Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moniza

Other people's comments about your acne

Hi,

I noticed my husband's family comments a lot about my skin. He has this sister in-law who thinks she's got perfect skin, she used so many things on her face. She looks very fake. She had laser done on her forehead to make it apprear perfect. She also wears lots of double coverage Lancome powder in a color some shades lighter than her skin color. She has light brown complexion. She is just obsessed about her look. Every time she would see me she would ask what happened and point at my face. I'm so sick and tired of it. I don't know if people don't realize how rude it is or if they do it on purpose. I would never comment like that on someone's face specially when it's something negative like acne. She literally got me obsessed with my acne and it bothers me worse than it did before. I was on accutane and managed to clear it up but it returned since I became pregnant. And she started commenting and looking at my face from really close up again. I even told her it was due to pregnancy and she way bitchy enough to say that I had it before too. And it really bothers me how she thinks she is so perferct with tons of powder on to make her skin look flawless and she does touch ups in the washroom every half hour. On top of that my brother in-laws also comment on my face specially when it's at its worst, like when there are really visible breakouts they will ask what happened or that I'm getting pimples because I eat eggs. I'm so sick and tired of it. I wonder if everyone is like this, is this normal? Or is it just my husband's insensitive, senseless family? I don't know how to react anymore and not loose it!!!!

I know its not "right" to react with extreme anger, but if I had someone telling me that shit like that I would beat the beauty right out of her.

Just wind up and swing right for the teeth!

It may sound odd, but I prefer when someone makes a comment to my face; if they don't, it just increases my certainty that they're saying worse things when I'm not around.

But yes, it sounds like your husbands family are complete toolboxes. That sort of behavior is not "normal" by any reasonable standard.

Generally people comment on others flaws/misfortunes due to their own lack of self esteem. Your sister-in-law sounds very insecure to me. If she was confident in herself she wouldn't wear so much makeup or touch it up every half hour, let alone comment on someone else's acne.

Generally people comment on others flaws/misfortunes due to their own lack of self esteem. Your sister-in-law sounds very insecure to me. If she was confident in herself she wouldn't wear so much makeup or touch it up every half hour, let alone comment on someone else's acne.

I'd bitch-slap her in nanosecond if I were you. It is obvious that she is insecure, sometimes the best way is to ignore these kind of people because they love it when you react.

Or maybe you can tell how you feel to your husband. My husband always got my back when his family are trying to bring me down with their comments, and it does make me feel better.

Yes, your husband's family is insensitive and rude, but not likely to change. You can either ignore it, or point out their rudeness.

Whenever women would comment on my skin condition I would fire back with "yeah well who is chestier of the two" that would shut them up making them jealous that I did not belong to the flatlands like they do. lol

no not everyone is like that. unfortunately for you your husbands family sucks..especially the sister in law.

next time tel her it's rude and insensitive and maybe she'll stop. this should be a happy beautiful time for you..not an insecure one.

Since you already seem irritated about it, you should definitely say something. And if you don't want to say something directly to them, tell your husband.

And no, this isn't just limited to your family. When my cystic acne was at its worst during the summer, people from my immediate family would make stupid remarks about it. Even one of my best friends would say stupid shit.

I have no problem telling them to STFU because nobody, I repeat, nobody in my family (brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, whoever) ever had acne or never had it as bad as me and they have no idea how it feels.

Seems like you've been tolerating and ignoring her for so long, and you're reaching the end of your tether, tell her you don't appreciate those comments. Hopefully something positive will come out of it - like she realises what a bitch she's been and she stops her nastiness. But even if it doesn't change anything, at least you've stood up for yourself.

Be firm and calm about it though, don't lash out in anger. Dealing with the in-laws is a tricky business.

In my book you give as good as you get......

Next time she says..."What happen?" and points to your face....

you in-turn say (and stare hard at her face)

"I'm sorry I didn't hear what you were saying, I was so distracted by the pound of makeup on your face. Let me ask you something did you put your makeup on with a roller, or did you spackle it on?"

....then wait and she what the bitch says......promise you, that will be that last time she ever says anything about your face.....

i feel you dude, but hey i am 23 and i had severe acne when i was 16. i was made fun of in high school. now i have acne breakouts once in a while. i figured that pointing out flaws is such an immatured thing. don't get rattled by what an idiot has to say, cause everything that they point out is only defining their own insercurities. acne will heal eventually, but a horrible character and personaility stays on for life. :o)

I use to get it all the time, " hey guys, dont you think he would look letter if he washed his face and put some cream on it, do something man it looks ugly".

These people feel better pointing out other peoples misfortunes, it gives them a feeling of superiority. Fuck them.

Hi,

I noticed my husband's family comments a lot about my skin. He has this sister in-law who thinks she's got perfect skin, she used so many things on her face. She looks very fake. She had laser done on her forehead to make it apprear perfect. She also wears lots of double coverage Lancome powder in a color some shades lighter than her skin color. She has light brown complexion. She is just obsessed about her look. Every time she would see me she would ask what happened and point at my face. I'm so sick and tired of it. I don't know if people don't realize how rude it is or if they do it on purpose. I would never comment like that on someone's face specially when it's something negative like acne. She literally got me obsessed with my acne and it bothers me worse than it did before. I was on accutane and managed to clear it up but it returned since I became pregnant. And she started commenting and looking at my face from really close up again. I even told her it was due to pregnancy and she way bitchy enough to say that I had it before too. And it really bothers me how she thinks she is so perferct with tons of powder on to make her skin look flawless and she does touch ups in the washroom every half hour. On top of that my brother in-laws also comment on my face specially when it's at its worst, like when there are really visible breakouts they will ask what happened or that I'm getting pimples because I eat eggs. I'm so sick and tired of it. I wonder if everyone is like this, is this normal? Or is it just my husband's insensitive, senseless family? I don't know how to react anymore and not loose it!!!!

your sister in law sounds like a real winner. she sounds like she has a lot of insecurities and has to find faults in others to make herself feel better. sounds like someone i know...my ex boyfriend. people like this are so difficult to be around. it's almost like they have to be the center of attention and want to make themselves look better by criticizing others.

the next time she says something you should say, "oh, thanks for pointing that out to me, i've been needing someone to make shitty comments, it makes me feel so much better". you should continue by saying, "i'm glad your brother didin't inherit the family genes you did". this should put her in her place.

sounds like she needs someone to put her in her place. why not let it be you.

good luck

scare her.

start laughing hysterically the next time she makes a comment, then slam your hand on a desk/wall HARD. then just stare into her eyes with no expression on your face - no emotion whatsoever.

she'll think your nuts and she'll probably stop.

You have an absolute right to be treated with respect, especially by family.

When she makes comments respond with something that would boost your own self esteem like "if I was worried about it I'd cake on the makeup, but I don't let it bother me like that," or "I'm just happy to be pregnant, so I'm not worried if my acne has come back."