY was amazing.....I had a 20 year run of good skin. A pimple here or there....but skin that I didnt really worry too much about. Then 6 months ago...at age 38....after 3 glowing skin pregnancies, things got bad. I have been breaking out BADLY on the chin, left temple and between the eyes. I went on antibiotics 2 months....not much help. Now I have crazy amounts of whiteheads and larger blemishes in these areas. What the heck happened? I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and it's been a horrible dream. I just had a derm. give me the Accutane option again. I know it works wonders, but it's rough to go through. In high school, it really was true...on accutane it did get worse before better. I think I may give it a full month of no Mirena before I sign on for it. I wish I had mine out earlier too. I really dont like hormonal birth control....decided Im just not going to use it again.

The last week or two, I can just run my fingernail across my skin and get these bumps out. There were literally hundreds. I dont think I was ovulating....so the dominant hormone was the synthetic progesteron. The androgen wrecked havoc with my skin. Antibiotics dehydrated it ridiculously. Its a hot mess!!!! I am really hoping I dont have to pull the Accutane trigger, but if I must, I will. I lived through it once and you come out with amazing skin at the end. Smooth as a babys bottom....but during.....it can get worse than it is right now. It can also just gradually improve. I always said it was the best thing that could have happened to me to get my self confidence back and that if I ever needed to do it again I would....but I never thought after 20 years I would need to!!!! crazy!

good luck to all!

MemberMember
(@myhabo)

Posted : 05/25/2011 12:45 am

One of Mirena's side effects is acne, which is not surprising because anything that affects your hormonal balance could affect your oil glands and your susceptibility to acne as well. This is something to bring up to your doctor. They can probably prescribe you a different form of birth control that would help control acne more effectively. I know that there is a bc called Ortho Tri-Cyclen (a daily pill form) that delivers specific amounts of estrogen and progesterone to match the hormonal patterns of each month which in turn stabilizes your hormones and decreases acne inflammations. :)

MemberMember
(@anabella001)

Posted : 08/26/2011 11:18 pm

If youave been contemplating removal of the Mirena IUD for a while a donat waste a moment longer. Do it!

Itas been about 3 months since I had the Mirena device removed and I am overjoyed to report that although I do have a few stubborn little sporadic spots to contend with - something I was told to expect as the body readjusts, the large painful cystic acne I was plagued with has pretty much disappeared.

Another side-effect that has minimised dramatically is joint/body swelling during and post-flight. I travel constantly, both on short and long-haul flights and noticed during the aMirenaa year that I was experiencing terrible cankles and overall swelling a also too when walking around for a few hours of sight-seeing (particularly in warm climates). Iave just been to Europe in July and noticed I didnat get cankles at all this time around.

Admittedly I have on occasion contemplated doing a round of Roaccutane, but thatas probably impatience and vanity niggling at me. I remind myself of how much things have improved thus far, so Iam willing to give it a few more months to settle. With maturing skin, I certainly donat want to prematurely age it further if can be helped and trade one problem for another. In my case itas easier to cover a spot than it is to make aged skin look young. As long as I can cover the spots discreetly without aggravating it further I am ok with it. Ideally I would have clear skin, but all in good time.

In the meantime I will continue my regime (listed in my May 2011 posting) and share the following comments:

1) take Yaz - I had to wait for my next period to arrive after the Mirena device was removed so I didnat realize that I was also prescribed the short term use of a progesterone cream during the few months of transition from Mirena into Yaz. So far I am very happy using Yaz a more so than I have ever been on any other oral contraception. NB: Iam no longer using the progesterone cream.

2) take Doxycycline a twice a day with food. Iave used arithromyacin and minnamyacin in the past and they were both ineffective. Doxycycline appears to work for me with everything else I am doing/taking.

3) use EpiDuo gel a this does dry your skin out initially so you have to be very targeted in your usage. But it does work. Use only tiny amounts on the required areas and donat apply to unaffected areas. I recommend wiping it off if you do! I sometimes give my spots a break from the gel and alternate with Benzac 2.5%. I never use a stronger dose as I donat believe itas good to torment my spots any further with a stronger dosage. In my experience stronger dosages aburna the spots and cause further aggravation, so gentle is best.

Donat forget to drink lots of water and to moisturise. After cleansing, I apply my acne cream to the necessary areas. I then wait ~15 minutes and moisturise with a non-aggravating gentle moisturiser all over a even over the spots (as they too need nuturing).

Iave also just purchased a handheld OmniLux New U device. Itas marketed predominantly to help with aging skin but can also clear/heal spots. The brand does offer another device primarily targeting pimples but it doesnat help with cystic ance so I refrained from purchasing it.

I will again provide an update in another few months and also share my experience with my omnilux device. Again, I hope my comments have helped.

One last special comment for Chiefswife a Oh I feel for you. I do hope your skin is starting to settle. I have faith that if you were experiencing a marked increase in whiteheads, itas probably a sign that your skin was trying to fight infection, bring it all to the surface and heal, as opposed to acne remaining stuck/trapped beneath the surface. Perhaps the antibiotics are working? Fingers crossed you are having a win and that your beautiful skin is returning. I wish you happiness and success with your acne battle. xx

MemberMember
(@anabella001)

Posted : 08/26/2011 11:20 pm

Almost forgot... I've also started to exfoliate regularly again. Once the cystic acne started to settle I exfoliated after a month...and then 3 weeks, then 2... very gently. I also take the time to massage my face gently when cleansing. This helps with circulation which I do believe helps the skin to heal. :)